ReShade for Civ IV

Anirban Mandal

Chieftain
Rehade is a shader injector (https://reshade.me/). I was looking into using reshade in civ iv, and from my preliminary tweaking, there were some positive results. I will look into detail what each shader does, and try to come up with a good configuration for the game. I thought it would be a good idea if we got together and see if we could perhaps come up with interesting results. I am attaching screenshots so that you may assess if it is worth to invest your time in this endeavor. It uses only two shaders, filmic sharpen and vibrance (and there are many shaders).

PS - I totally suck at playing Civ and get my ass handed over.

I've already adjusted the terrain colors to my liking through customized textures, but a sharpness filter could be an improvement; screenshots attached. That said, I suppose increasing the sharpness of the individual texture files (terrain, button icons) would have a similar effect and would avoid the baggage of ReShade. Which doesn't seem so bad – startup is a bit slower, but turn times (unsurprisingly) are practically not affected at all on my end. At the least, ReShade is useful for figuring out how to adjust the texture files. Thanks for posting about it.

I've found it helpful to set
Code:
[INPUT]
KeyScreenshot=0,0,0,0
KeyMenu=36,0,1,0
in ReShade.ini (BtS install directory). This should disable the redundant screenshot function (Civ 4 can even take high-res screenshots if Ctrl is held – though I forgot to do that for this post) and rebind the ReShade menu from [Home] to [Shift+Home]. (Civ 4 uses Home for city cycling.)

Renaming the d3d9.dll that ReShade places in the BtS install directory in order to temporarily disable it also seems like handy tip. (Found here: pictureAmoebae.tumblr.com/.../hi-is-there-a-way-to-temporarily-disable-reshade)

Attachments

• luma_sharpen_0.9_0.063.jpg
    luma_sharpen_0.9_0.063.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 156
  • without_filters.jpg
    without_filters.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 167
Top Bottom