Reseed!

DonQuiche

Emperor

Overview
Preview the map. Not satisfied? Regenerate it!
Open it from the diplo corner menu (top right).
Licensed under GPL v3.

It will reset the map, players, etc. Some things cannot be reset (religions, etc), but you will be warned in due time and asked whether you still want to continue.

Compatibilty
  • Can be used with or without Gods and Kings. With or without DLC.
  • Does not modify any of the original files.
  • Should work on macs.
  • Should be compatible with most mods. A few of them may not work as intended, though, if their Lua code defines an initialization routine that is only ran the first time the mod is loaded in a game, by persisting a special flag that prevents further executions on subsequent reloads.
  • Modders willing to add a compatibility hack will have new LuaEvents in a few days, keep following this thread.

Languages
  • Map options and type are always in your client's language.
  • Full localization in English, Chinese or Russian.

Frequent questions and problems
  • The fog's minimap is not restored after you turn on fog. This is a civ5 bug, it cannot be fixed. Click "Fix the minimap".
  • The game crashes or freezes on the loading screen. This happens on some computers, it may be caused by other mods. Complain to Firaxis, not to those mods' authors.

Installation and launch
Notes below are for PC only. Mac users should look at the FAQ for Civ5 on the Mac.
  • Unzip the archive in "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Mods". You should have, among others, a file such as "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Mods/Reseed (v1)/Reseed (v1).modinfo"
  • Delete older versions if any and flush the cache (delete all files in "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Cache").
  • Start or restart Civilization 5.
  • Enable the mod. Click "mods", then "browse mods" and check it.
  • Start or load a game from the mods menu. From "browse mods", click "next" at the bottom right, check that "Reseed!" is listed, click "single player" (on top). Start a new game or load an old one.
  • Click the diplo corner button (the smallest button on the top right corner) or hit Ctrl+Shift+R. Then click "Reseed!" to open the mod's window.

Credits
  • All the people who help in this very thread, submit bug reports, feedback, or make funny jokes. You're welcome here, please just don't eat over the sofa, I hate to find crumbs.
  • IVLIVSCAESAR for the Chinese localization.
  • Zodiak69 for the Russian localization.

Download sources
  • The CivFanatics database
  • The attached files at the bottom of this thread (one file per version, you only need the most recent).
  • The Steam workshop for Civ5 (category: other).

Attachments

• Reseed! (v 8).zip
    313.1 KB · Views: 826
  • Reseed! (v 9).zip
    313.1 KB · Views: 1,173
  • Reseed! (v 10).zip
    317.9 KB · Views: 1,830
  • Reseed! (v 11).zip
    319.2 KB · Views: 14,073
Troubleshooting (before you report a bug)
Do you think you found a bug ? I will be glad to fix it but I need your help. First let's spot the cause of the problem. ;)

Do you use a legal and up-to-date version of the game ?
Please do not report bugs if you play with modified or obsolete versions of the game. As much as you want to use this mod, trying to find ghost bugs will only make me lose my time. :(

Flush cache and completely erase previous versions
For many mods, previous versions tend to conflict with recent ones, even when they're not loaded. So a good habit in case of bugs is to delete the old version and flush the cache.
  • Quit civilization 5
  • Delete the old version's folder in My Documents\My Games\Civ5\Mods
  • Delete all files and folders in My Documents\My Games\Civ5\Cache

Test without any other mod
Although Reseed! should be compatible with all mods, some of them may add unexpected, strange, or malformed data. Nothing I can't fix though, as long as you can identify the culprit.
  • First test Reseed! without any other mod loaded (use a fresh new game).
  • Then enable both Reseed! and another mod, in order to test addons one by one.
  • If you found the culprit, then please report it in this thread, I will quickly make Reseed! compatible with your beloved mod.

Bug reporting

The infos I need
  • Do you play on PC or Mac?
  • Do you have the Gods & Kings expansion or not?
  • Is it a legal and up-to-date version? Please be honest, there are no FBI agents lurking on forums, they have better ways anyway.
  • Your processor if you experience a crash.
  • A description of the problem.
  • A screenshot may help or not, it's up to you to decide.
  • If the problem is caused by a mod, the mod's name, version, and where you got it ("steam workshop" or an url).
  • Reseed's error message if you got one, a LUA log otherwise. The log is always better but the error message is often enough.

Making a LUA log when needed
  • Close civilization V.
  • Open config.ini with the notepad (My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5)
  • Search for the line "LoggingEnabled = 0" and replace it with "LoggingEnabled = 1". Do the same with "EnableLuaDebugLibrary = 0": set it to 1. If this line does not exist, add it before LoggingEnabled.
  • Save config.ini and close
  • Start civilization V.
  • Start a new game with Reseed! enabled, open it and reproduce the problem.
  • Close civilization V (may not be necessary, not sure, you may check for an error line at the bottom of the log)
  • Add lua.log in your post, either as an attachment (compressed to zip or renamed to lua.txt), or within a spoiler markup.
  • If you don't know how to attach a file to your post, click "go advanced" to use the advanced edition mode, then click "manage attachments".

Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

well done :)

Ooo, I like this, Its so painful having to exit out to the menu and reput all your settings (I'm very specific about them too.)

I love it, but when i restart (reseed) and i have the settings for legendary resources. Its looks always better (the map), as when i start a game normally. Hell i dont know , why this is but its great. Well done.
:bowdown:

Thanks for this, its something I've wanted for a long time. I'll try it and get back to you.

As mentioned on steam workshop, more information about the auto-lose bug. Turns out it was easy to limit variables as the issue happens even with no other mods enabled, as soon as I use maptype "ancient lakes". See original text below. Running Gods & Kings without other (non-free) DLC. Assuming you can reproduce this, but let me know if you need more info or want more tests ran.

