Religon in Civ3? (NOT A ANTI RELIGON THREAD!)

Originally posted by bobgote

rofl
:rotfl:

i think there needs to be a joke about street preachers here somewhere....

I think you people need to respect that others have other beliefs, and stop making these ridiculous jokes. For a truly religious person, the religion is the one thing you never mock or make fun of.

@ bobgote and masquerogue: LMAO. How true. :D

Originally posted by rjgo
no, judaism didnt start from a fertility cult that held very sacred mushroom that looked like a penis. i dunno where you got that from, but thats not true.

shalom

rjgo

You mean the Holy Sacred Mushroom I got from my rabbi...is not real??

I demand a refund!!

Originally posted by Masquerouge

Also, Jehova's witnesses' special unit would be a door-to-door-boring-to-death unit, with the moves of an explorer, able to go into ANY city in the map, and makes 3 happy citizens unhappy in these cities :lol:

How about the Mormons...they would have young people on bicycles dressed in white shirts and black pants with balck ties...who sneak up on you and beat you to death over the head with the Book of Moron.

Originally posted by louiethelesbo

How about the Mormons...they would have young people on bicycles dressed in white shirts and black pants with balck ties...who sneak up on you and beat you to death over the head with the Book of Moron.
:lol: it's funny cos its true.

Originally posted by Homie
I think you people need to respect that others have other beliefs, and stop making these ridiculous jokes. For a truly religious person, the religion is the one thing you never mock or make fun of.
I am a strong christian, but i'm not crazily truly religious. religion and belief are truly different things :) And if you can't laugh at yourself then you are just a hipocrite. If you truly believe this stuff, then you can laugh at it, IMHO.

(EDIT): Yeh and also, we are a fair bit off topic here. If you guys want to continue along these lines, start up a thread in the Off Topic forum or something. The Topic is how religion should/could be put into civ3.

I am a strong christian, but i'm not crazily truly religious. religion and belief are truly different things :) And if you can't laugh at yourself then you are just a hipocrite. If you truly believe this stuff, then you can laugh at it, IMHO.

I can laugh at myself, I didn't say I couldn't. But laughing at myself and laughing at christianity is 2 different things. However, I suppose there are different kind of jokes. Like this one I heard, and did not find funny: Jesus is back! Let's find a hammer and some nails.

see, i find that funny in a sad sort of way, but you've got to look at what you know is true and then see how the church acts and just know that it's all wrong. We've got this huge thing going on over here about child abuse in the catholic church here, and you just have to think how screwed up the whole religion is. The bible says it's a sin to practice homosexuality, but now half the churches condone it and there's protests against the ones who don't. Sad to say the church is losing it's power and it's relevance, so I make fun at it's expence.

Hey maybe Civ3 expansion could have a rennaisance period in their religion. Your cathedrals could increase effects in that time. It could be like a golden age!! what a great ided [Hint: get back on topic!]

We've got this huge thing going on over here about child abuse in the catholic church here, and you just have to think how screwed up the whole religion is. The bible says it's a sin to practice homosexuality, but now half the churches condone it and there's protests against the ones who don't. Sad to say the church is losing it's power and it's relevance, so I make fun at it's expence.

This does not show how screwed up christianity is, but how screwed up people are. No one questions that christian authorities( the church and leaders) have done many mistakes(BTW, so have muslim, jewish and other religions leaders), people are not perfect.

Ok, that is all I had to say about that(not really ;) ),
We are now officially, back on topic!

Despite all the faults of the people who belong to a formal religion, the question for Civ fans is still : what are the characteristics that would identify a religious civilization that would distinguish it from other types of civilization?

Are religious civilizations happier: happy bonus for temple & ORACLE, cathedral and Michelangelo & Bach's cathedral.
They also do not suffer anarchy for more than 1 turn.
The only argument here would be from non-christian civilizations that resent getting happy from looking at Pictures (idolatry) and listening to western music.

