Religion in holy cities

Waraddict

Chieftain
Hi, can someone explain me the following mechanism?

My neighbour was running as a OCC with Buddhism. I sent a GP to convert his capital, which was his only city. No other city on the map was following buddhim (checked this on world religion screen). At the moment, he had no missionary or GP that i could spot. His capital switched to my religion. Buddhism reported 0 cities left. Then like 100 turn later, i noticed he had revert to Buddhism and i spot a Buddhist GP heading toward my own capital.

I though he could only generate a GP of his current religion, which was mine at the time he generated his GP. If one can generate GP of our own religion regardless of the current religion in the city, how can you definitely remove a religion?

You can't. Holy cities generate their own religious pressure from their original religion regardless of their current religion.

Sending a gp to a holy city is somehow a waste because it will only be temporary but it can hinder the owner of the holy city (unless you got nice follower beliefs!).

I am a bit confused with converted cities as well. I had all my cities converted by my neighbour (didn't pay attention really), so when I bought a missionary, of course he would spread the "enemy" religion and not mine. So i though "bummer, how do I convert back to my religion?"
Weirdly enough, Inquisitors would wipe away my religion, since they were also bought under the enemy's religious infuence. So I though even more "bummer, what do I do now?". Then, I bought a GP and he actually came out as my religion and I could convert my cities back.

So is the GP the only way to getting back to my religion if all my cities have swapped or am I missing something here?

Holy cities generate their own religious pressure from their original religion regardless of their current religion.

I am not sure about this. I checked the pressure before and after the conversion.
After conversion i checked the display on the city screen. He had 14 followers of my religion with +100 pressure (his city was totally surrounded by my religion) on it while he had no follower of his own and no pressure at all of his old religion.

I am pretty sure that his city didn't revert to his initial religion through pressure but through the generation of a GP. This is clear to me because i DOWed him to prevent his GP to convert my own capital. I captured his GP thinking to settle it, but realised i could not settle because he already had used one of his conversion (on his own capital).

So it seems that holy cities can generate GP of their original religion regardless of their current religion. Is this a feature or a bug?

Thank you for the imput to both of you, i also had the experience that missionaries were propagating the religion currently in the city, which is why i though GP would do the same.

Ok so missinaries/GPs/Inquisitors only care about the majority religion in the city, not which your one is. So if you took hinduism but one of your outer cities is taoist majoirty, you can get normal units in your holy city but if you buy them in the taosit city then they'll be taoist. That means missionaries will spread taoism and inquisitors will remove all religions except taoism. GP will do both. Even in converted holy cities.

If you remove all majority cities of a certain religion, it will temporarily be unable to create any units for that religion. However, as the holy city has intrinsic influence, it may switch back of its own accord, at which point the right religious units can then be made. As there was over 100 pressure on it already this could not have happenbed, but many civs hold a GP in reserve to keep their holy city their religion. This is most likely what happened, it wasn;t made after the original conversion. To conclude, best I can think of is you didn't check thoroughly for the enemy GP - It couldhave been off in another land at the time.

Edit: Oops, this is wrong, tried it, GP work differently :(. Still think it was due to an extant GP though.

My experience is that GP follow the civ's religion, regardless of the religion of the city in which they are born.

For instance, Germany had four cities. All four followed my religion, and then he started a new religion in Berlin. I then captured Berlin and one other city. So Germany had only two cities left, both with my religion. Fifty or so turns later, a German GP comes my way that belongs to Germany's religion even though he no longer owned any cities with his religion, and I owned the holy city of the religion.

I actually also believe that Great Prophet is the only true follower of a single civ's original religion, i.e one they founded.

Great Prophets cannot be bought if you do not have a religion, (I'm not sure if you get one if you have a Pantheon though).

This is correct. Missionary & Inquisitor will be of the majority religion of the city it is bought in, but Great Prophet will be of the founded religion of that civ, regardless of the majority religion.

So just as Waraddict saw - the GP could resurrect Buddhism.

So it seems that holy cities can generate GP of their original religion regardless of their current religion. Is this a feature or a bug?

I would think it is a feature because otherwise I would see no possibility of getting back to your original religion should all your cities have been converted (except maybe the "auto-swap" of the holy city, but that takes time, if at all).

I've got a similar question. I didn't get to found a religion, only a pantheon. Well, later on in the game I wipe out Polynesia and capture their holy city of Hinduism but it's not even showing on the religion page. Korea also founded Confucianism but he got wiped out by Songhai so he's not showing either. So I continue on my conquest and eventually wipe out Songhai and recapture Korea's holy city of Confucianism.

Long story short, I now have two holy cities but no religion of my own and neither of them show up on the religion screen so I don't even know what the beliefs are. The only religions that show up are two from the other continent. I'm pretty sure a Great Prophet is out of the question but I can still train missionaries. I just wish I knew what the beliefs were so I could know which one to spread.

EDIT: I tried annexing Polynesia's holy city. It let me build a mosque and missionarys but didn't help with showing me my beliefs.

Top Bottom