1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Return of the Shadow: The War of the Ring

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Lord Malbeth, Jun 12, 2009.

1. r16

r16 not deity

oh that one unit per army thing is much better , ı took a screensave when Mordor or Angmar had a Balrog in an army in LotM , that it couldn't be bettered .

2. CivCat101

CivCat101 Chieftain

Screenshots look great - terrain and new units are top-notch just like your JP scenario. Nazguls detecting the Ring-Bearer is a nice feature. I'll download it ASAP!

3. r16

r16 not deity

due to some extremely convulated history on the web , and being the target of some endless wars and what not , ı do not open e-mails and stuff . But if there's any questions about my posts here ı will gladly answer any question withing my capability to answer .

4. Lord Malbeth

Lord Malbeth Emperor

Hey everyone! Over the last few days, I've been (re)tinkering with this scenario, and I've really beefed it up. Major changes include:
    • I've tweaked how Elvish "sacrifice" works. Probably the biggest thing is that I've also added in a Valinor port for Elvish swanships to dock. Basically, if you bring your battle-summoned elves here and "return them" (aka sacrifice them), you earn 40 cultural points, which is far more than you can get in most Elvish cities. This will encourage you to send your Elves to Valinor rather than just "return" them in, say, Rivendell. Of note, Elvish king units cannot be loaded into Swanships (which are the only vessels that can get to Valinor safely), and king units cannot be loaded into eagles (so don't even try to paradrop them in the middle of a mountain and not worry about regicide kicking in).
    • Arnor and the Shire have been removed as playable civs. This was done simply to streamline the whole game. Having to have separate .biqs for different civs was just a headache. Arnor and the Shire have both been partially absorbed by Gondor.
    • The ring can no longer be captured by anyone except Gondor. This is to really make it tricky if you're playing as Mordor; you can't just wait until the ringbearer waltzes near Mt. Doom. You actually have to conquer Middle-earth now.
    • I've also done a ton of re-balancing with regard to units and techs.
    • I've added a few new graphical updates, swapped out a few of the older units for newer, shinier ones, and added in some better sound effects (most notably, the enslavement sound).
    • Finally, the Civilopedia has been overhauled so that it's not so buggy; I also did another proofread on it. Hopefully it's a lot cleaner now!
    I think I'll call this version "2.5," since it builds off the 2018 update, but adds a lot of fun new features. Download link is HERE. Enjoy!
    Note: There are two "labels.txt" files. The default is for Conquest, and the other is for Steam Civ3Complete. You can just switch 'em out if you need to.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Blake00 and RedMaul like this.
  5. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

Finally tried out your mod. Looks cool man! :)

Oh and I replied to our discussion over in Quasi's LOTR thread.

Test screenshots...

Gondor!
    upload_2020-11-23_23-50-15.png

Mordor! (note the big Nazgul Ring Wraith)
    upload_2020-11-23_23-50-58.png