Do other civilizations types get as many bonus points for their
improvements? ie Scientific get Library, university, GREAT LIBRARY?
How about war mongerers? Only Sun's 'War College"

In that sense I think that CIV 3 already rewards church-going types more than others who would rather worship at the altar of Mars (the War God for those with cultural deprivation genes )

;) :egypt:

The toleranse in Spain that you speak of, seems to be the exception. Didn't the muslims capture the holy city of Jerusalem. And they prohibited christians from pilgrimming to it, and this is what set off the crusades.

Since you are not ignorant of Islamic history, you must have heard about muslims soldiers killing, raping and plundering christian nons IN THE CHURCHES in Etiopia.(This is not an exaggeration, it is fact.) However, these incredibly dispicable acts were probably the exception, even the leader of that army did not like the way it's soldiers acted.

Actually, when the Turkish Muslims took the city from the Arab Muslims is when the prohibition started. The centuries under the Arab's pilgramage was allowed. The place has changed hands every few hundred years. Several times under Christian rule Jews weren't allowed there.

I'm not sure if anyone in history has every refered to themselves as "satanic" with even nasty pieces of work like Tomas de Torquemada thinking they were on "God's side" and all. People who call themeselves "Evil" only seem to occur in comic strips in my experience, but do correct me if anyone knows any better. Hitler thought he was doing the Christians a favour by destroying the "Christ Killers" and certainally didn't see himself as a satanist, although he was indeed very interested in the occult, albeit for mainly properganda purposes. All this stuff about +5 police etc sounds a bit like Alpha Centauri, so most of us will be familliar with such a system.

I'd like to see a whole lot more resources and luxuries available personally.

:egypt:

In case someone missed the chat or haven't got an afternoon for reading through the logs, here is the semi-official Firaxis opinion on the subject of this thread (remember the subject :D )

<m_m_x> jeff/mike:any new religion concepts in "ptw"?(like small religion wonders,city improvements,units.....)
<+Jeffrey_Morris_FIRAXIS> mmx: Abstracting culture into a game mechanic was hard enough. We'll save religion for another game..

So Civ4 it is then, I guess...

Originally posted by Ozymandius

Do other civilizations types get as many bonus points for their
improvements? ie Scientific get Library, university, GREAT LIBRARY?
How about war mongerers? Only Sun's 'War College"
Scientific have Isaac Newtons college and SETI program.
Militaristic also have Universal Suffrage

There's no problems there. You might have an point with Expansionist tho, altho i guess pyramids etc help you expand, Great Lighthouse to get more trade and contacts. So maybe not even there :)

Scientific have Isaac Newtons college and SETI program.
Militaristic also have Universal Suffrage
What do you mean, Scientific HAS Isaac Newtons and Miliatry HAS Universal Suffrage. I know these wonders fit under the respective civilization specific abilities, but does that mean that building Isaac Newtons college is easier (less shields) to build for scientific civilizations, like library is.??

What do you mean, Scientific HAS Isaac Newtons and Miliatry HAS Universal Suffrage. I know these wonders fit under the respective civilization specific abilities, but does that mean that building Isaac Newtons college is easier (less shields) to build for scientific civilizations, like library is.??

no, in same relation to Ozymandius's post. They have wonders that are relative to the traits and enhance them further. They are no easier to build. That would be too much of an advantage methinks.

The idea of choosing a religion for your civ gives me a very sick feeling in my stomach. Choosing governments makes sense, you can't be communist and democratic at the same time (Yes I know you can, but not in this game). However, religions vary greatly in all civilizations, except for perhaps the Saracens or the more ancient ones. The idea of incorporating a system of choosing religion for your citizens is absurd.

Unless you abolish religion like Stalin tried to.

And another thing, that militaristic has the universal suffrage thing. It makes no sense, Universal suffrage simply refers to democratic rights for all. Yeesh.

Religious civs have an advantage because their improvements come very early in the game. I generally choose the Egyptians because of the happiness bonus with cheap temples and no anarchy. I get my 100,000 cultural win in the 1650-1700 range before any of the modern stuff comes into play. Domination victory comes too early to get a high score. SETI bonus ??? comes just before the end of the space race.
Universal Suffrage as noted by newfangle (let the ******** freeze in the dark) above is a total misapplication...
people are happier during a war because the boys are away so the girls can play????? guys can play with guns and women get out of the house :lol: :egypt:

Top Bottom