Release candidate 2.8.2.0 - testers needed

I received a message that in one of my colonies a village market was destroyed by a raid party of natives, but the market remained in the colony. the next turn the message was repeated. however, the market was never destroyed.
will_market_destr01.jpg will_market_destr02.jpg

Attachments

• large river.ColonizationSave
    398.1 KB · Views: 79
I have just installed 2.8.2.2 and could start a new game on a random map. After the first reboot I get an error message "no module named faireweathertweakex" and the game won't boot up. That is when I start Colonization, even before I can load the WTP mod.

I have just installed 2.8.2.2 and could start a new game on a random map. After the first reboot I get an error message "no module named faireweathertweakex" and the game won't boot up. That is when I start Colonization, even before I can load the WTP mod.

Clearly something has been installed in the wrong place. The mod should be in its own folder independent of the base game.

All I can suggest is reinstall everything and make sure you follow the installation instructions carefully.

Clearly something has been installed in the wrong place. The mod should be in its own folder independent of the base game.

All I can suggest is reinstall everything and make sure you follow the installation instructions carefully.
Thanks for your reply.

This thing is that I have just reinstalled everything. It's been a while since I played a computer game because we have a newborn baby at home that kept me busy. So I installed Colonization fresh (via Steam), installed the latest WTP and started a new game. All worked well. So I assume all is installed correctly and I also assume there is no bug because the game worked well after the installation.

I am a bit puzzled because the error points towards something that is not in the original game but only in the WTP mod ("faireweathertweakex") but it comes up even before loading the WTP mod. I am not a programmer or modder but to me it looks like it is a cached information, maybe the core game remembers a setting and then after a reboot it is not there. In that case the error would probably reappear after the first game, even if I reinstall everything again now. The solution might be to clear that cache in the core game so I can launch or get to start the WTP mod directly from Steam without starting the core game at all.

possibly it has to do with the "CivilizationIV.ini" file, because that file comes up as modified yesterday evening when I played and it contains the phrase "faireweathertweakex"

; Map Script file name
Map = FaireWeatherTweakEx

So probably if I know the original value for that map name I can fix it without reinstalling everything.

Thanks for your reply.

This thing is that I have just reinstalled everything. It's been a while since I played a computer game because we have a newborn baby at home that kept me busy. So I installed Colonization fresh (via Steam), installed the latest WTP and started a new game. All worked well. So I assume all is installed correctly and I also assume there is no bug because the game worked well after the installation.

I am a bit puzzled because the error points towards something that is not in the original game but only in the WTP mod ("faireweathertweakex") but it comes up even before loading the WTP mod. I am not a programmer or modder but to me it looks like it is a cached information, maybe the core game remembers a setting and then after a reboot it is not there. In that case the error would probably reappear after the first game, even if I reinstall everything again now. The solution might be to clear that cache in the core game so I can launch or get to start the WTP mod directly from Steam without starting the core game at all.

Congrats on your newborn. I have a new puppy so I know how little time you have :)

It does sound strange. What AV software are you using, and is the game allowing full admin access?

Congrats on your newborn. I have a new puppy so I know how little time you have :)

It does sound strange. What AV software are you using, and is the game allowing full admin access?
Good idea. But yes, I am logged in as admin and the AV does not block it. The game actually starts, for example the intro video runs and the Firaxis logo pops up as well through the launch. It only crashes after that, if AV or admin would be the issue I would probably not get as far as that.

Have you tried reinstalling everything? clear everything and try again - it is only 2gb and similar for the mod. Something must be in the wrong place.

Try the base game alone without the mod.

I have played many versions with steam and it has always worked perfectly.

Some of the descriptions of the quests in the quests log are not clear what exactly to do.

Spoiler :

upload_2021-1-28_0-14-38.png

e.g. build 5 abbey = no problem
but "We will do as the traders ask. Our wagon trains..." - I think that was build 5 Wagons?
"...build many harbours..." - how many? Was 5 as far as I remember

The scout in that screenshot was sent by me due to an event in which it read that to explore the ruins I had to sent a scout within 12 turns to the ruins. Now it is there - but what am I supposed to do? Let it sit on the ruins until something happens? Pillage the ruins which does not sound like exploring?

The scout in that screenshot was sent by me due to an event in which it read that to explore the ruins I had to sent a scout within 12 turns to the ruins. Now it is there - but what am I supposed to do? Let it sit on the ruins until something happens? Pillage the ruins which does not sound like exploring?

Yes, you should wait with scout and event will trigger.

Regarding quests, the same idea is written here:
https://github.com/We-the-People-civ4col-mod/Mod/issues/393

In the foreign advisors ledger

Spoiler :

upload_2021-1-29_15-45-25.png

right below me in the middle is Tuglawina. The guy two guys right from him has messed descriptions with TXT CIV...

