Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded - PART II

Drift, I don't know what you are talking about (modders voluntarily closed their threads), but the new limit of 3000 posts (which at first was 1000, even lower) strippes every famed mod of its reputation, to the eyes of a generic forum user. You'll see when it happens to you.
The sticky thing (either permanent or temporary) alleviates only a bit this fact and can't match the loss of our main thread, sunk in the deep of the pages.

-> I'd like to thank Rhymes and Chat for the appreciations

->about that units, yes it would have been nice if we had some creators to help us. While designing the X-pack, I had to reject many ideas because there were no units. They were a big limit, and now it's too late for correcting this. It seems that I timed perfectly the release of the pack and of the updates, as since the last additions (new Euro worker animation) there haven't been interesting units posted.

Aeon221 said:
Dude, even DyP and RaR arent sticky!

That's because they hadn't their thread closed

Aeon221 said:
Maybe we should write to one of the magazine people about your mod Rhye? Its clearly famous enough on the forum!

Well, I'd have liked to wait a bit more to say this, but if you want to know....
The mod will be reviewed by an italian magazine called "The Games Machine". The review will be on paper, and it will be included in the March or in the April issue. :beer:

Ok, I,ve finished my game with the english, After conquering Netherland and Northern France, I decided to go out tand colonize new lands. It was really cool to see that there were many good settling places with free spaces; southern america, western north america and indonesia. I decided to go for the gems and headed to south america with 3 very precious and expensive middle age settlers. When I got there, I had the cool surprise of seeing that incas settled in the andes but hadn't reached the rest of south america yet, very historically acurate. And then I started a home/colony war with Spain, who turned out to be one of the big powers along with germany and scandinavia. I stoped my game before getting to modern days since victory was obvious, and I'll start an other one on emperor level which, in fact, might suit this mod better.

I have 2 bad comments, though: 1- The slow expension is great, but AI dont usually go to war as long as there is room for settling. So even in the 1800 there were a couple of settling spots left and I didn't see a single inter-AI war during the entire game. I think I will work on the mod to make expension just a little bit faster, maybe by lowring the cost of settlers, I'll see.

2- There are too many civs in the greek-middle eastern part of the world. Ottomans, bizantine and babylon had only 1 or 2 cities each besides the colonies. I'll take away the Ottomans on my next game.

Imo, for better overall balance, Ottomans should be replaced by an eastern african nation. (in the liberia, ivory coast region).

Thats about it for now, you'll hear from me again ;)

Edit: and the Horse-archer unit animation is kinda lame and slow.....

Cool things I noticed:

- Most american nations didn't fall back very far in the tech tree, very cool.

- Most of the civs developped to form a country that looked almost exactly like their real world country. The only one who struggled with that was China. (???) Might have been bad luck.

- Japan was a powrfull and advanced civ despite the fact that it is isolated on its island.

- There was not a "single powerhouse" like in most random civ games, the top 5 or 6 civs (except me) had a very close score, and many others weren't very far behind.

- The most advanced civs weren't necessarily the strongest; greece for example.

- The AI made good use of the different units

- Most event were extremely historically accurate; middle ages in the AD, discovery of the new continent in around 1500, etc.

Thats it for now ;)

Are you serious Rhye? Thats AMAZING!

:band:

CONGRATS!

@Rhyme: Its a conversion from AoK... and we all know how high quality that game was...

I could speed up the animation and post it if you want. I already did that for my game ;p

Rhye said:
Well, I'd have liked to wait a bit more to say this, but if you want to know....
The mod will be reviewed by an italian magazine called "The Games Machine". The review will be on paper, and it will be included in the March or in the April issue. :beer:

Congrats! :beer:

You guys deserve it!

@Aeon: yeah if you post the flics I will definitely use them. Or maybe I'll check out the unit librairy to see if an other one could suit it.....

Thunderfall has GOT to be happy about this one

Limit is 500
This is 496

JUST small enough ;p

Here's the hyper AoK Cavalry Archer; he looks like hes on steroids in flc, so he should be normal in the game.

