Discussion in 'Civ4 - European Middle Ages Mod' started by Azera, Jul 19, 2008.
Sounds like a plan!
If you are refering to reviving EMA, I'm not going to be starting it, just assisting if someone starts it. If you are refering to my byzantium mod, it really was released as an alpha, not even beta.
Is this mod being worked on anymore?
Currently, no. However, if you wish to start it, I'll be more than happy to help. All that would really be needed is transfering it over to BTS. Considering the mod is XML only, it is a time commitment is needed more than coding knowledge.
If it is XML only, then why is there a DLL and a Python folder in European Middle Ages 0.74\Assets?
Thats there because Craig had added AI Autoplay for testing. I honestly dont know why the dll is in there as no one on the EMA team knew any python. (The mod leader might have known a little bit to make AI Autoplay work but nothing obvous)
Eh Im not much of a modder, I just wanted to see if there was a BTS version for download. Is there any version I can still download? The link did not work for me.
I'm the guy who started the earliest versions of European Middle Ages, over 4 years ago. I stopped playing Civ in Nov 2006 and haven't played it since. I just decided to check out my old thread, wondering what happened to the mod after I left. Been toying with the idea of playing some Civ4 again in my (rather limited) spare time and perhaps doing some modding.
Anyway, I was trying to see if I could download the last version of my old mod. It seems I can't, which makes me a bit sad. I don't have the original files anymore. Does anyone know of a DL location or perhaps have the mod somewhere?
I do see that Craig Sutter, Head Serf, and the other guys who were helping me with the mod back in 2006, went on to further develop a resurrected version. I don't have Civ4 right now so I can't try it out.
PS I do realize Civ5 is out. I like some features in it but I'm not raving to jump over yet... new releases tend to be buggy and unbalanced. I imagine that by now, Civ4 should be well polished and mature, which I find more appealing.
My post above looks a bit silly considering it's in a separate forum for the resurrected mod... I hadn't realized that when I posted.
Been browsing the forum and mod info a bit better and see it's very true to my own original work. I'm happy to see it got its own forum and some sort of player base Nice work all!
If I get Civ4 Complete, will I be able to play the mod right off the bat? Or are there BTS compatibility issues?
I wonder if people are still playing this, or is everyone busy playing Civ5?
Been browsing these forums and looking through the mod since my last post (still can't play it, don't have Civ4). I definitely want to return to this project and try to perfect it. Even if no-one's playing Civ4 mods anymore, I'll do it for my own entertainment.
Quick disclaimer however... When you're aged 30, studying at uni, with girlfriend and kids, struggling to stay in touch with friends and family, no hobbies can be guaranteed
So, a quick brain storm of how I want to continue this mod:
* Try to balance even better the Western and Eastern sides, i.e. make a more even spread of civs in the baseline map, add more eastern music, more eastern wonders etc. Meaning both Orthodox and Islamic. I always tried hard to keep this balance but ultimately I'm a Westerner so due to language and previous knowledge there always ends up being a bias.
* One of my biggest concern was always, and still will be, that the mod should be *fun to play*. I want it to make sense from a game design perspective. Not just a historical piece of art. That often leads to decisions that can be uncomfortable, especially when it comes to picking which nations to represent on the baseline map.
* The priority of game play also means trying to align historical phenomena with actual game strategies, like I tried to do with the civics and economic system - i.e. monarchy civics are about improving your capital to act as a super city, burgher civics are about massing commercial wealth and spamming cottages, noble civics are about territorial expansion and cheap military, clerical civics are about taking advantage of religion to improve health and happiness etc. Those four strategies represent the four main classes that competed for power in medieval Europe (king, nobles, clergy, cities).
* I can't tell how it looks in-game but just looking through the /assets files the mod still seems to lack a lot of specific graphics. By now there's a lot more to choose from, both user created and what's new from the two expansion packs. I don't do unit or building graphics myself but I could probably gather a lot of ready made graphics to improve the mod.
* Convert to BTS. I see some interesting mechanics there... corporations could help to represent "multinational" factions such as the Knights Templar, Hanseatic League, perhaps even some monastic orders. Need to familiarize myself with how those corporations work and what can and can not be done with them, XML-wise.
* I don't want to overdo things. I'm amazed and happy to read that some people have actually played the mod a lot. I'll focus on wrapping things up more than ballooning and getting caught up with my perfectionism.
* A good reason to get the mod to a finished state is that I can then work on scenarios! I definitely want to make a good scenario or two to showcase how I intended the design of this mod: a strong baseline for a multitude of more medieval scenario settings. Examples: The Viking Age, The Crusades, the Mongol Invasion, Europe after the Plague, the Spanish Reconquista, etc etc.
Looking forward to getting started. Unfortunately, now is not a good time... I'll likely have to wait until January to get the game. Once I do, I'll play it a bit first to get a feel for how it works with all the new expansions. Then I'll work on my mod
I hope you go with this oskar, played the mod since your version, it was one of the first civ4 mods.
Perhaps you should contact Ajidica, i think he is active and worked in a medieval mod, too.
I don't know how much I can help as I am fairly busy with school and my Civ5 mod, but I can try.
Have you updated this for BTS yet?
I only run BTS in multiplayer games and this sounds like a good mod.
Separate names with a comma.