Original Steam Workshop text so you don't have to go treasure-hunting for information:

"I found a reproducible (sp?) way to make the mod auto-lose the game. Happened 2/3 times I tried, the 2 times it did so I was running ancient lakes maptype, different type when it did not auto-lose. Auto-lose happens after clicking regenerate map but before loading the new map.

Will check/limit other variables like other mods then post on forum again if still necessary. Screenshot saved."

just downloaded and tried.....works well even with the almost 100 mods i have...yes i know its a lot but the more complex the better, only issue i have is i have 2 mods "rotate starting position" and "add extra settler and worker" and when this regens the map i loose the extra settler and worker, and the option to rotate (pick a new start loc) is no longer there so was hoping it would be possible to make this compatible with those 2 mods without having to have multiple copies of this mod, course with ige if the units can't be done at least i could manually place them, but the rotate locs option is a must

**edit: unfortunately i have no clue where or how i got those mods if you need them to check on this

**edit2: well the mod "maps- rotate starting position" is on the steamworks site, unfortunately the add extra settler/worker mod must have been on the original in game mod list cause i cant find it now, just trying to make this as easy as possible for ya

Thank you for the cheers everyone. :)

@Gilgamesh
Either it's your imagination, either I don't have any explanation. Anyway since those are good news at worst... ;)

@wqadsdsa
Thank you very much! I will run tests with the ancient lakes map and see whether I can fix that. :)

@aender
I will look at that mod to rotate position and see if I can do something about it. Regarding the extra settler mod, it *should* work since I took extra steps to ensure that mods modifying difficulty levels and civs' advantages would be taken into account. Now maybe that mod's author used a non-standard way to add them, then there would be no solution. You can post an archive of this mod here if you want, or send it to me through PM.

Version 2 has been released.

Changes
  • Reseting now also resets gold, techs, policies, culture, faith, and turn number. Although there are still things that cannot be reste, I thought it would still be better to reset as much as possible things.
  • Reseed now automatically cleans up its autosave.

Bugfixes
  • When you started the game with a map/scenario rather than a map script, Reseed will automatically select a map script when you open it. Since it's not possible (too much work) to load maps, at least this change will prevent the user to try to reset the game without any mapscript selected, hence causing an instant game over.
  • Will be more resistant against errors in other mods and map scripts.

@wqadsdsa
The ancient lakes is a map, not a map script, and Ressed cannot deal with maps themselves. So now Reseed! will just select a map script instead.

@aender
I looked at the "rotate position" mod and it's a "bug" from this mod: it also happens if you try to save and reload manually. I informed his author about it.

and the option to rotate (pick a new start loc) is no longer there

V6 of Rotate Start Positions (just uploaded to Steam Workshop) should fix this, let me know if it doesn't or if there are other issues.

W

"@Mowgli
Interesting... it means that civ5 did run some of its algorithms before it should have. Here are some hypotheses, I would like you to help me understand why it happens on your computer.
* Did any error pop up?
* Is the "game over" still triggered if you manually load the "__restart" save?
* Did you change some of the civ5 settings in order to improve performances (especially multithreading)?
* What is your processor?
* Did you have other mods enabled and which ones?
* Did you test with different civs? Otherwise, which civ did you use?
* Did you test with different maps ? Otherwise, which one did you use?

If possible, I would like to have your config.ini file and a LUA log (look at the official tread, bottom of the second post). You can post them on CivFanatics[/I][/I]."

It does not save a "restart" save
2,8 ghz, 4 cores, intel(R) Q9550
No settings changed
The other mods are IGE (v.28) and extended eras (v.5)
Tried pangea and continents with the Aztec and Austria and Byzantinum

I have tried it a lot of times now, and sometimes the new map loads and all my units are gone. The end turn button says "please wait" forever. So I have to quit manually, no defeat menu pops up..

Here is the file
View attachment config.rar

@Mofasa
Hello and welcome on CivFanatics. :)
Unfortunately, none of that rings a bell. I tried to use the same mods, I tried to play with your own config.ini, your processor is not some old and ugly beast and civ5 should use about the same level of parallelism with it, etc. And I already tested Reseed with those maps.

It seems like I will need your lua log (please look at post #2) in order to figure out what is happening. Load civ5, try to regenerate a map, watch it throw a game over at you, quit and post the log here. Also...
* Do you play on macs?
* Is your version up-to-date and legal (unmodified)?
* Do you have Gods & Kings or not?

Finally, regarding the end turn menu, it's because the Reseed popup is opened. Close it and it should be fine.

Version 3 has been released.

Changes
  • Better debugging output to trace generation problems and instant "game over".

Bugfixes
  • Agriculture (free techs in general) will be correctly granted to you when you regenerate the map.
  • There was a bug with some maps like Fractal, preventing the map script to be ran.

For users plagued with the "instant game over" bug, please use this version (or the latest one from Steam) to provide me the lua log I need to fix it. See post #2 for how to make a lua log.

i dont think its a bug so much as its designed to close and stop once you do anything.....afterall once you select the spot your starting and do something..ie..select a unit action or save or anything other then hit the forward/backwards buttons it closes down, with the exception to opening this or ige and using the remove fog buttons, which is what i usually do, look at map and then use the rotate to try to find a smaller continent where i'm relatively alone. with that said i doubt this would be compatible unless its possible to have this not just redo the map and reset everything but actually start a new game with same parameters

As Whoward said, he modified his mod to make our both mods fall in love, so yes it was possible. ;)
His mod still closes itself when you found a city or end turn, it's just that it now allows you to save and reload.

Top Bottom