Request for a little help on a side project

Thunderbrd

C2C War Dog
I'm working on some stuff here and I need a little help from those who are good at poring over the pedia.

I'll be requesting lists of buildings and techs and who knows perhaps what else. It is most helpful if they are listed with the XML type names and in appearance order on the tech tree.

The first requests are:

1. Any and all buildings that make military units more affordable and faster to train and that give free promotions to military units.

2. Any and all techs that are associated with unlocking any of the above noted benefits, either directly by the tech itself, or by the buildings or civics it grants the player.

3. Any and all buildings that give direct training experience points to military units.

4. Any and all techs that are associated with unlocking any direct training experience points to military units, either directly by the tech itself or by any buildings or civics it unlocks.

5. Techs/buildings associated with Protective structures and wonders, like walls and traps.

I will continue to update this list with further requests as they come up. There can be overlaps on these lists of course. Your help is invaluable. Thanks!

EDIT: Even if you just propose a few things that should be on one of these lists, that itself could be helpful as well, particularly if you feel what's been mentioned so far is overlooking something.

Last edited:
Sure thing! As this is something that takes a bit of time I'm going to leave a google spreadsheet link so you can check it from time to time as I update it.

Once I feel all things are cataloged I will warn you.

Another request emerges:
  • Techs/buildings associated with Protective structures and wonders, like walls and traps.
Thanks again to all who help here. My side of the project this involves is coming along fairly quickly and I am using cruder fill-in lists for now. These efforts will help me to go back and improve design a lot!

In comparing your lists and mine, I'd like to add the request to collect any iWarWearinessModifier buildings/techs into this as well if we can. Please :) The document you're building is a great tool for me already.

Last edited:
This is super helpful - we should take some time at some point to discuss how the list is being compiled. For your reference's sake, you should be able to see how I'm using it. Here! If you are astute, the cat will escape the bag as to what I'm actually working on.

I can also see how this is setting you up a bit for something you were wanting to work on yourself ;)

One very frustrating thing about this list I'm finding as I'm taking a deeper look to get a little extra info on these buildings, is just how much a mishmash hodgepodge of stuff that hasn't been updated in a long time and is somewhat out of date to the current mod needs many of the applications of these tags actually are. I can REALLY see some improvements and streamlines looming as a side project to all this.

I'm also starting to think I'm going to need to identify techs/buildings that unlock units too - but I know that's super overwhelming so let's not stress on that part yet.

I think a lot of those cases can be found by some very simple XML search scripts.
The problem is that it is easy to miss some technicality, such as different ways to set up a tag or files in unexpected places, so you will still need someone to go through and look for what was missed.

Thank you for sharing your information, I will adapt my spreadsheet to conform more with yours.

I think a lot of those cases can be found by some very simple XML search scripts.
The problem is that it is easy to miss some technicality, such as different ways to set up a tag or files in unexpected places, so you will still need someone to go through and look for what was missed.
There are a few ways to cross reference information and you're right and in some ways, this request is a way to help me find what I have missed already under a different method.

Is this how you're going through things Kation? By tag use searches? Or are you using a different method? Just curious - thought we might benefit from a little discussion on the how we've employed. My initial lists were derived from my attempts to categorize all buildings but it's growing clear that this attempt was extremely clumsy for this purpose.

Thank you for sharing your information, I will adapt my spreadsheet to conform more with yours.
I appreciate that. You were going above and beyond what I initially requested but there's not much there that isn't helpful so it's really nearly perfect.

There are a few ways to cross reference information and you're right and in some ways, this request is a way to help me find what I have missed already under a different method.

Is this how you're going through things Kation? By tag use searches? Or are you using a different method? Just curious - thought we might benefit from a little discussion on the how we've employed. My initial lists were derived from my attempts to categorize all buildings but it's growing clear that this attempt was extremely clumsy for this purpose.

I appreciate that. You were going above and beyond what I initially requested but there's not much there that isn't helpful so it's really nearly perfect.
I think its like that:
1. In pedia notice how thing you were looking after is named. That is this method needs using pedia A LOT if you are going trough all buildings/units to find ones that do certain stuff.
2. Use Notepad++ to search >String< - Folder would be Caveman2Cosmos, and files to search trough would be *text*.xml
3. Now it found some places where String was found between tags.
4. In game name its TXT_KEY_TYPE_ACTUALSTRING

Example:
Spoiler :

1.png
2.png

I think its like that:
1. In pedia notice how thing you were looking after is named. That is this method needs using pedia A LOT if you are going trough all buildings/units to find ones that do certain stuff.
2. Use Notepad++ to search >String< - Folder would be Caveman2Cosmos, and files to search trough would be *text*.xml
3. Now it found some places where String was found between tags.
4. In game name its TXT_KEY_TYPE_ACTUALSTRING

Example:
I'm thinking it would take forever to go through visually looking into everything like that to start. Why not start with a search through the basic buildings file for the uses of a particular tag, then grep the modules folder for uses of that tag, then after compiling all the buildings and their unlocking techs on a list, find all the xgrid values of those techs, then sort by xgrid, then fill in details about how the tag is used.

It strikes me that even opening the mod would make this a much rougher process. But identifying the tags you want to search for might benefit from starting that way for a bit. Which has been done I think at this point.

I'm thinking it would take forever to go through visually looking into everything like that to start. Why not start with a search through the basic buildings file for the uses of a particular tag, then grep the modules folder for uses of that tag, then after compiling all the buildings and their unlocking techs on a list, find all the xgrid values of those techs, then sort by xgrid, then fill in details about how the tag is used.

It strikes me that even opening the mod would make this a much rougher process. But identifying the tags you want to search for might benefit from starting that way for a bit. Which has been done I think at this point.
I guess this works too, but mod loads under minute for me and Toffer's pedia is almost instantaneous.

I guess this works too, but mod loads under minute for me and Toffer's pedia is almost instantaneous.
It may be but reading through it all is tedium in the extreme. Nothing is there to filter things for the mind aside from the brain itself so it gets taxing.

Is this how you're going through things Kation? By tag use searches? Or are you using a different method?

I simply go through the buildings pedia and look for anything related to what you are looking for. Less than one second per building. When I find something I minimize and open the corresponding file to see its XML attributes.

I simply go through the buildings pedia and look for anything related to what you are looking for. Less than one second per building. When I find something I minimize and open the corresponding file to see its XML attributes.
OK. You might want to consider what I described above. I think the way you're doing it might be a little painful over time but it's appreciated no matter how you go about it anyhow.

There's the building files in the core xml and the files in the modules. The cool thing is that most all uses of a tag that are to set it at default have been removed so if you just scan with say, Grepwin, the modules folder and just search all instances of those tags in use in the core bldg files, you'd catch them all a lot faster. I'm sure you've worked with notepad++ to search for all before right? Makes a nice tight list at the bottom for ya. If you open up all the files found in the modules that are using the tag, you can then search for all of that tag in use in all open files and grab a nice list of everything in all of them at once.

TBH, you're probably more likely to miss them by hunting them down by eye.

Top Bottom