RFRE - mod: Roma Victrix!

Pfuiiiii... who is going to stop you!? It is time the Parthian get some (many) SOD! Good luck Germania ;)

The Parthians are my friends ;)

EDIT: thanks for creating great Armenia, at least they have now a home, here in your game! Post a SS of it in your next update plz

Screenshot should be no problem :)

By the way, Armenia sometimes sends out single Triremes into the black sea, which are recklessly ripped apart by the pirates most times. Such a pity :(

An incredible offensive game. You will actually beat the timeline of conquests, if I'm not mistaken. At that rate, if you don't try to conquer Parthia, later on, what will you do ?

Yeah......Loving this story mate.

Makes me feel like playing some CivIII...:)

An incredible offensive game. You will actually beat the timeline of conquests, if I'm not mistaken. At that rate, if you don't try to conquer Parthia, later on, what will you do ?

We will see. I still don't believe i could complete the conquests before 116 AD (I'll have to have a look on how many years a turn is in the first century AD). I have the overall feeling that i'm slowing down and there is much barbarian unroaded terrain left to take.

Yeah......Loving this story mate.

Makes me feel like playing some CivIII...:)

Thank you!

PS: Screenshot of Armenia is taken and will be in the next update :)

Chapter XIII: Final defeat of the gauls and Year of Four Emperors

Year: 46 BC

It's time for a little police operation on crete.

Year: 44 BC

Ah, Legio Imperatio! Piratae are history, though not every pirate activity as the goths, dacians and numidians have pirate ships, too.

Now we are ready to take on the celts another time:

Two defenders, pah! Who do they think i am?

Year: 42 BC

Year: 38 BC

Year: 36 BC

Year: 34 BC

Rome has finally taken revenge for 390 BC! No trousers-wearing, smelly barbarian shall ever lay siege to rome again! *cough* I'm so full of hope.

In the south you can see Argentoratum, which is originally gallic, but has been taken by the Transalpinii.

Year: 28 BC

Lex Papia Poppaea doubles a cities' growth rate.

Year: 26 BC

This tech is remarkable for three things: 1. It reforms my support free units: Velites and Hoplitae Alarius are replaced by Miles Auxiliarius and Praesidium is replaced by Cohortes Urbanae. 2. I can build the Persecutiones Christianorum, which will place an immolatio Christianorum in every city which in turn makes citizens unhappy but enables the building of ecclesiae. I will however not begin to persecute Christians before Jesus is borne... 3. The reign of Nero is simulated by the Domus Aurea which has a high maintenance cost. After Nero follows the year of the four emperors which will cause six unhappy citizens all over the empire until the colosseum is completed.
I decide to go through the year of four emperors as soon as possible and switch production in rome to Domus Aurea, which will be completed next turn.

Year: 22 BC

I have to use the luxury slider and entertainers to retain order. Roma immediately starts the Colosseum to end this situation.

Year: 20 BC

As requested, a screenshot of Armenia, trusted friend of rome:

And a picture of the courageous armenian navy, again out on the sea to hunt pirates:

And another map:

Is Dacia next or are you going to expand into the English isles?

Is Dacia next or are you going to expand into the English isles?

All i'm saying now, is that i'll change the historical order of expansion, so you can look at a map with progression of roman conquests and you'll know how i'm not doing it ;)

All i'm saying now, is that i'll change the historical order of expansion, so you can look at a map with progression of roman conquests and you'll know how i'm not doing it ;)

Good 'o.....but itd be good to take on dacia sooner rather than later.

They get real nasty with SoD's of those 9/5 things that run over hills and enslave bellatores:eek:.

Chapter XIV: The Dacian War and campaigns along Fluvius Rhenus

Year: 20 BC

I decide to go on my next adventure.

31 Legions and 32 Detachments of Auxiliary Infantry (supported by some artillery and cavalry) deployed in three columns march across the dacian border.

Year: 16 BC

At the moment i'm holding all cities needed for the parts of the byzantine empire victory (Rome - Ravenna - Sirmium - Thessalonica - Ephesus - Sinope - Antiochia - Alexandria - Carthago - Carthago Nova). Of course it's still a long way down the road, but one can hope...

Now i'll take the time to slaughter the dacian army which comes pouring out of the carpathians.

Year: 12 BC

The war weariness finally got me. In combination with the year of four emperors it is hard hit: almost all of my cities go in turmoil, just a handfull retain order.

Year: 10 BC

Order is restored througout the empire, i can even set the luxury slider back to 0. The ww obviously is not that bad yet, it's just been the last drop in the last turn. The Domus Aurea, which has been needed to build the Colosseum is an improvement and so can be destroyed. This saves you a lot of money, but, as civilopedia states a true emperor will take on the challenge i will do it, too, and won't destroy the Domus Aurea until Roma may come under exceptional pressure...

