removing stackable terrain defensive bonus

HogansHeros

Chieftain
I’m trying to make a scenario with stackable terrain. I’ve added forts everywhere, but this gives a defensive bonus to units. To counter this I could increase the attack of all units or lower there defense, but then cities become vulnerable.
What is the best way to counter the extra defensive bonus created by adding forts to make terrain stackable?

I would recommend taking a look at Jorrit Vermeiren's Civ Stack 1.1 utility at Mercator's site:

http://www.civgaming.net/mercator/mapedit/downloads.html

Using this tool you can instantly add fortresses or airfields to all squares or to certain terrain types. Make sure you backup your original save as you cannot use the tool to undo anything!

I would recommend taking a look at John Ellis' Bonaparte scenario for tips on how to get the best out of units when playing with stackable terrain:

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Bonaparte

Using airbases for stackable is an option as it does not have a defensive bonus but I think there is some negative consequences for movement (all terrain becomes RR?) and I guess it would not work if you are making a scenario with air units.

It is probably best if a more experienced Civ player explains this!

What is your scenario about?

I'm (slowly) working on a Civil War scenario, so maybe airbases would work better, thanks for the idea.

Airbases are only an option if you're using Test of Time, though.

In all earlier Civ2 versions, as Werd was saying, airbases basically act like city tiles (without the actual city). They get free railroad and irrigation (or farmland if near a city with a Supermarket). So you end up with a fully railroaded map.

ToT fixed that bug so airbases don't get the free irrigation and railroad.

Can you devote a terrain type with high defensive bonus to cities? If so, then you could compensate for the relative weakening of cities that ubiquitous forts cause.

Good idea to us a spare terrain type for high defence city squares! Finding alternative uses for the standard terrain types gives the designer a whole new range of options!

Which civil war are you working on, English, Spanish or American?

I'm working on American Civil War. I think that making a new terrain for cities would work, especially because there should not be many (if any) new cities built. That's a great idea that I had not thought of.

Top Bottom