RFCE 2.0 brainstorming thread

I'm not convinced on dividing Germany further either from a historical, or a gameplay perspective. When would Bavaria spawn for example? 1506 seems the most reasonable choice as it is the first time the duchy was united and had some sovereignty, aside from the few years of Henry the Lion's ban. Saxony could possibly be considered to "go independent" in 1525 with the conversion to Protestantism. A case could be made for spawning Swabia as early as 1488 with the foundation of the Swabian league.

france.jpg
Here's a map of western Europe around year 1000. Notice that France, Burgundy and Italy are at least as fractured as Germany is. For example it is only the burgundy spot around Paris that is actually ruled by the French Crown, comparable to the Imperial cities in Germany. These divisions do not mean that this state is German, but this one is Swabian and this one Franconian and so on, rather they are a consequence of the feudal system as developed in the Carolingian Empire.

France did "centralise" more quickly, although the process still wasn't complete in 1600 and the process was speeded up by the Hundred Years' War (it's easier to justify ruling an area directly when you recaptured it from some hated enemy).

The point, of course, is that the "fracturing" of Germany in the middle ages does not translate to more civs in-game, but rather France using Divine Monarchy and Apprenticeship while Germany is still using Feudal Monarchy and Serfdom.

That said, I'm planning something for RFCE++ (not in the next version though) that could make Independents more interesting. We'll see how it works out.

Germany could be represented better ideally, I agree with all your opinions on this
But it would be very hard to do with the current RFC mechanics, and as Morholt said, the current one is not a bad represantation to begin with
So I'm sorry guys, but we will keep the Germany civ more or less the same way it is in RFCE and RFCE++ right now (with some sort of HRE mechanics of course) - at least for the first version of RFCE II

That's ok, but I hope to see some changes in the long run... the scenario works great as is, but a few tweaks would make it amazing. Especially the fact that NO ONE BUILDS MISSIONARIES or PERSECUTERS

Well, now that the german question is settled, how about a 30 years war? Basically, changing religions would make half your realm loyal to the old religion and independent, so you'd have to reconquer it.

30year war was basicly a free-for-all in Germany, with dominantly pro-papal on one hand, and against the pope on the other ... the site was mainly because of a religiously splintered HRE ... whereas countries such as Britain, Denmark-Norway and Sweden all fairly peacefully changed their religions from Catholicism to Protestantism and Anglicanism ... or at least there was few if any religious overtones to the issues that surfaced

How about this then. Upon discovering Protestantism, half of germany breaks free into a new (protestant) nation and starts a war with the rest of the (catholic) HRE. If germany itself discovers it ifrst, they get the option if they want to take keep playing as the catholics or continue as the protestants.

getting back to Germany spiltting up ... you could make a case for Germany as current could be retooled into acting as the early Kingdom of Germany, petering out with the last UHV in mid 1300's (althrough exactly what those UHVs should be i don't know) and at some point collapsing making room for Austria, Bohemia and Prussia expanding into Germany prober (and Denmark making a play for the coastal areas emulating the capture of Rügen and the control/attempted control of the Holstein Duchy, Lübeck and the rest of the baltic coast) and then Bavaria spawning in 1322-1328 (Ascension of Louis IV as either to undistrubed leader of Germany or the Empreror of HRE) ... following the same principle as in SoI with conditional spawns

I don't know if this has already been brought up, but Wallachia would be useful to weaken Bulgaria a century or two before the Ottomans spawn since Bulgaria has been known to blob and resist Turkish incursions into Europe. It was also cut them off from the Ukraine, preventing any expansion into that region, although with the Golden Horde civ I doubt that will be a problem.

given that Wallachia at the earliest could spawn in 1246 (first mention, getting its own 'governour' / prince but still only as a subdivision of Transylvania) or more likely 1330, where it revolted from being a 'peaceful' area of Hungary, it aren't really able to do a whole lot, eventhrough i argee that Bulgaria have a tendency to grow overly strong

I like the idea of Wallachia, I would have put it in ++ but the old map just didn't allow it. The last UHV would be in 1600 (union with Transylvania and Moldavia) so there would be some time to mess around.

I don't know if this has already been brought up, but Wallachia would be useful to weaken Bulgaria a century or two before the Ottomans spawn since Bulgaria has been known to blob and resist Turkish incursions into Europe. It was also cut them off from the Ukraine, preventing any expansion into that region, although with the Golden Horde civ I doubt that will be a problem.

But a 1300 ish spawn date is the perfect timing for weakening Bulgaria! That way, Serbia, Hungary and the Ottomans can become bigger players in the Balkans starting around the 13th-14th century.

Yeah, we already talked about this with Morholt
It depends how much territory could they get on the new map

Personally I'd like the Armenians, or even the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia.

Personally I'd like the Armenians, or even the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia.

Wouldn't Georgia be more important in the area than Armenia?

Actually we plan to add both Georgia as Armenia as full civs
Also, Cilicia would be the respawn of Armenia - this means they are unplayable though

Actually we plan to add both Georgia as Armenia as full civs
Also, Cilicia would be the respawn of Armenia - this means they are unplayable though

Leoreth has managed playable respawns (though not selectable from start menu)

I think Switzerland and Naples could be good civs, Naples stopping Italian states expanding south and Switzerland north. Also, has anyone considered Greece spawning in the very late game, to take some power away from the Ottomans.

I think Switzerland and Naples could be good civs, Naples stopping Italian states expanding south and Switzerland north. Also, has anyone considered Greece spawning in the very late game, to take some power away from the Ottomans.

I do like Switzerland as a new civ, there should be room for them with the new map. I don't like Naples as much since Naples was controlled by some other power for most of its history. Greece didn't become independent until 1830, but the Greek people usually fought on the side of the Venetians in every Ottoman-Venetian conflict, this could be represented by barb spawns, but another civ is unnecessary in my opinion.

What do people think of a Burgundian re-spawn as The Kingdom of Savoy?

Instead of a Naples civ, why not a Normans/Kingdom of Sicily? They controlled both Sicily and southern Italy for 150 years, and even after the two kingdoms split, both called themselves the kingdom of Sicily. Not to mention, if it was styled as a Norman civ you could have them in Sicily/Naples, Normandy, the Principality of Antioch, Cyprus, Tunis, and possibly England. Perhaps a Norman Conquests UHV?

Top Bottom