[GS] resource question

slo

Warlord
So, I still don't understand how they implemented the new resource mechanic.
If I have 5 damaged swordsmen, how much iron do I need to repair them? Do I just need to have the iron or do I actually spend the iron?

If anyone could explain what they know about the mechanic I would appreciate it.

thanks.

slo

You just need to have 1 Iron in your stockpile to repair infinite numbers of Swordsmen. It doesn't consume the Iron to repair them.

I wish they added in that each turn of repair costed 1 iron, although obviously we'll need to wait and see how things actually play out.

I believe 50 empire wide is the base. Since each unit requires 20 to build it may be a bit of an obstacle when it comes to suddenly building up large armies. I'm not sure how much each encampment building adds. Also, interested to see if there's any difference between upgrading a unit or building/buying one from scratch. I.E. my swordsmen cost me 20 Iron...will upgrading him to a musketman also cost me 20 Nitre?

not sure how much each encampment building adds

+10 I believe. I'm not sure if that stacks with multiple buildings (like +10 for each armory). I believe they do.

that's disappointing that you only need 1 source to repair 10 units....

do we know how oil and uranium work yet? I believe I heard that tanks use oil per turn?

do we know how oil and uranium work yet? I believe I heard that tanks use oil per turn?

I think generally speaking, most of the late game units don't have as much upfront cost, but cost 1 oil per turn in "maintenance". If you don't have it, they have a big combat penalty (was it like -20?).

Many late game units have an initial build resource requirement plus a per turn maintenance requirement.

If I recall correctly, there's a variable combat penalty proportional to the deficit in resources required by these units and what is available.

Many late game units have an initial build resource requirement plus a per turn maintenance requirement.

If I recall correctly, there's a variable combat penalty proportional to the deficit in resources required by these units and what is available.

Iirc in the features video, they even used the nomenclature "fuel" for coal, oil and uranium, signifying their different status.

There have been little violence in the early access videos I've seen so it's hard to judge. But so far it doesn't seem to have drastically changed how you play the game. Maybe the late game it will have more impact?

I find it a bit disappointing if only encampments increase resource stockpiles.
Harbours should increase them for coal and oil(Until recently the only reason the UK cared about the Falklands was as a coal/oil station point for the navy).
Aerodomes for oil.
Industrial for most stuff really.

What kinda dissapointed me is that as far as I saw there still seem to be no use for “obsolete” resources. I hoped this granular resource mechanic would put those to use. For example it would make sense to use horses for things like bombard, field cannon or artilery (such weapons were often transported by horses up to WWII), modern naval units could require iron to be produced and oil/coal to maintain and modern infantry up to mechanized could require niter to maintain (bullets have to be made of something)...

if he has a stockpile of 1 iron he can continue to fight and heal normally for the rest of the war? That's a bit of a backward step IMO.

Seems okay to me. Pillaging always favored the human player anyways. A stockpile is just that- a stockpile. That iron exists in a warehouse somewhere. You can argue that they should require 5 iron for healing, but the point is just the same. That iron is stored somewhere and used to repair damaged swords and equipment.

Seems okay to me. Pillaging always favored the human player anyways. A stockpile is just that- a stockpile. That iron exists in a warehouse somewhere. You can argue that they should require 5 iron for healing, but the point is just the same. That iron is stored somewhere and used to repair damaged swords and equipment.

I wonder where they're keeping the stockpile of one horse they use to heal cavalry units ...

I'd rather you actually expend resources healing units. That would be way more interesting strategically.

If that causes the AI some pain, then just let the AI cheat. I'm fine with the AI cheating - just don't tell me.

(Well, okay, tell me. But I'm just going to ignore it when I'm playing.)

So now we do not need iron anymore, some AI will have a stockpile they will sell enough of and I just order 41, 2 swords with my archers will do. Knights are going to be easier now, no more need for an iron mine.
However this strategy will stop you being able to still build chariots and warriors once you have knights and swords. So it sounds like a fair compromise, just sad a heal does not reduce the stockpile, that would be great and to me a proper implementation. 20 iron to get, 9 to upgrade and 1 to repair. Maybe there is an impact I have not thought of.

Last edited:
I can't see resources being consumed for healing working very well.
Would it happen automatically? That would be annoying if your unit is only slightly wounded.
Would it be a decision you take? That might be better. If you've only a limited amount of a resource you might try and save it until units are near death before using it or only use it to heal your highly promoted units.

Top Bottom