Year: 4 BC

Year: 2 BC

Year: 2 AD

As i really dislike delay, i will take a risk again and declare war on the germanics. The purpose of this war is to drain the germanic forces, maybe i'll take the three settlements along the rhine, that depends on how the war goes.
Why do i make war with the germanics before fighting the transalpinii? Waiting until i defeated the transalpinii would mean a much longer border to defend. With the border i have now i can concentrate my troops and will not be forced to spread them over dozens of tiles along rhine and alps.
When entering germanic territory, beware of the scythians: they are in a locked alliance.
That is another cause for me to stay in the defence at first.

Year: 10 AD

Well, a bit early, but they mixed up the years, anyways.

The crucification of Jesus causes turmoil in the hebrew community and allows me to "build" the bible, which will double the effect of all ecclesiae (from which i have non, yet).

Year: 12 AD

Dacia is history.

Year: 18 AD

The stacks which the germanics send over the rhine have grown bigger. I think the largest part of their forces is here or coming in the next few turns.

Year: 20 AD

The Castra Praetoria will regularly spawn praetorian cohorts.

The Persecutiones Christianorum will place an Immulatio Christianorum in every city, which makes people unhappy. However, these will allow me to build ecclesiae which increase happyness, especially after i will have completed the Biblia.

Year: 22 AD

I'm starting an attack on the Ubii this year.

Year: 24 AD

The Ubii bow their neck before the might of rome.

Year: 26 AD

And also the Batavi:

Year: 28 AD

The Biblia doubles the effect of all ecclesiae. It can only be build in Jerusalem once Crux Iesu has been completed.

Year: 32 AD

I have pushed the frontline beyond the fluvius rhenus, which seems to be good to form a natural border defence against the germanics. They sue for peace and i agree to sign a ceasefire with their chieftains.

I have to make a note on Chersonesus: When i took it, i thought it could be useful, as there are barbarian goods in the city radius. Well, now i have barbarian goods from Germany and Chersonesus is still far, far away from completing a Portus Mercatorius, which would be needed to ship the barbarian goods to rome. I think i'll make a note in the chapter in which i took it.

I may slow down research a bit. I'm ahead of the timeline and i think i could let history come a bit closer; i'll make some calculations on that, though.

Looking good for a Roman future.....:king:

Awesome update.

Chapter XV: The Transalpine Campaign and the Golden Age of Rome

Year: 34 AD

Mediolanum completes the first Thermae. These allow a city to grow to the third size, similar to a hospital in the original game. The Thermae cost five maintenance, so you should be very careful where to build them, especially because you can't sell such improvements and the western parts of the empire will suffer once extensively used land becomes less fertile...

Year: 38 AD

The Seleucids have declared war on the Persians. Probably have a death wish.

Year: 40 AD

The Persians have destroyed the Seleucids.

Year: 50 AD

Can it be true? All we want is peace and they declare war on us! Barbarians!

My spies had told me that Aventicum is not well defended. Luckily (and absolutely by chance) are three Legiones Caesaris and some Horsemen around:

Year: 52 AD

Year: 54 AD

Year: 58 AD

The tech Siege Engineering allows construction of three Limes Wonders: The Limes Danuvii, Limes Persidis and Limes Rhaetiae. These autoproduce Munitores, which are good at building fortifications, and will start a golden age.
Sirmium has been well improved since i took it, so it needed only four turns to complete its Limes. The others will take longer, as i haven't connected a city which can produce Limes Rhaetiae (Augusta Vindelicorum will do) and in the east (Damascus, Palmyra or Petra which i don't own) i suffer high corruption.

Year: 60 AD

Year: 62 AD

Imperium Romanum:

What's next I wonder?

Nice update anyway:goodjob:

You should be able to stave off those effects of decay later on with the condition your empire is in now....nice work:king:

Chapter XVI: The Conquest of Britannia

Year: 64 AD

I begin to replace my Ballistae with Catapultae. Although the ballista has a bombard frequency of 3 in comparison to 2 of the catapulta, a value difference of 25 to 7 is more important. I have to keep my unit support costs reasonable, so i'll disband the ballistae and use them to push production in newly conquered settlements. The funditores are fast and may be of use in an invasion of britain, but later on i'll get rid of them, too, as a bombard value of 3 is just to little against the enemies of the future (this is no easy decision, but i have convinced myself that it is right).

Year: 72 AD

I'm finally ready to start an attack on Britannia.

For naval transportation i'm using four cumbae. I have deployed the largest part of my forces in the southeastern corner of great britain where my culture from Gesoriacum reaches.
After declaration of war i land other troops near Londinium and Isca Dumnorum. Note that i have never declared a war when i had troops in the enemies territory or a right of passage signed. This can help to keep good relations with civs you are not battling right now, in this game the Armenians, Persians and Numidians are yet friendly to me which reduces the risk of an unwanted and unprepared war.
Regarding this i have to note another thing which i have found out by trial (at least i have come to the impression that it works this way). The ai refrains from declaring war when it has profitable deals with you and, at least i think so, it is better to have several deals than one deal with several trades (i hope you understand what i'm trying to say): I'm donating the Parthians several luxuries and resources, each in an own deal, and i always have an eye on the time when these deals run out, so i can reinstall them. In turns i have no deal with the Parthians they will almost inevitably declare war, which is something i'm not willing to bear at the moment (i have used this in some games before and i'm following it now, too).

