Rfc++

Tboy said:
One weird thing with the influence driven war: when I capture a city, it often has something like 162% of my nationality, which doesn't make sense. It might just be a problem with the basic influence driven war, might not.

Just thought you should know.

Same problem here, but on a different scale. As France, I had to resettle Bordaux which was razed by Roman AI when they captured it. However, it had 1820% barbarian nationality at start! And only 2% French... It isn't that big a deal that the numbers are flawed, but it still gave me -24 happyness because the barb part of the population wanted to "join their motherland". The 2 citizens started rioting, one of them starved, the other is still rioting so I can't build anything. At least, when christianity came to the city, it started producing culture, so I'm down to 720% barb nationality and only -11 happyness :lol: .

Yeah I've seen it in the thousands, though fortunately not within the city and not a culture other than mine.

Another thing, When I hover over the science bar, it says the total amount of beakers I've produced out of the max, and then below where it would say the total amount of turns left it says like 24358729342306 turns left. It's something like that anyways, I can't remember exactly because I don't have Civ running right now.

Playing on emperor as Rome, ironicly the game is almost easier that on normal diff since the barbarians destory many of the otherwise powerfull AI civs for me. Egypt, Persia, Arabia, China are destoyed by barbarians and russia seems to be next... This overpowered barbarians are destorying the fun of playing.

hmm, To my knowledge this is less a problem with RFC++, and more a tweak that needs to be made to RFC. Then again however, playing on normal difficulty, I have not once seen a civ fall, so perhaps the Emperor barbarian strength is compensating for some mod components making the game easier? I'll look into what could give the civs an easier time against the barbs.

Oh, something I didn't post about in the 'included mods for next build' part of my status post, I plan to look at the Influence driven war code, because it needs to be tweaked. Between it and the Cultural conquest code it is ridiculously easy to conquer lands. Generally after winning a large battle somewhere the land will be completely mine. However, I have an idea that might help.

What if;
the culture the victor received was vastly less than the culture the loser lost. This owuld in effect simulate the collateral losses of warfare. Furthermore with a long winded fight over a single front, the culture will eventually be destroyed, creating a 'no man's land' along the front, similar to what happened in world war 2. This should only happen later on however, because it will require constant combat along a front, and that only really happens in the later eras when units can be pumped out and railroads can transport them quickly.
I'm also going to lower the base percentage of culture converted, to make it harder to fully exert control over an area.

ALSO:
I plan to tweak the Cultural Decay function so that instead of decaying the culture by a set amount, it will decay the culture by 1/(total culture/100)
IE:
if a city has culture of 10; their city will lose 1/(10/100) or 1/.1 or 10 percent of their culture per turn, IE 1 point per turn at the beginning.
if a city has culture of 1000 their city will lose 1/(1000/100) or 1/10 or .1 percent of their culture per turn. This will make it vastly harder to occupy well develloped cities, however because of the IDW, you will be able to exert your influence on the terrain easily. This will simulate such things as 'the French Resistance' of world war 2. Germany had no problem controlling the land, but the cities were less than compliant.
(There might be a problem with this function. If the system only stores integers for culture, which I think the vanilla system does based on how the vanilla interface reports integers while the warlord's interface reports floats (numbers with decimal places after them for you non programmers), then I won't be able to do this, or any culture over 100 would become immune to the 'decay' feature. I'll need to look at it.)

What are your thoughts on these ideas?

A reason for the "overpowered" barbarians would be the cultural borders of a city. By giving it a x shape initially instead of a square shape, some cities which were meant to posess the extra tiles do not. Most of the times, it doesn't really matter. But some cities do not have production without those extra tyles as they were meant to use them. Consequently, they have no culture especially in the early game where there is little religion and cannot develop. All of this makes it easier to conquer those civs.
Could I suggest a modification of the enhenced culture mod to make new cities start with the square shaped borders instead of the x and then the borders expend accordingly to the mod? Or did I draw the wrong conclusion?

I think that the cultural border thing is fine, except it takes a pretty long time for your average developing city to hit 500 culture, let alone 2000. I think that said values could do with a bit of tweeking, as opposed to 500 and 2000, how about 300 and 1000?

hmmmm, culture ey? I'll take a look at it.

Okay, culture should be revamped, and I think I have the way to do it. I'm going to shorten the first few stages, and lengthen the other stages, but not Legendary. I'll try and make it easy to get to the 9 box plot, but more difficult to get to the fat cross. That should be a good trade off in my oppinion. Overall culture progress to Legendary will not change, however. I'll post a 'mini patch' soon for testing. However I'm going to postpone the implementation of new parts until this is done.

Sounds good, Vishaing. I like to grow my colonial cities culture by great artists, and I want to know do your changes change things in way that you get more boxes with 2000 :culture: ?

I like it very much, almost in love.

The only thing I disagree is the Culture MOD. Why?
I accept and think its nice. But I think the way a City expand sux (THE WAY, THE POSITION OF BORDERS)
Starting with 4 titles, not the normal as 8 is terrible!

That's all. There's a way to change it just for me, and let all others thing of culture mod?

@Titan_br; I do sort of agree with you, however I do also sort of like the slow culture borders;

I'm going to try and change it to be somewhere in the middle;
I'm thinking I might try to make cities start with the normal 3x3 box of culture influence. The next level will not increase the border, then the culture will expand like it does now, slowly. When I get the next version working I will be sure to take some screenshots to show what I mean, because right now I think I'm probably doing a really bad job of it.

