Rhye's and Fall RAND Plus

Polynesia has never been united, the civilisation would be 1 island tile.

Well Polynesia might be stretching it too far, not too mention the mapscript doesn't generate almost anything in the Pacific despite earth likeness. But since its in Civ V I just added it as an idea, unlikely as it will ever be.

Also, I need to learn how SVN works for the developer, not for the downloader as all tutorials I've found here talk about. I have TortoiseSVN installed, but all my attempts to export something to sourceforge don't seem to do anything.

I finally learned to use SVN! :dance: Or at least something that looks like it. So folks who are skilled with SVN updates can follow this at:

svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/rfcrandplus/code/trunk/Rhye's and Fall RAND Plus

Though I fear the folder paths could have been done better.

I'll try to grab as many good concepts from DoC as I can, but overall I don't want to deviate excessively from standard cIV, at least not yet. So the civic system will stay the same for now, unless there's a particularly under or overpowered one when playing with this mod?

Well, getting Stonehenge and being able to run all the labor civics early is practically a guaranteed win unless you really something up, but I guess that relates more to the Wonder effect than the civics :) I don't think there's anything specifically wrong with any of them, I just like the DOC ones better, and consider them more balanced and "meaningfull". I also especially prefer the Mongol and Dutch UPs in DOC, they are both very situational as of now. To mention the top of my DOC-wishlist :D

A few general comments:
- The Greeks are often really powerful; if Rome or someone else doesn't conquer them, and they are left alone with their UP and wonderspam, they can roflstomp everyone later. Maybe they should get some weaker modifiers, or the UP changed to 100% instead of 150%, or something.
- Another "issue" from original Rand; it is still by far the best time to spawn during the first 100 turns compared to from the beginning. A Civ spawning in turn 50 get SO much more tech and unit-wise than the civs who spawned at the start. Another reason for the Greeks tending to do so well, but it goes for everyone.
- At high or very high likelyness Egypt gets Judaism quite a lot, 6/6 in my games. Can you maybe lower their tendency to tech for it, or have it spawn earlier in Jerusalem?

Oh and about the SVN, the folder thing is not a problem, one just have to mark the folder where the Rand-folder is located in, and not the folder itself :) folder folder folder.

Well, getting Stonehenge and being able to run all the labor civics early is practically a guaranteed win unless you really something up, but I guess that relates more to the Wonder effect than the civics :) I don't think there's anything specifically wrong with any of them, I just like the DOC ones better, and consider them more balanced and "meaningfull". I also especially prefer the Mongol and Dutch UPs in DOC, they are both very situational as of now. To mention the top of my DOC-wishlist :D

A few general comments:
- The Greeks are often really powerful; if Rome or someone else doesn't conquer them, and they are left alone with their UP and wonderspam, they can roflstomp everyone later. Maybe they should get some weaker modifiers, or the UP changed to 100% instead of 150%, or something.
- Another "issue" from original Rand; it is still by far the best time to spawn during the first 100 turns compared to from the beginning. A Civ spawning in turn 50 get SO much more tech and unit-wise than the civs who spawned at the start. Another reason for the Greeks tending to do so well, but it goes for everyone.
- At high or very high likelyness Egypt gets Judaism quite a lot, 6/6 in my games. Can you maybe lower their tendency to tech for it, or have it spawn earlier in Jerusalem?

Oh and about the SVN, the folder thing is not a problem, one just have to mark the folder where the Rand-folder is located in, and not the folder itself :) folder folder folder.

If Stonehenge is OP, so are the Pyramids in regular Civ I suppose, but I've yet to get so much advantage from it (my playing skills are somewhat low, which I guess it's not good if I'm the one to implement features)
The Dutch UP can't be that bad, they can move their ships anywhere! (I got to 'Australia' in galleys before 1400, impossible without that UP) As for the Mongol one, I agree the one from DoC is quite more powerful and useful (spawn keshiks vs. raze and nearby cities might surrender), but might be a bit OP? I have to look at the code.

As for the Greeks... you know, Carl Sagan believed that if the ancient Greek civilization had survived until today, our technological level today would be the one we'll possibly have in 3000AD :lol: I will try to implement the balance tweaks from DoC (research penalties), maybe even remove the Cataphract UU (those things are monstrous...)