I have not actually PLAYED with it yet (since I just figured out how to mess with it about 2 days ago ;p) so see what you think haha.

Attachments

• AoK Cavalry Archer.zip
    496.2 KB · Views: 329
Cool, thanx, I'll check that out.... I'll have to start back my Spanish game though :(
Anyway I have to raise the rate of fire of artillery too, they are pretty much useless against 6hit point veteran units, I'll lower their bombard strenght by one and then raise there RoF by 1.......

Anyway Thanx :)) I'll tell you how it works in game

@Rhye

What I was talking about was that at least me and Thamis (and Isak, I think) already closed our threads down and made new ones. I'd say others would've done the same, but they didn't have the time when the limit was raised to 3000 and our new threads were merged into the old ones. This was done 'voluntarily' with just a hint from the moderators. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you weren't obliged to close the old thread down. Would TF allowed the thread to stay open if you hadn't agreed to close it down?

I do symphatize your situation. It sucks. However, I don't feel a permanent sticky is the answer. A stickied modpack signals to a casual user that this mod is somehow above the rest, that it has the site's approval and recommendation. It's the best spot a modpack can get in this subforum. And it would be permanently yours. Like I said, I won't know what it feels like to have my old thread taken away from me. MoM will never reach 3000. Out of the current mods, I'm surprised if anyone else but ED will experience it and even that's somewhat unlikely.

My own effort at giving the modpacks their deserved attention is the modpack library and the 'recommended' tag I've given to all high profile mods. Like people warned me when I started it, absolutely no modder has been willing to co-operate with the library. I've so far received 2 entries into the library. RoC is still listed as just a modpack even though the new version is apparently more like a total conversion. No modder has submitted a description for their already included mod, so the only mod with a description is MoM. I'm still puzzled by all this. If I weren't the librarian and MoM wasn't included, I'd jump to the occasion immediately and submitted it in order to get more publicity for my mod.

I've tried to make the library with the casual user in mind. So that when he wanders in for the first time and is stricken with the amount of mods, he can open the library and get into grips with the mod scene as easily as possible. At first, he'd probably focus on the mods that have gotten the 'recommended' tag. The descriptions of mods would help as the user would know more than just the mod's name and would be more inclined to visit a thread if the modpack itself seems interesting.

About my idea of various LH ...

Rhye, you can put 1 leaderhead by era for each civ = 124 differents LH :crazyeye: !!!

For names varying with the time, you can place the name of leader in the LH's animations ... behind the head ... and in diplomacy.txt you must just remove the name :goodjob:

Hi, Rhye!
I loved Napoleon! :)

Glad to see that we are all here and go on with this new thread...

Aeon!
Thanks for mentioning the "Small" version of ROCX I began making
- The Clashing of Empires.
It is developing nicely, I would say,
tomorrow I will post the first real-ready version of it! :)

Drift said:
@Rhye

What I was talking about was that at least me and Thamis (and Isak, I think) already closed our threads down and made new ones.

I didn't know that. Can you show me the links to those closed threads?

Drift said:
I'd say others would've done the same, but they didn't have the time when the limit was raised to 3000 and our new threads were merged into the old ones. This was done 'voluntarily' with just a hint from the moderators. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you weren't obliged to close the old thread down. Would TF allowed the thread to stay open if you hadn't agreed to close it down?

Exact. I could have decided to leave the thread open but in the end decided to do a favour. If the forum is going to be *a bit* faster this is the reason.

Drift said:
I do symphatize your situation. It sucks. However, I don't feel a permanent sticky is the answer. A stickied modpack signals to a casual user that this mod is somehow above the rest, that it has the site's approval and recommendation. It's the best spot a modpack can get in this subforum. And it would be permanently yours. Like I said, I won't know what it feels like to have my old thread taken away from me. MoM will never reach 3000. Out of the current mods, I'm surprised if anyone else but ED will experience it and even that's somewhat unlikely.