Would it be possible to change the titles of rulers during the game?
Because at the start of the game 1492 neither the
"Russian Empire" (Grand Duchy of Moskovy until 1547)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Moscow
nor the "Dutch Empire" (Burgundian State until 1477, first all united as Habsburg Burgundy after the Pragmatic Sanction to the 17 Provinces from 1549 to the 80years war)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgundian_State

GUI question:
Would it be possible to use the empty space below the avatars to draw some furthre out so that their names would not overlap? That is probably only a problem because WtP and RAR use much more AI´s than the original game that would not have had that problem.

TXT_KEY_EVENT_TRIGGER_AT_THE_SWORD_1
"Soldiers from our victorious %s3_unit have rallied behind their combat heroes! Their strength and resolve have firmed! Their proficiency has increased!"

%s3_unit as used by this tag doesn't seem to be correct since it does not show up once the event fires.

PS: btw, this happened to my caravel...

CIV4GameText_Credits_Readme_Hints_utf8.xml :
50x TXT_KEY_QUOTE_ (01-50 atm in use)
39x TXT_KEY_HINT_ (01-48 atm in use)
58x TXT_KEY_HINT_INTERFACE_ (01-67 atm in use)

Is there an upper limit for these?

I think we are safe if we stay below 32767, though the limit might be 2147483647. Either way I don't think we should worry about encountering a hard limit, particularly because this is for each of those and not combined.

For testing I've renamed TXT_KEY_HINT_1 to TXT_KEY_QUOTE_51 but the text of the hint will not show up as one of the quotes in the pedia. It seems that there is another file involved which determines where a quote, hint or interface hint does show up.

In the foreign advisors ledger
(...)
GUI question:
Would it be possible to use the empty space below the avatars to draw some furthre out so that their names would not overlap? That is probably only a problem because WtP and RAR use much more AI´s than the original game that would not have had that problem.
A new diplo screen would be nice. :)

How about moving the Church, the European kings and their governors to the upper part of the screen while the natives are sorted by distance to the player's colonies (near-distant) at the lower part? TBH the huge number of ai nations severely impacts the usability of this screen. IIRC there have beens plans (or even a prototype?) by @devolution (?) to replace this screen. That would be a helpful improvement.

EDIT: typos

Last edited:
IIRC there have beens plans (or even a prototype?) by devolution (?) to replace this screen.
I'm the one, who proposed it and has come up with a plan (well draft) for it, but so far it haven't been important enough for anybody to start working on it. Priority is partly controlled by estimated workload for each task and this one isn't minor.

I had the same problem with the "tweakex" version of FaireWeather. Using the normal FaireWeather map generator worked fine for me.

I'm the one, who proposed it and has come up with a plan (well draft) for it, but so far it haven't been important enough for anybody to start working on it. Priority is partly controlled by estimated workload for each task and this one isn't minor.

Sorry, I must have remembered wrong... ;-) Although a diplo screen which shows more than it hides would be nice I'm fully aware that estimated workload and also personal interest are major factors in developing the mod. (For my own mods, I sometimes had to make tough decisions as well.) And this one isnt't the only remarkable proposal from you. The "tech" tree and randomised founding fathers quickly come to mind which both are IMHO of far greater importance.

If we're looking at the planned "tech" tree I really would like to see included your idea of randomised founding fathers. OFC not in total instead should be the FFs for each of the 4 eras (Discovery/Expansion/Colonial/Independence), as already used by the game, randomised. TBH FFs should appear in the era during which they became renowned for their achievements. ATM we've 92 FFs included in the mod, but we could easily add more FFs while doing so, i.e. by having e.g. 25 FFs for each era we could randomly select 20 of them to bring more variety to the game. Sure, we might have to revise the benefits of the FFs but that has to be done anyway once we introduce "techs".
Spoiler :
In that light raystuttgart's proposal of adding a new FF category wasn't also too far-fetched. Instead of adding the category "Society" I'd prefer adding "Science" which would rely on Education points. These are usually generated by students placed in the Schoolhouse/College/University. Given the role the Church played in education a fraction of crosses generated by priests might also be taken into account. Having an additional FF category would allow us to include more diverse FFs and also readjust several existing FFs by spreading them out.

By randomising founding fathers there is effectively no upper limit on the number of FFs but only a set number of them can appear in one game.

unused FF:
William Brewster

useful additions as FF:
John Cabot (c.1450 - 1498/1501)
Sebastian Cabot (c.1474 - c.1557)
Blas de Lezo y Olavarrieta (1689 – 1741)
Sir Henry Morgan (c.1635 – 1688)
If we need more explorers we can easily find them among those who completed a circumnavigation.

In the tooltip is "Happiness by buildings" displayed by TXT_KEY_MISC_HELP_BUILDING_YIELD instead of TXT_KEY_YIELD_HAPPINESS_PRODUCED. It's also not grouped with the other sources of happiness. (The same might be true for "Unhappiness by buildings")

If the ai seizes one of your towns it can remove colonists immediately although there is still unrest.

I guess this is just another human-only feature. But TBH the ai should play by the same rules as the human player especially in this regard as you might lose your colonists once and for all. And we all know that the ai does occasionally some really stupid things with its colonists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom