Religious Victory strategy help

I don't get those diplomatic victories at all.

Basically you need to make half of the world your vassal, so you get even the remote chance of anybody voting for you. :-S
So far I have never seen anybody even thinking of voting for the human player, even after gifting 5000 gold, 10 technologies etc.
That loophole is the only way I can imagine a victory.

I don't get those diplomatic victories at all.

Basically you need to make half of the world your vassal, so you get even the remote chance of anybody voting for you. :-S
So far I have never seen anybody even thinking of voting for the human player, even after gifting 5000 gold, 10 technologies etc.
That loophole is the only way I can imagine a victory.

My first two attempts were self voting going wrong and I got the win the normal way. I only needed to get friendly with a civ to get him/her to vote for me.

On 2nd thought, the staff shouldn't even worry about this "bug". It's really only useful on Tiny/Duel, and do these map sizes really matter?

The top games on larger maps (will finish 1500 BC and earlier) will not be able to vote themselves in. You might be able to do it on Small, but not larger than that.

Why not? If you don't pursue early religions they will have their own, so no matter for how long they have got your religion, they won't spread it until the AP is built and that will be too late.

My first two attempts were self voting going wrong and I got the win the normal way. I only needed to get friendly with a civ to get him/her to vote for me.

Somehow I have never achieved that :sad:
Is there any trick to make them like you?

Even with +4 religion and +4 trade they somehow only roughly get above cautious in my games

Somehow I have never achieved that :sad:
Is there any trick to make them like you?

Even with +4 religion and +4 trade they somehow only roughly get above cautious in my games

Not sure if I'm the one to ask, I'm pretty sure there is a guide somewhere that lists the events that improve relations with an AI. Can anyone post a link to that here?

Some ideas.

Get a resource trade going.
Trade Techs, even accepting bad trades
If they ask for something, give it to them
If they get in a war, join
Gifting money/techs doesn't seem to help much.. but gifting a city seems to
Gifting a resource for 10 turns helps also
Share the religion

Also, different AI's react differently, so choice of the AI opponents is important.

Edit: I found this, it may help http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/diplo_victory_notes.php

Not sure if I'm the one to ask, I'm pretty sure there is a guide somewhere that lists the events that improve relations with an AI. Can anyone post a link to that here?

Some ideas.

Get a resource trade going.
Trade Techs, even accepting bad trades
If they ask for something, give it to them
If they get in a war, join
Gifting money/techs doesn't seem to help much.. but gifting a city seems to
Share the religion

Also, different AI's react differently, so choice of the AI opponents is important.

I'll try that thanks.
I guess I should practice that during a few games.

my advice for good relations is to not get loads of negative modifiers and most AIs will like you fairly quickly

It's odd they even put this victory condition in the "Beyond the Sword" expansion. The game will not even go to the Sword, much less beyond it.
Nonsense. Like all good Fanatical Religious Dictators, I use the Sword to FORCE my religion down the throats of my oppponents/minions, MWHAHAHAH.

On a serious note, sometimes this is the best way to do it. Some civs love to stay in Theocracy, and you end up never able to spread your religion to them without "tricks". You can try gifting Missionaries, but that doesnt always work. What does seem to work is starting a war, taking a couple of their cities, and then giving them back after popping the religion you want yourself.

Some civs love to stay in Theocracy, and you end up never able to spread your religion to them without "tricks". You can try gifting Missionaries, but that doesnt always work.
You can build a city of your own near their borders, spread the religion there, then gift them that city. It's faster than declaring war etc.

Religious and diplomatic victories are sometimes quite silly.
Still trying to get below 66% to have a vote ^^

just imagine this scenario
"After his glorious attempts to lower his population by dumping 5 million citizens into the ocean, providing 30 million citizens as sacrifices for the Aztecs, hanging 5 million citizens along the borderline as decoration and donating further 50 million citizens to human testing research facilities, we hereby declare Shadondriel president of the world" :eek:

Besides that, does anyone have a list of which leaders like each other and which don't? I just don't seem to get the grasp :(

Hey, get this reference book, it's far better than the IMO rushed BtS manual (the Warlords manual was loads better, the BtS one doesn't even list leader traits or UU and UB stats!)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236346

"Warmonger respect" is what you are looking for I think.

Hey, get this reference book, it's far better than the IMO rushed BtS manual (the Warlords manual was loads better, the BtS one doesn't even list leader traits or UU and UB stats!)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236346

"Warmonger respect" is what you are looking for I think.

Wow, never heard of that. Doh! I guess I'm still a newbie after all. Thanks a lot for showing me the way to improve myself

Top Bottom