Rise of Rome Help

dacarr02

Chieftain
I can't seem to win Rise of Rome. I am having a hard time figuring out the scoring technique, I guess. Are there specific cities I am supposed to conquer for victory points?

One time I conquered the Celts and populated Iberia and began to chew away at Carthage, keeping Macedon friendly and ignoring Persia. Persia wins. Then I tried just, pretty much, wiping out Carthage. I think that one I lost by 50 points! To Persia. This last time I conquered Carthage, kept the northern tribes at bay after swatting them a couple of times and in the last 12 moves made a serious dent in Persia's holdings. Persia wins, by about 300 points. I love this scenario, so I am not totally bored yet, but I am wondering if there isn't some trick I am missing. Is this secretly a Rome/Persia deathmatch? Forget Carthage and just take out Macedon and Persia?

There is no special scoring involved in this scenario. The scoring is regular. So, if you don't win by domination you will have to have the highest score to win.

For strategies, see the many threads that have been posted.

Edit: This one for example: Click here!

keep in mind that carthage is in a locked war with rome and extra agressive towards rome.

You need:

50% of the population and 25% of the Land Area. Or was it 40 and 20... do not know anymore...

That means: built Temples and other culture producing buildings to widen your borders - this will gain you more land area.

The easiest way: Get the whole of North Africa, wipe out all Carthaginians, destroy the Celts and settle the whole of northern Europe.

Do not mess with Macedon or Persia, let them fight each other and concentrate on Carthage and later on the Celts and Goths.

If you are close to the land border, simply found some new small cities and give them a temple.

You should have much cash, Imperial Regime and you should be able to rush those temples to increase your borders and land size.

To get 50% population: Destroy or conquer cities with many people... :)

These are all great, especially yours, EmperorJay. Last night and this AM I could not get a Search going, so I had to post. The title of your link was EXACTLY what I was Searching for. Some sort of server overload, I guess.

the search function is disabled to improve forum speed.

So how could I find previous posts anyway? EmperorJay seemed to be criticizing me for some sort of failure to find these previous postings. But I am not intereted in digging for-ever through an old deep forum. For spot posters like me a Search is critical.

it wouldn't take you that long, the forums are well divided into several distinct categories :/

The actual conditions are 20% land and 50% population. The population is the tough one. As you already mentioned, Persia is very strong. You need to watch their growth, and the progress of their war with Macedon. Often, they are able to overwhelm Macedon, and you will be hard-pressed to match their growth. Persia starts with the biggest area, lots of rivers for irrigation=population growth, and if they get Macedon, there are lots of cities. They also can go for Egypt (Flood plains usually mean they have big cities also, and weak military) or Scythia, who is weak but after you get through the mountains, have lots of fertile ground.

For a good look at the scenario, from multiple perspectives, check out the RBC3 series of succession games, where teams took each of the 4 countries, all at Diety level.

Roman Team
Carthage Team Macedon Team Persia Team

You will see that in 3 of the 4, Persia was dominant, the only time they werent was with the Macedon team, where the Human was going directly after them. I am trying a solo game now as Rome (Deity also), and my strategy was after securing the islands, to take all of Gaul from the Celts, for settling, then kick Carthage out of Spain, and also settle a bunch of towns. The Roman Citizen, their settler replacement, only takes one population point, so you don't lose population from settling towns, encouraging growth. Meanwhile, and this is important, I have tried my best to prop up Macedon, buying tech from them and selling it to Persia after a delay, so they have more money and get the better units (Heavy Cav, Fire Cats) about 10 turns ahead of Persia. Thus far, (I am at 50BC) they have held their own in Turkey, keeping Persia in check. Carthage took out Egypt, so I have my own problems there! But it has kept Persia from growing into a monster, and I think I can outgrow them from this point on. Good Luck!

The Temple of Artemis is a MUST for this scenario. Also get infirmaries in your cities. I had Padua at size 27--that's a city of 3.78 million!

I found the followinf strategy won it for me.

1: Choose Rome.
2: As soon as you begin get everyone allied against Carthage (military alliance) Also get working on the first couple of wonders (You can always build them first), don't forget to put all of your citizens to work.
3: On the first couple of turns take the Carthage islands directly to the west of italy (You should be able to do this with ease)
4: You will have to send reinforcements to the islands as carthage keeps sending units to kill you
5: If you can be bothered sack and raise Carthage (I didn't do this but prolly should of.
6: Expand North with as many settlers as possible.
7: Declare war on the celts as soon as possible, They are very weak in this scenario
8: Once the Celts are very weak Attack the greeks with everything that you have got.
9: Once they are weak enough you should be able to expand until you win by dominaation.

It worked for me.

One note about the wonders, although Temple of Artemis is great, I don't think it's a "Must have" wonder. Rise of Rome uses a new feature called "retain accumulated culture", so captured cities keep the culture they had, including border expansions. So most of the existing cities that you take will now be yours, but with the borders intact. Free temples for newly-built cities is nice, but not as critical. There is plenty of time for rushing them, you are in pop-rush until you get to republic anyway, and after that you should have plenty of cash.

I'm not saying it's not a good wonder, just that depending on difficulty, it may not be easy to get. Remember, even though you can trigger your Golden Age right away, Persia and Greece start theirs in the first turn or two also. And at Diety level, the ToA only costs them 330 shields, they will definitely beat you to it. I used Rome to build Heroic Epic, to generate more armies, then switch to legions, which get expensive, but they're worth it!

Edit: Now Bacchanalia is a great wonder, 3 happy in every city, and it is definitely gettable. It is available with Philosophy, but requires Silk and Spices, which Rome can secure easily, and usually before the AI. With a good pre-build, you can definitely beat them if you plan for it.

I wasn't criticizing you! I hope you don't feel offended. :)

I could have posted my strategy but I figured I might as well link you to a thread with many more (and better) strategies.

It was very frustrating not to be able to do a Search. That only leaves repetitive postings unless someone loves digging through endless unorganized lists for clues. As a librarian I prefer organization and searchability. Just wait until I get frustrated with FoR!!! ;-)

As Justus II says, Persia has really good starting position and advantages in RoR - maybe better than Rome, imho. (So for the most enjoyment, play Persia! Down in that corner, your only threats are Macedon and maybe Scythia, and there's lots of resources; plus Egypt is easy to take.) But if you want to win as Rome, helping Macedon is not just helpful, but necessary, since they're the main check on Persian growth. (You can bribe Scythia to attack Persia too... :) Again and again, if necessary...) And as annoyingly fickle as Egypt is, involved in wars with everyone, might as well have them fight Persia too...

Note also that getting Macedonian help (or even Persian help!) against Carthage can be useful at times. In my current game, Greek boats helped me against the Carthaginian navy, more than once.

To keep an eye on the scores, just look at the Victory screens occasionally - the Power chart gives me the best look at everyone's relative strength, but the real race is for the land and population numbers. You'll note that Persia has the early lead, but once you start settling/taking big swaths of land, you'll catch up.

Egypt is absolutely worthless in this scenario. When I played it, Persia took the Nile Delta, then Carthage, instead of laying down to die, marched over and finished off Egypt. I had to chase the gits across the desert to finish off Carthage.

Top Bottom