RFCE: Emperor challenge & playtest

OK, so what seems to be really off balance (at least for emperor) is the maintenance cost. If you have to go razing cities to get your gold (and have enough troops/ships flipped to you) to do it, that's just wrong. Why not give Cordoba a Berber cavalry to start with?

Also, it must be a hit-and-miss for vaulted arches (most of my games the AI builds it way before 900 AD, even before I think about trying to make Cordoba the largest city, trying to build my smokehouse).

Hungary is great fun in Alpha 6, 330 tech is really slow :) But no problem to get the Golden Bull for Free Religion and the other UHVs are not worth to mention.

Was a bad idea to accept Bulgaria as Vasall, couldn't avoid to fight them (no problem in Civ 4 but it feels very unrealistic) for most territory, else i had to conquer areas where civs respawn, get all isles (yeah, seepower hungary) or russia :)

bye Myri

france with 330 tech is incredibly hard to play.
you have to trade bronze working for calendar (otherwise the pope will research it himself or get it from burgundy) which you still need to research in order for him to give it to you. and from that you will always be the very last in tech. also burgundy is way too belligerent and will declare war on you almost immediately (seldomly doing something of worth though, but trying to get them to give you some tech by peace is almost impossible and if you keep dijon and/or lyon your maintenance costs and tech costs are off the chart. also since the closest luxury ressource is in burgundy territory their respawning is such a bugger.
i usually go for razing them but having all your cities start with 1 population and no buildings sucks too...

or maybe you re really lucky and get some luxury ressources (i got once silver or gems i think) on one of the hills around paris.

I've said it before and again, the problem with emperor is that city maintenance is too high. It may have been OK for RFC, but since RFC E has a much bigger map and sometimes you spawn with a large empire (or have to conquer a large empire like France), your research in emperor (without the money and research wonders) will inevitably lag behind. E.g. Cordoba's empire at spawn is almost twice as big as the old Spain in RFC, and I get -25 gold per turn (i.e. your gold is gone in 8 turns unless you go razing cities which is very unnatural).

This needs to be fixed for emperor to be a little bit more enjoyable.

Top Bottom