Return of the Shadow: The War of the Ring

oh that one unit per army thing is much better , ı took a screensave when Mordor or Angmar had a Balrog in an army in LotM , that it couldn't be bettered .

due to some extremely convulated history on the web , and being the target of some endless wars and what not , ı do not open e-mails and stuff . But if there's any questions about my posts here ı will gladly answer any question withing my capability to answer .

Hey everyone! Over the last few days, I've been (re)tinkering with this scenario, and I've really beefed it up. Major changes include:
  • I've tweaked how Elvish "sacrifice" works. Probably the biggest thing is that I've also added in a Valinor port for Elvish swanships to dock. Basically, if you bring your battle-summoned elves here and "return them" (aka sacrifice them), you earn 40 cultural points, which is far more than you can get in most Elvish cities. This will encourage you to send your Elves to Valinor rather than just "return" them in, say, Rivendell. Of note, Elvish king units cannot be loaded into Swanships (which are the only vessels that can get to Valinor safely), and king units cannot be loaded into eagles (so don't even try to paradrop them in the middle of a mountain and not worry about regicide kicking in).
  • Arnor and the Shire have been removed as playable civs. This was done simply to streamline the whole game. Having to have separate .biqs for different civs was just a headache. Arnor and the Shire have both been partially absorbed by Gondor.
  • The ring can no longer be captured by anyone except Gondor. This is to really make it tricky if you're playing as Mordor; you can't just wait until the ringbearer waltzes near Mt. Doom. You actually have to conquer Middle-earth now.
  • I've also done a ton of re-balancing with regard to units and techs.
  • I've added a few new graphical updates, swapped out a few of the older units for newer, shinier ones, and added in some better sound effects (most notably, the enslavement sound).
  • Finally, the Civilopedia has been overhauled so that it's not so buggy; I also did another proofread on it. Hopefully it's a lot cleaner now!
I think I'll call this version "2.5," since it builds off the 2018 update, but adds a lot of fun new features. Download link is HERE. Enjoy!
Note: There are two "labels.txt" files. The default is for Conquest, and the other is for Steam Civ3Complete. You can just switch 'em out if you need to.

Last edited:
Finally tried out your mod. Looks cool man! :)

Oh and I replied to our discussion over in Quasi's LOTR thread.

Test screenshots...

Gondor!
upload_2020-11-23_23-50-15.png

Mordor! (note the big Nazgul Ring Wraith)
upload_2020-11-23_23-50-58.png

Would anyone happen to have a copy of this mod? I see that the link is dead, and I'm not sure where my original is.

ı will look up but can't say when ı will be out for a webcafe to post it . (No internet for the laptop and am posting on a tablet)

Would anyone happen to have a copy of this mod? I see that the link is dead, and I'm not sure where my original is.
Your mega link in the first post is still working fine for me? I literally just downloaded a fresh copy of your mod with no troubles.

Either way yes they're not a great site for mod hosting and will time out eventually so we probably should use this opportunity to do something about that. As I recommended to you in 2020 ModDB is a much better option. However if you don't wish to host your stuff there I can put my copy on the CivFanatics server if you wish? There's other hosting options too so here's my full spiel for helping modders with hosting issues.

Last edited:
if no solution happens , ı will load it on Mediafire on which ı don't have an account . So that the link would die again in maybe 15 days .

Your mega link in the first post is still working fine for me? I literally just downloaded a fresh copy of your mod with no troubles.

Either way yes they're not a great site for mod hosting and will time out eventually so we probably should use this opportunity to do something about that. As I recommended to you in 2020 ModDB is a much better option. However if you don't wish to host your stuff there I can put my copy on the CivFanatics server if you wish? There's other hosting options too so here's my full spiel for helping modders with hosting issues.
I'm not sure why I didn't heed your advice back then! Maybe I just got distracted, haha. Either way, the mod has been uploaded to ModDB and should be good to go! Thanks for the help in getting this on a more stable platform.

Top Bottom