Resurrecting my religion

unpossible251

Warlord
Hi team Civ6;

Has anyone found a way to resurrect a religion?

Heres the detailed story: playing as Japan, I snagged the third GProphet. However, my cities were swamped with Brazilian apostles who converted most everything, despite me asking them to stop.

Enough of this, I thought, as I holy war'red him and spent a few turns running down apostles with my knights (gosh, this game makes you callous huh?). All that hurt the Brazilian faith enough that all my cities reverted back to my original panthenon. Hooray. However none of them, even my holy city, have anyone who practices the religion I established. I cant buy inquisitors, and those damn Brazilian apostles are coming back.

I've pretty much run my religious game to a dead end this time around, haven't I?

I thought there might be a way you could re-select your Pantheon and first tier Beliefs, but it doesn't look like it.
So, yeah, you're out of luck as far as I can tell. You might be best off to re-load from an earlier save and tuck a missionary away somewhere safe.

If Jerusalem is a city state that exists on your map, you could become its suzerain. It should then convert to your religion and exert religious pressure for it. If you have a city close to it with a holy site, that might be a way to convert one of your cities back to your religion.

Not positive if it would work, though - it's a lot of effort.

Yeah, I think you have to be aggressive to protect your religion. In a recent game (Immortal difficulty), I got a religion as Gorgo fairly quickly but couldn't expand because I was swamped with barbarians. America sent Protestant missionaries to convert Sparta and got Sparta down to no religious majority. For lack of a better option, I immediately declared a surprise war, ran down the missionaries to make Catholicism the majority religion again, and quickly bought two Catholic missionaries to keep my religion alive.

If only the AI was as conniving about regular war as they are about religion...

I had some interesting religion things happen in my latest game. Where I, as Spain, had already conquered England which had founded a religion (protestant with Synagogues). I had not. I really wanted to build a few of those Synagogues under Protestantism but I could not build a temple in London even with the proper civic. I eventually got my Great Prophet and engaged it in my cities holy site and it instantly converted LONDON to Catholic. So no Synagogues....and I was now able to build a temple. Weird. I always liked using multiple religions for their buildings, then Inquisitor them to my preferred most useful religion.

If it's still available, you can build Mahabodhi Temple, which will give you two apostles of your religion.

That's actually rather brilliant. I've never bothered building that Wonder.

Top Bottom