RFC Europe: Small bugs/fixes

Hi and thanks for the Christmas update! :D

I was playing Byzantine and the empire collapsed. I thought the UP would protect me from it?

For the Round Church, I found it to be a severe penalty? If you intentionnally put -3 diplomatic penalty, maybe the description could be adjusted, because it currently mentions a small penalty. Maybe it could be also proportionate to faith, just as a positive bonus for sharing religion would be?

Thanks for all your work on this!
For some reason I couldn't open your save.
Nevertheless found a bug connected to the Byzantine UP, it might be the cause for your collapse.

The Round Church penalty should be lower.
In most cases it works ok in my experience.
Anyway, will check that too. It would be great to have a savegame, right before it's completed. In a game where it causes 3+ diplo penalty.

View attachment 535138
Python error when opening the Great Military Instructor page on Civilopedia.
In the 1200AD scenario, when Burgundy respawns, she triggers python errors at the start of every turn, something to do with her UHV condition and culture.
Thanks for the reports!
Both of these are fixed now.
(The first one in the previous update, the second one in the upcoming one)

It's been months since I last played RFCE but it happened in both cases.
I wasn't able to reproduce this.
If anyone experiences this, don't forget to post a save.

For some reason I couldn't open your save.
Nevertheless found a bug connected to the Byzantine UP, it might be the cause for your collapse.
Maybe you have the latest version? This happened to me before (18 Dec 2019), my ChangeLog file for the mod indicates Changes for RFCE 1.5: (released: 2017.05.05.)
This is the latest I could find when I started playing RFCE around June 19.

Anyway, will check that too. It would be great to have a savegame, right before it's completed. In a game where it causes 3+ diplo penalty.
Will try to do this. Will have to play a few hours though, I don't have a good savegame for this.

Maybe you have the latest version? This happened to me before (18 Dec 2019), my ChangeLog file for the mod indicates Changes for RFCE 1.5: (released: 2017.05.05.)
This is the latest I could find when I started playing RFCE around June 19.
Just as an fyi post: after checking this again (and a couple recent testgames) I'm getting pretty sure that this was solved in the previous update.
Couldn't reproduce any issues with the Byzantine UP, and didn't find any further bugs in the related code.
And yeah, if that's the top of the changelog in your version, then you are missing all the stuff that have been added to the SVN since.

Thanks for the info! I will not make the savegame right before the Round Church is completed before a few weeks then. I have first to finish all my games and only then upgrade the mod. :)

Just as an fyi post: after checking this again (and a couple recent testgames) I'm getting pretty sure that this was solved in the previous update.
Thanks for the info!
Ohh, sry, brainfart :crazyeye:
The Byzantine fixes were not included in the previous update, they are among the changes for the current one.

Two small bugs (Revision 1280). I'm playing on Emperor if that matters.
1. If I reload an autosave right after protestantism is founded, it never actually spreads to me. Can be abused eg with Spain or whenever you want to avoid protestantism.
2. I played with France, captured Jerusalem during the first crusade and managed to keep it all the way until 1290 for UHV. The I let it become indy, following which the Pope continued to call crusades until the late 1300s. Is that intentional? I thought the idea is that Jerusalem crusades stop around 1290 for historicity.

Hi,
For the second point, from my understanding of the documentation, it can happen until Protestantism is founded or it reached 5 crusades (in your case just 1), at least what happened to you isn't in contradiction with what is written in RFCEurope/Reference/RFCEReligion.html:
  • The Pope can call for a Crusade for the Holy Land. This can happen five times at most in a game.
  • A Crusade is only called if Jerusalem is controlled by a player who is neither Catholic nor Orthodox. (I guess the indies adopted Islam in your case)
  • The five Crusades can happen any time after 1099AD, 1147AD, 1187AD, 1202AD and 1229AD.
  • No Crusades for the Holy Land can be called once the Reformation has started.

Last edited:
I was playing as Hungary when Austria spawned. The next turn my borders pushed them away from the Vienna tile, founding another city as their capital.

In other words, AI Austria should be guaranteed to found Vienna.

Here's another thing I noticed: No matter how much time happens or how much land do they have, Germany always remains as Kingdom of Germany rather than Holy Roman Empire.

I fixed it by looking into the CivilizationInfos XML. Dynamic Civ names of Germany can be simply fixed by changing the ConditionAfterTurn to the fitting date.

Here's another thing I noticed: No matter how much time happens or how much land do they have, Germany always remains as Kingdom of Germany rather than Holy Roman Empire.

I fixed it by looking into the CivilizationInfos XML. Dynamic Civ names of Germany can be simply fixed by changing the ConditionAfterTurn to the fitting date.
Oh, there is a mistake with the latest DCN additions?
Do you remember which one has the typo?

EDIT:
I don't think there is a problem.
DCN for Germany turns into Holy Roman Empire if it's after 962 (turn 121) and the civ owns cities in at least 7 provinces.

Last edited:
There are several Wonders where the name displays incorrectly -- this seems to happen whenever there's an accent mark over one of the letters. So 'Jasna Gora' (with an accent over the 'o') is displayed in the Civilopedia as 'Jasna Gra' (without the 'o', and with the following letters in bold). There are a few others like it. I'm not sure if it's possible to get Civ IV to display names with accent marks correctly, but until that happens, it's definitely better to leave them out.
EDIT: I found a few more entries where the display bug affects the actual name listed in the Civilopedia:
- Vegvar (Hungary's unique building) displays as 'Vegvr' with a bolded final letter and without the second 'e'
- Torre de Belem (the wonder) looks like 'Torre de Bel[]m' with the second e replaced with a box
- Huszar (the Polish unique unit) displays as 'Huszr' with the final 'r' raised to look like a superscript

EDIT: fixed spelling of 'Vegvar'

Last edited:
Top Bottom