RFC Idea: Fixed Borders

Stoklomolvi

Chieftain
Would it be possible to make a modcomp to simulate modern-day "fixed borders," as was done in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=308404 ?

It would make some interesting conflict, as, say, the French and Germans squabble over Alsace-Lorraine they could actually fight for it instead of just waiting for culture flips. What does everyone else think?

I was thinking on self-adding influence-driven war to RFC, which follows the same mechanics as the modcomp you were recommending. Unfortunately my suggestion seems to be only out for Vanilla and Warlords versions so I'm not sure would it work properly.

Anyway, that's a welcome suggestion. Any ideas how difficult it would be to make similiar changes to RFC?

There is a part of this idea already implemented. Some nations (such as the Dutch) would have a several tiles that are fixed (i.e. always belong to them). It is possible to make the change, but it would require considerable C++ coding.

There is a part of this idea already implemented. Some nations (such as the Dutch) would have a several tiles that are fixed (i.e. always belong to them).

No, they just are more difficult to flip then "normal" ties.

And I don't think that that's what the OP wanted, anyway.

it would only be applied in industrial and modern era, or at least after Nationalism.

I'm more concerned about how AI plays. It could be severely crippled

If the AI were taught to always use the 'claim territory' ability whenever it were in foreign territory and at war, I think the AI would be a lot more effective than it is right now at fighting culture battles.

According to the designer of the other mod, the AI could claim territory as well.

The one major thing this could solve are the often huge swaths of unclaimed and unincorporated territory that nobody can use, like the Sahara. Too many games have I seen the Sahara completely empty and devoid of anything except the Mali, who typically occupy a tiny portion of it. In reality, it would be claimed by a country, such as France, which could then build roads and stuff on it so that it can have at least some value. Other areas, such as northern Russia, are also unclaimed due to the culture limits. Kazakhstan is also sometimes empty. It would certainly create some interesting border situations.

well, it is something I allways wanted to see in civ from the moment borders were introduced. And not only in modern times.

Speaking of Africa, Nigeria needs to be dejungled somewhat.

Speaking of Africa, Nigeria needs to be dejungled somewhat.

How much? I modified my own RFC so the Lagos tile is unjungled. In case anyone else wants to have it so, wipe the jungle entry from the files manually - Lagos' location on them is x=59,y=26.

Of course, not having to do that every time a new patch comes out would be nice. :p Also, after dejungling the Lagos tile I've observed that Portugal tends settle there fairly often. Maybe that's not a bad improvement at all? :p Also, Manila is almost always occupied when available. At little more realistic than having to settle for only tips of the Philippines.

Yeah, Lagos, maybe add a Banana somewhere near to give the large population of modern Nigeria some lip service.

I'd dejungle Brunei City too, so that AI may use that Oil.

Same with Manila.

Top Bottom