Religions you usually found

I almost always make a bee-line straight for Judiasm. That way I can get the better improvements early and still found a religion early enough to make good use of it through the game.

I guess it all comes down to your playstyle, but I'm surprised to hear people saying religions are useless. They are anything but useless I've found, especially if you founded one other earlier religions, Christianity or earlier. Then you can put it to use generating not only culture and hapiness in your cities, but a fair amount of coin if you can manage to produce a Great Prophet soon enough after founding the religion. Founding a religion and then building the religions "Great Temple" and designating a Holy City can earn you an enormous amount of gold if you take the time to spread your religion.

Hadrean said:
It's always Buddism or Christianity for me. Or both.

Is it better when you found both of them? Or do you need more resources to spread both religions in your own empire?

Hinduism. If I can't get that I moan and try for Judaism. If I can't get that I cry and my game plan is ruined:lol:

Whenever I aim for a culture victory, I try to found at least 3 religions. In one game I managed to found five, with at least one shrine in each of my 3 culture cities. I once managed to snatch Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, Taoism, and Islam. I didn't bother to get Buddhism though, since it's almost impossible to beat some of the AI civs to it, and I sadly missed Confucianism.

Buddism or Judism unless I start with Mysticism or pop it out of a hut very early. Then I work towards Hinduism.

I never get Buddhism, because that's almost impossible if Isabella, Gandhi, Asoka or Hatshepsut are in the game. So.. it's extremely unlikely for me (playing Monarch, Emperor) to found Buddhism. I often found Hinduism (I go for that instead of Buddhism) and Christianity (after building Stonehenge I wait for a Great Prophet, and when I get him I go Writing and get my Great Prophet to get Christianity). I think I once got Buddhism when playing my first game on Noble - playing Egypt.
Sometimes I get Confucianism, I never get Taoism or Islam. When playing a Classical start, I get Judaism :)

I just try to found as many as possible but focus on just one. That way more people will worship your god and not only be more friendly to you but also give you gold when you build the holy shrines.

I make a fortune and have 47% following Buddism as I suppress the others as much as I can.

I don't found religions if I am non-spiritual. I prefer to take the holy city than make it.

I have become a religious whore recently. I try to get as many as possible spread them to other civs, build the "super-temples" and let the cash roll in.

The Thracian said:
I've noticed I found Buddhism alot although recently I'm going to save up to found one of the latter religions

religions in the game seem to be a fat substitute spread on toast. all religions are messianic at first, then, in political defeat, become wise. what are the differences in the religions? one must think that they come to be only in time. what game are we playing? a fictive-time generation of a posited politic. "civilization" is the aggregate of events happening to people; events stuctured into signification according to their needs: we perceive patterns, we name them, and then rever these named patterns as emblem and totem.

khomeini said that "islam is politics or it is nothing". obviously, islam and roman christianity haven't had the event, in our civ, of being defeated and becoming conciliatory. but, even said, what is the difference between protestant and catholic, or baptist and quaker? money and its application? ability to take risks? shared dispair?

more to the point, isn't this tech-y inspired game only about the religion of scientism and the religion of quietism? alchemist versus pietistic monk? religion as banner and costume? there ought to be real differences in the religions, but the reality is that all religions are alike and differ according to what the people believing them have made of them.

i think as much concern was give to the game's religion as was the game's concept of economy... it's one thing to announce that, say, double entry bookkeeping has been invented and everyone gets free beer for a week, and another to say the lending of your money to another civ is available and how does your civ deal with currency exchange and convertablity.

too complicated? too bad.

mike

Confucianism quite often - I go for the courthouses becaus I need them for expansion and founding Confucianism is a nice bonus :)

I want to have a religion of my own. Also I want to have Stonehenge but usually I don't have Mysticism at start, so I have to invent it. Usually some civ has it allready and inventing Meditation, so I go for Polytheism = Hinduism instead to be sure... this seems rather safe thing to do, at least in Noble/Prince. All my recent civs have been powered by hinduism in fact... and I have missed the rest religions. Rather dull in a long run yes, but Stonehenge -> Great Prophet production -> Holy City strategy is what I want.

If I start with mysticism I usually discover Hinduism, but if not, then i usually find confusianism instead.

Would someone be able to put a poll on this thread, I would be interested to see the results from the voting.

Jasond said:
Hinduism or Judaism

Me too, and if I'm lucky sometimes one of the late-game religions as well.

Hymnaren said:
Islam is almost always taken by somebody else. The few times that have not happened, Islam never (accept once) become a large religion. It comes to late.

I founded Christianity and Islam once as Saladin on Noble :whipped:

Your right, by the time you can research Divine Right, other Civilizations have already spread their religion which makes it even harder. I used the Islam shrine I built simply as a way to generate more money. When I saw that I had spread Islam more than my initial Christianity religion, and that other Civilizations were converting to Islam - I simply decided to switch to Islam. First time ever, worked out great too

:king:

Since most of my favourite civs/leaders do not start with Mysticism, I rarely manage to grab either Hinduism or Buddhism. My early pick (unless someone beats me to it) is Judaism (since I go quickly for Masonry anyway, for Quarries and Pyramids) and if I don't manage to get that, I go for Confucianism (since Code of Laws is very useful). I rarely actively try to found more than one-two religions, unless I am trying to win a culture game as a Spiritual leader (such as Saladin).

Top Bottom