If I can I'm going to try and make an option in the ini file

(by the way, if you want to disable the slow borders, in the Cultural Influences Config.ini file, change ;

Enable Slow Culture Borders = true
to;
Enable Slow Culture Borders = false

and the borders will expand like vanilla civ, starting at 8 and then going to the fat cross.)

@Hitti-Litti; I have no clue. Sorry, I'll check it though and try to get back to you. I'm pretty sure that because culture expands more slowly, you get less. To counteract that however, I'm going to take a look at increasing the amount of culture such 'culture bombs' create. I'm thinking about making it 5000. Sound good? That should get you maybe one level beneath the fat cross.

Vishaing said:
(by the way, if you want to disable the slow borders, in the Cultural Influences Config.ini file, change ;

Enable Slow Culture Borders = true
to;
Enable Slow Culture Borders = false

and the borders will expand like vanilla civ, starting at 8 and then going to the fat cross.)

I can't succeed in making it work.
I tried modifying the Cultural Influences Config.ini, and it didn't work; so I went to the CvCulturalInfluencesEventManager.py file and changed the g_bEnableSlowCultureBorders value too.

I tried these combinations:
.ini = false.py = true
.ini = false .py = false
.ini = true .py = false
not one worked.
Every time, I shut Civilization 4, cleared the cache, and started a new game.

Did anyone succeed in having regular 8-tiles borders when founding a city?

PinkPallin said:
I can't succeed in making it work.
I tried modifying the Cultural Influences Config.ini, and it didn't work; so I went to the CvCulturalInfluencesEventManager.py file and changed the g_bEnableSlowCultureBorders value too.

I tried these combinations:
.ini = false.py = true
.ini = false .py = false
.ini = true .py = false
not one worked.
Every time, I shut Civilization 4, cleared the cache, and started a new game.

Did anyone succeed in having regular 8-tiles borders when founding a city?
I did. It seems the true/false thingy doesn't work at all. I have tried every combination possible and searched everywhere without making it work that way. So, I deleted the code line which starts the function instead.
Go in Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS\RFC++\Assets\Python\CulturalInfluencesUtils and open CvCultureInfluencesEventManager.py
You then have to go to the point where you see this :

def loadConfigurationData():
global g_bEnableBordersOverOcean
global g_bEnableSlowCultureBorders
global g_bEnableCultureOverTradeRoutes
global g_bTradeRouteCultureCityBased
global g_bHomeCityCultureChallengeAlienCulture
global g_iTradeRouteCultureAmount

config = CvConfigParser.CvConfigParser("Cultural Influences Config.ini")

if(config != None):
g_bEnableBordersOverOcean = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Enable Borders Over Ocean", True)
g_bEnableCultureOverTradeRoutes = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Enable Culture Over Trade Routes", True)
g_bTradeRouteCultureCityBased = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Trade Route Culture City Based", True)
g_bHomeCityCultureChallengeAlienCulture = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Home City Culture Challenge Alien Culture", True)
g_iTradeRouteCultureAmount = config.getint("Cultural Influences", "Trade Route Culture Amount", 1)

The underlined part is the code line which activates the different functions of the enhenced culture mod. I have already deleted the one that starts the slow culture mod, but it should look like this :
g_bEnableSlowCultureBorders = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Enable Slow Culture Borders", True)
Delete it and all should work fine :) .

captain beaver said:
g_bEnableSlowCultureBorders = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Enable Slow Culture Borders", True)
Delete it and all should work fine :) .

Not yet.
Actually, you also deleted the line that I coloured in red:

if(config != None):
g_bEnableBordersOverOcean = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Enable Borders Over Ocean", True)
g_bEnableCultureOverTradeRoutes = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Enable Culture Over Trade Routes", True)
g_bTradeRouteCultureCityBased = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Trade Route Culture City Based", True)
g_bHomeCityCultureChallengeAlienCulture = config.getboolean("Cultural Influences", "Home City Culture Challenge Alien Culture", True)
g_iTradeRouteCultureAmount = config.getint("Cultural Influences", "Trade Route Culture Amount", 1)
gc.getGame().slowCultureBorders(g_bEnableSlowCultureBorders)
gc.getGame().bordersOverOcean(g_bEnableBordersOverOcean)
Now I can have normal, comfortable borders!
Thank you a lot!

Yes! I'm actually in final testing mode right now, taking a break because my classes start in an hour and I have yet to eat breakfast. I believe the new culture model is a decent one, although not perfect. i had to reduce the number of expansions to make the city start with the 9 tile square but still expand slowly after that. Sometime soon I'm going to talk to TheLopez to find out just where the expansion is coded, and then I'm going to make a few changes and in all likelihood double the number of border expansions.

The Next build will include:
Mod Comps:
*Air Forces Mod by TheLopez
*Regiments Mod by seZereth
Tweaks:
*Culture shock disabled (hopefully just temporary until I find the actual function and learn how to tweak it)
*Innitial Culture influence increased (fledgling culture level made the starting level)
*Influence driven war weakened (hopefully now not all of the culture will convert, also, the Victor's culture gain is less than the Loser's culture lost, so after a large see-saw war it should result in a 'no-man's-land' with no culture influence at all. Trench Warfare here we Come!)

Top Bottom