Rhye's of Civilization: the fastest loading mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought that I'd post and say "Excelent Mod, Rhye"! :goodjob:

The game actually went much faster! I actually didn't believe you when I first read it, but it all seems so logical now... So now I have implemented your most important changes in my own "Europe Mod". Faster turns means more Civ, and anything wich means More Civ has to be good! (apart from divorce and unemployment... ;) )

Some minor "problems" I noticed:
- It looks like the AI has some trouble coping with the rules changes. My normal playing level is Monarch, but I actually found Emperor difficulty neccessary. I guess that will change if I try uou the non-european civs... The AI seemd to "burn out" its cities by building settlers more than usual. Not much to do about this I guess.
- You said that the tech progress should be historical at monarch, but both I and the AI lagged behind quite a lot. Not that I mind. Perhaps this was because I was able to conquer most of Europe in the ancient era, so I was alone researching?

I like the way the wars turned out. In western and central europe the swordsmen dominated due to the rough terrain, but in eastern europe the horsemen diminated the open steppes. Cool!

I think this mod will be very interesting on the 180x180 map. And it will be playable to.

Once again, anyone who hasn't tried out this mod should do themselves a favour and download it. :D

Thank you. I'd really like to see your mod when you've done it, as I'm very fond of mods set in Europe. BTW, please credit me if you use some concept thought up only by me.

The tech progess was historical at monarch in the games I played. I just noticed that playing an important role instead of sitting and watching accelerated a bit the research. So, I suppose that you had an important role in how the game developed. After all, if you're a skilled player, you could try if Emperor fits better.

If you're looking for a 180x180 version, I did it before this mod. But it didn't contain many of the features available here, including Incas and game speed. It was just a 180x180 world with rules adapted to fit that map.
I'm planning to release a version 2.0 after Conquests expansion. It will include probably a new map. But I've not yet decided if it will be 140 or 180

Well, it's not much of a mod yet. Just basicaly your rules on a 100x100 map of Europe ( I'm testing a few I've found in the C&C forum) with the number of civ's at around 16.
16 Civs on a 100x100 Map? Well, the average 100x100 8-Civ standard map has 60-80% Water, the maps of Europe has something like 60-80% Land, so you need a lot more Civs. Your changes to contact and map trading manages to delay trading enough, even though the periferal non-expansionistic nations risk getting ******ed. I've solved this by adding "canoe" (on pottery 0/0/1 transport: 1) to make it easier for England, Cartaghe, Egypt and Scandinavia to get into the game.
I've added the Poles (rel exp) and Hungarians (mil exp) to fill out eastern europe and the balkans (ok, I more or less stole the hungarians from another mod), I'm considering adding Ukraineans or Krim-tatars or something to fill out southern Russia. I haven't decided what to do with the Celts - to put them on Ireland as Irish, or in southern France as Gauls... I know it's not "the correct historical starting position", but just like you prefer modern civs, I prefer the Civs in their "final" homeland (like Turks in Turkey, not in central asia).
Right now I'm testing rules, maps and " Civ density", but in the future (post-Conquests?) I'd like to add a lot of flavour units.

Oops, sory. I guess I got a bit longwinded... but I like playing on Earth and in Europe.

edit
Ok, I added the Israelis to - or rather I just changed the Babylon to Israel and Hammurabbi to Solomon the wise. The arab peninsula wasn't on the map, so I put the Arabs in Modern Iraq/Syria, so there wasn't any room for Babylon.

Mmmm. Do you want my opinion?
Take a 140x140 map of Europe without Iraq or other southern/eastern regions (eventually cut them)
Decide if you want to do a historical scenario (for example Europe nowdays or in 1700 or ......) or a ficticial with only starting positions.
As you must replace some non-euro civs, you should do it even with Romans, Vikings and Celts. BTW, Celts correct starting position is in Marseille, but the problem is having they fight with France, while they WERE the French!
I would choose the following 16 civs: France, Germany, England, Italy, Spain, Russia, Austria, Serbia, Greece, Holland, Portugal, Sweden, Poland, Turkey, Ireland, Scotland.
Then on internet look for a leaderhead for each civ. In CFC forums look for a unique unit to assign for each civ. You may re-use Celts UU for Irish.