Initial assets depending on spawn date would be hard to balance. In high likeness its like standard RFC I guess, part of the experience to play that civ. But when you play in low likeness a few turns of difference in your spawn date can mean quite an awful lot of techs and units... but isn't that uncontrollable randomness part of the challenge?

And finally, I don't see the trouble with Judaism. Sometimes the same happened in standard RFC, though I admit it happens much more often here. But it's an acceptable break from history. What if Moses had preached to the Egyptians, and Ramesses was like "screw Ra and their ilk, Yahweh is c00l!"? :p

As for the Greeks... you know, Carl Sagan believed that if the ancient Greek civilization had survived until today, our technological level today would be the one we'll possibly have in 3000AD :lol:
I like Sagan, but that statement ... argh.

I like Sagan, but that statement ... argh.

What's wrong with that statement? Greeks were really advanced both technologically and philosofically. The problems started with the rise of monotheistic religions.

hey, this is a great idea. May I suggest posting this on the RAND forum so more RAND fans might notice it?
Also the biggest feature I want is Protestant Reformation, hopefully it can be added in the future. And I like Dawn of Civ's style also, it has many good features that can be useful in RAND

What's wrong with that statement? Greeks were really advanced both technologically and philosofically. The problems started with the rise of monotheistic religions.
Because it views technology as a steady process with a clear goal that's only perturbed by outside influences, when in facts it's a product of social, cultural and economic circumstances. Saying that Christianity stopped scientific progress isn't only questionable in itself, it's also very monocausal to think of "technological stumbling blocks" like that.

Uh...How am i supposed to install this mod? ther's no installation instruction and i am a noob with informatik.

Because it views technology as a steady process with a clear goal that's only perturbed by outside influences, when in facts it's a product of social, cultural and economic circumstances. Saying that Christianity stopped scientific progress isn't only questionable in itself, it's also very monocausal to think of "technological stumbling blocks" like that.

I know very well that tech progress isn't a steady process, but it is indeed influenced by favorable or unfavorable enviroinments. A doctrine that forces you to believe in a particular dogma, that praises believing in something without evidence (aka faith) is not an enviroinment for the development of a favorable method for scientific progress. It happened anyway, but it could have been happened even before. And with that i agree with Sagan.

You know, Christianity were just one of several limiting factors. The concept of the Steam Engine were actually Known in the first century AD, but the society could not see the need for it, so it was not put into use, and that's not religion limiting science there. There are so many factors that blaiming one of them will be purely wrong, although I can agree that Christianity and religion were limiting factors at times, but not always (the Islamic Golden Age, just to mention) as they could also prove useful in the advance of science.

And please, lets stop this Sagan discussion. We could have been way forward or way backwards, nobody knows, it's alternate history belonging in an off topic forum, not here in RFC RAND Plus' discssion thread.

You're right. Here is the best place to read up related arguments or to continue the discussion.

Download the mod, then extract the files so that there is one folder called "Rhye's and Fall RAND Plus" or something with three folders inside and some other files. Put it into your Mods folder (Mine's at C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods, but yours might be somewhat different). This should work for all mods.

Yeah i did it but i got two problems:
-there's no "Rhyes' and fall plus" file in my download, so i have to create it.
-In game and menu screen, i miss all the text, it is just unplayable. I tried to put the varietas files in my floder but the bug is still there.

I'm not sure what's wrong, since I haven't actually downloaded the mod. Maybe migck can help you, since he made this mod.

Yeah i did it but i got two problems:
-there's no "Rhyes' and fall plus" file in my download, so i have to create it.
-In game and menu screen, i miss all the text, it is just unplayable. I tried to put the varietas files in my floder but the bug is still there.

I tried downloading and then playing it, and it works.

The folder name has to be "Rhye's and Fall RAND Plus", not just "Rhyes' and fall plus"; and it must be in the Program Files folder under "...\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\", not in "My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\".
Don't forget to download the Varietas Delectat files and put them in "...\Rhye's and Fall RAND Plus\Assets".
Have a nice game!

Top Bottom