Ships from the Mediterranean can't enter the Atlantic and so are not able to support an invasion. However, you can found a city near the strait of gibralter, which will enable the fleets to move from the mare mediterraneum, if you want to. I have not done this, as i don't think i'll need more ships here right now.

Year: 74 AD

This technology offers me some new units: The Eques Legionarius i a much better cavalry unit compared to the Eques, as the importance of Cavalry in the roman army increased with the run of time. The Sagittarius Auxiliarius is a mixed range and close combat unit with a high bombardment frequency. Usually i'm using mostly artillery because if the higher bombardment value, but the archers can be useful against low defence troops, they cost support, though.
The Cohortes Imperatoriae are another unbuildable unit, which will form the high end of your army until the end of the game, as they are incredibly tough and will cut through most of your opponents with ease. There can be obtained by upgrading Cohortes Praetorianae, which are spawned by the Castra Praetoria, and your army units. Especially the armies with old legions (in my game the legiones consularis and the legio scipiones which have the original Legio) should be upgraded immediately. Even armies with Legio Imperatoria are not able to equal the Cohortes Imperatoriae in fighting skill. Some advantages are left, though, as they can be transported by ships (the Cohortes Imperatoriae can only use great harbours), they can blitz and have a movement bonus on hills and forests, as the Legio Caesaris.

I'm researching Philosopy & Poetry next, because Philosopher on the throne renders Imperium Traiani obsolete and i want to take benefit from it some more time.

I switch to the internal advisor, enter Roma and change production, so the Imperium Traiani will be finished immediately.

Imperium Traiani spawns a Legio Traiani every seven turns until made obsolete by Philosopher on the Throne. I have finished it in turn 237, so it can spawn in turns 244, 251, 258. I could hold back research for some turns, so it can spawn another one in turn 265, but i'll have to think about it, later.

Funditores prepare the assaults on Londinium and Isca Dumnorum and the landed Legions finish it.

The enemy will strike back soon:

But it's still my turn (i spared some funditores):

Year: 76 AD

The Forum Traiani places a forum in every city on the continent and costs 20 maintenance.

Boudicca has destroyed a Legion in her turn, but is now defeated by a Legio Caesaris.

Year: 78 AD

The Limes Persidis has finally been finished and will supply the parthian border with Munitores. At the moment four Legions and about thirty units of Servi are working here on fortifications. This part of the Limes is the most complete until now.
In this same turn the Limes Danuvii produced a Munitor, which is my first. These units excel at building forts and barricades.

Year: 80 AD

In the north there seem to be no enemy ships yet, so i can use my cumbae to fasten my supply lines.

Year: 82 AD

Year: 86 AD

Year: 88 AD

The first Legio Traiani is spawned in Roma. This army does not have the hit point penalty of the Legio Scipionis and Legio Caesaris, but it will not reach the fighting capabilities of Cohortes Imperatoriae, so if you've got enough money you should upgrade them immediately.

Now it is time to finish some business in the east:

I'm not sure why exactly i have waiting that long, could have done this earlier.

In Britannia remain no cities which i can take, so i give peace to the british tribes:

Once it has a great port to connect it with the continent, Britannia will supply the empire with britannian goods, which means i have access to every luxury in game.

Imperium Romanum in 88 AD:

König Markus;6850823 said:
Incredible pace!! Fantastic!! Unbelievable. :crazyeye: Congrats.
I'm curious how will do in the later stages of your game. ;)

Thank you!
Regarding the later part of the game my experience is limited, because i usually stopped when the waiting times rapidly grow longer due to the massive unit spawning, but i'll try to hang on this time.

Thank you!
Regarding the later part of the game my experience is limited, because i usually stopped when the waiting times rapidly grow longer due to the massive unit spawning, but i'll try to hang on this time.

Oh, I know.
Read a book meanwhile. :lol:

Chapter XVII: A belated Jugurthine War

Year: 96 AD

Year: 98 AD

The Golden Age has ended and it is kind of a sign, as all wars i will fight from now on will mostly serve the purpose to conserve not to expand, although i'm still planning to take some additional settlements.

Opus Ovidii makes one citizen happy in every continental city.

Year: 100 AD

The Libri Virgilii will reduce war weariness throughout the empire.

Turn 250 is reached, which means half of the game is over.

Year: 103 AD (now one turn equals three years)

My economical situation:

Year: 118 AD

It is time to start a war of attrition against the Numidians. I infuriate them by demanding a city and they are willing to start the conflict:

Year: 121 AD

The numidian cavalry enters roman territory and gets under catapult fire.

Year: 130 AD

After the enemy cavalry has been crushed, roman legions advance:

Year: 133 AD

Now i have taken all numidian cities to which my units have access to. This means i have to wait and kill eventually coming units until Numidia will sign a ceasefire.

Top Bottom