The situation is worse that you can think of. The installer of the mod still installs a link to the old thread in the start menu folder.
A casual user willing to post won't be able to, for unknown (to him) reasons.
Many others will have to update the link. Overall, there will be much less people posting.
And to another casual user that browses the forum, my mod will appear as one of the many, now that the 6000 posts thread is sunk and the new one is tiny. No offence to other mods, but there should be a sign to distinguish a one-year work from a two-days work.
The sticky is the sign for now, but I feel that it's not enough, as it is more for announcements. Many will simply SKIP the stickied threads. I always do that.

Drift said:
My own effort at giving the modpacks their deserved attention is the modpack library and the 'recommended' tag I've given to all high profile mods. Like people warned me when I started it, absolutely no modder has been willing to co-operate with the library. I've so far received 2 entries into the library. RoC is still listed as just a modpack even though the new version is apparently more like a total conversion. No modder has submitted a description for their already included mod, so the only mod with a description is MoM. I'm still puzzled by all this. If I weren't the librarian and MoM wasn't included, I'd jump to the occasion immediately and submitted it in order to get more publicity for my mod.

I've tried to make the library with the casual user in mind. So that when he wanders in for the first time and is stricken with the amount of mods, he can open the library and get into grips with the mod scene as easily as possible. At first, he'd probably focus on the mods that have gotten the 'recommended' tag. The descriptions of mods would help as the user would know more than just the mod's name and would be more inclined to visit a thread if the modpack itself seems interesting.

I'm sorry. You can take the description in the 1st post in the 1st page of this thread.

And yes, while the basic "RoC" is a "completed modpack", the expanded version "RoCX" or "RoX" is a full conversion. Can you correct this? RoC will refer to the old thread, as this new one only has RoCX.

And I add, the library should be the 1st line, not the 2nd

I am playing my first random map game using RocX, and let me say that it has a VASTLY different feel than a standard C3C game!

Playing as Israel on a huge archipelago, I am landlocked surrounded by the Arabs and Spanish to the East, the Indians to the south, a huge mountain range to the west, and an impassable jungle to the north.

By 1 AD I have a nice small empire with 7 cities, and have found the nearest harbor location to begin my waterway exploration.

So far it fells very much like RocX on the earth map, with the exception of their being barbarian uprisings, which I am not used to. One problem I noticed is if the barbarian camp is created mountain locked, the barbarians keep growing in numbers without being able to leave.

Barak said:
I am playing my first random map game using RocX, and let me say that it has a VASTLY different feel than a standard C3C game!

How many games are you playing simultaneusly? :)

Well, if you play the random map now, have a nice game
and wait with playing CoE Beta v3,
as I will put up a new and "real" first version of that tomorrow morning
(GMT +1 time morning, that is)

to Barak: ...nevertheless, if you have anything comment on CoE, just tell it, but before 5 pm (again, GMT +1), as I leave workplace then...
(I still do not have net at home...)

Rhye, are you still working on the European MP-map? Any news?

and on an embarrassing unrelated note...

Three_Crowns said:
(and I may also have drunk too much...)
I just got an e-mail saying that I have bid nearly 100€ on a Leatherman on Ebay! :eek:

Three_Crowns said:
Rhye said:
Did you like Napoleon?
Just realised that you probably meant Napolean
Oh, man... :blush: :lol: Sorry for those posts...

Rhye said:
the MP map is still there with a choice between 11 civs.

I'd like to play a game with it with some of you. Better if close to European timezone.

Who can I count in?

Being in Hungary, I fit to your wish :)
But I have to repeat myself - no internet at home yet... :(

Aeon221 said:
I am sure that that is going a bit far... its not like they are big blobs or something.

The graphics we have are adequate, but they could be better is certainly a better (read less insulting) way of putting it.
Well, yes, that's kinda what I meant... None of them is really substandard, but some of them are kinda annoyingly out of place among all the excellent units used in the mod.

Rhye, count me in, as I'm just GMT+2. :)

Top Bottom