Ooh.. Play Europe without Middle East and North Africa? For a 16-20th century feeling, yes. But I like the ancient age to, and ancient/medieval european history isn't the same to me without Punic wars and Crusades! :)

But I see your point in having 16 "all euro civs". I'll just have to get a larger map & play with 24 Civs (31?) ;)
But It all depends on finding a nice and good map, cause I'm not good at making maps...

I have no problems with Celts in the Marseille area. There were celts in parts of Spain (celt-iberians) and northern Italy (po river valley) during the ancient period. And there were a lot of conflict between northern and southern France during the middle ages (Abligensian Crusades). So celts in this area fits perfectly!

I think I might have been wrong when I said that the AI had problems handling your mod compared to regular Civ... I just started a standard game on Emperor this weekend, and noticed that browsing this forum had made quite a change in my ability! :king:

You mentioned replacing Rome with Italy. What traits would you give Italy? I was thinking REL COM, since MIL doesn't realy feel right? UU & Leader? Garibaldi?

I love this mod, it's so beautiful! But like another user whenever i talk to inca's the game crashes. I've saved my save game file, to assist in solving the problem. send me your email address, and i'll email it to you. I'm also going to download the larger version, as that seemed to fix the prob for the other guy (I've got the ptw small version)

Again, it's just beautiful, so well done, and so fast, I can't believe the difference!

Chizzy aka Tom
th*maschism@a*l.c*m

hehehe.... :)
don't worry, I'm working on it!

Right now I'm creating the new map, all of my own. I've nearly finished the clean .bic. Then I have to put the resources and the CONQUESTS resources.
After that, the creation of the mod remains:

it SHOULD feature:

- the new 180x180 map (Robinson's projection)
- a new graphic modpack. It's been already made: go to http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69369
- 2 or 3 new terrains
- 1 new tech
- 1 new government
- 2 new wonders
- 1 or 3 new units
- 1 or 2 new civs (Ethiopia and perhaps Italy)
- import of the Rhye's of Civilization v1.0 rules
- an interesting new rule about the settlers (to be tested yet)
- a new rule about the mountains
- 22 civs in the same time (divided in ancient/modern)

Of course, for Conquests only.

Eventually, if everything goes right I could update the standard and PTW versions with only minor changes:

- the new graphic modpack
- 1 new tech
- 1 new government
- 1 new wonder
- 2 new units
- perhaps the 2 new civs
- the settlers and the mountains new rules
- NO new map

A preview of the clean 180 map (with the new graphics)

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 405
Here are the files:

[files removed]

Unzip both in your Conquests\scenarios folder and load civ-content.

Here's what I need:

- Take Portugal and with all standard settings and Monarch level
- Choose as opponents Spain, France, Germany, England, Russia, Netherlands, China, Mongolia, Korea, Japan, Ottomans, Persia, Arabia, Egypt, Zulu, Aztecs, Incas, Mayas, Iroquois, America, India
- Keep track of:
--- the date when America is discovered
--- the date when the first civ enters Middle ages, Industrial and Modern ages
--- the date when four or more civs have entered Middle ages, Industrial and Modern ages
--- who builds wonders most of the time
--- who's strong and who's weak and who's eliminated
--- who produces many cities
--- who's least advanced
--- what's American civs science advancement when first contacts happen (like if they still are in Ancient or in Middle Ages)
--- if plagues work and if they are annoying or not
--- if you see other civs using their UU or not
- Give me savegames (very important!!) of:
--- 1400 BC
--- 110AD or 130AD
--- a few turns before 1400AD (like 1380, 1390)
--- a savegame for each time you enter a new age

Can you do that? Now you understand why I'm so slow: I was doing it myself :)
Instead I'll focus on adding civs, techs etc. and then balance the game with your results (for example if a civ is too strong I'll weaken it; techs cost should be revisited, too)

Cool ! I will test it ! Perhaps ;)

sounds like a very good map, Im downloading it now 90%, Im looking forward to see it, I usually dont download big mods cause of the size I only got ISDN 64.000kbit so I sure hope its worth it, I really think so

For us broadband impared, anything isdn is not an only. I had broadband once, and I've missed it ever since. Especially now that I'm in the middle of nowhere, and stuck at 28.8 on a good day.

Chizzy

Rhye i'm not dead :lol:

But i don't like to read "beta" ....

I was waiting for 1.0 version :rolleyes:

Happy new year :goodjob:

And you ? You don't test ? :confused:

Ok i will test but not hope a great feedback :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom