Rework Trade Routes

One aspect that I think also imbalances it is that I tend to send routes from each city to my capital, which tends to have the most districts.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I think a simple fix to internal trade routes would be to not give bonuses based entirely on the districts of the target, but instead on the "difference" in districts. So if your source city has no districts, you get the full yield. But if my cap has IZ, CZ, and Campus, and the source city has IZ, CZ, and Holy Site, then the internal route would simply be the bonus for the campus (or campus+holy site, depending how you do it). So I don't get any "internal" benefit from having an industrial zone in every city, for example.

I like the above suggestion that markets and banks should give extra bonus to international trade routes. I also think they need to rebalance the cards - I think all the ones that give +gold for every trade route should only apply to external routes.

Finally, I do think it's a little too easy to spam commercial hubs for trade routes. Another change that I really think would be awesome would be that you get new trade routes depending on how many trading posts your civ has established in the world. So you'd get new trade routes when you get, say, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, etc... trading posts. So if you keep running the same trade routes, you'll never get new ones. But if you branch out and complete routes to new cities, then your civ can get more routes to spend. Would also give you a little bit of "do I take the better yield route, or should I send it on a route without a trading post to give me more trade routes later?"

The biggest hole in the trade system is the lack of reciprocity. External trade routes should benefit both sides. IIRC trade did this in Civ V, as I remember sending traders to irritated neighbors to make their potential wardec sting a bit. There's no reason for the game to make trading unilateral in VI.

Top Bottom