roads not needed to connect resources anymore?

Yeah thats true I noticed this last day so only use Roads to connect cities or for faster military response.

yea after realizing i have to pay maintenance for roads, i am trying only to build roads to connect cities and speed up military movement to frontlines. i was so used to roading every tile.

I noticed this as well. I built a stone quary, with a road to it. And couldn't find anywhere in the interface that showed i had access to stone.

Apparently i did have access to it, but the idiotic interface is so "stripped down" you cant find ANY information.

*sigh*

I dont get why devs feel they have to change things just because they can. Protecting roads to vital resources, especially now that roads actually cost money, would have been good strategy.

You can see strategic resources on the top bar, and you can see luxury resources on the tool-tip to happiness.

Maybe if they didn't use a 10 foot interface, they could stop hiding information. And have it all at your fingertips like before.

I mean really, the city worker automation (governor settings) takes up almost half the right side of the screen. Whereas in Civ 4 it was just a small box with easily descernable icon toggles.

yea after realizing i have to pay maintenance for roads, i am trying only to build roads to connect cities and speed up military movement to frontlines. i was so used to roading every tile.

Paying maintenance for roads? Where do I find a number/amount of how much the impact is in a game (in game information or rule book)?

Thx
-Nick

Maybe if they didn't use a 10 foot interface, they could stop hiding information. And have it all at your fingertips like before.

I mean really, the city worker automation (governor settings) takes up almost half the right side of the screen. Whereas in Civ 4 it was just a small box with easily descernable icon toggles.

Seems like they've taken the microsoft approach with the interface. Only show a small set of info or buttons, because the casual person is too dense to use anything more. And at the same time provide absolutely no control over it or advanced mode for the "normal" user.

So instead of a big useless interface, i can have a small one?

Thanks?

I dont see how it's going to change much, im already playing at a super high resolution.

So instead of a big useless interface, i can have a small one?Thanks?

Yes. you can. I'm at work now so I can't tell you where it is exactly, but I found that option yesterday in the options.

What about paying maintenance for roads? Is that true?

I noticed this as well. I built a stone quary, with a road to it. And couldn't find anywhere in the interface that showed i had access to stone.

Apparently i did have access to it, but the idiotic interface is so "stripped down" you cant find ANY information.

Stone? You must still be playing Civ 4, :p

All the info is there (except diplomacy stuff) you just are not used to the interface, how many YEARS were you playing civ 4?

*sigh*

I dont get why devs feel they have to change things just because they can. Protecting roads to vital resources, especially now that roads actually cost money, would have been good strategy.

I can see your reasons, but the resources are available empire wide as soon as you built the improvement on them. Ex. you have a cotton tile, build the plantation (requires Calender, just as Civ4) and you get cotton for the people in your whole country. It's a abstractization, as sometimes cities are far apart and in between there are wars going on but you still get the goods... One may argue that the transport can go around "problem areas", though...

I can see your reasons, but the resources are available empire wide as soon as you built the improvement on them. Ex. you have a cotton tile, build the plantation (requires Calender, just as Civ4) and you get cotton for the people in your whole country. It's a abstractization, as sometimes cities are far apart and in between there are wars going on but you still get the goods... One may argue that the transport can go around "problem areas", though...
You still need roads to connect the cities, right?

You still need roads to connect the cities, right?

Yes, you need the road if you want to earn some coins from trade route. Also it helps YOUR troops to rush between provinces to defend the empire. It saved my ass in one of the games I was playing on demo: the military advisor said not to leave the territory empty of troops (but I thought he's a bit paranoid) and then the enemy was on my doorstep while my armies were taking on barbarians in another part of the map... The chariots could make it back just in time to round them up thanks to the road.

So it helps in trade and tactics, but the trade thing is also dependent on the mentainance costs of the road (take care that building roads on rough terrain will suck your coins in mentainance costs)...

The UI is reasonably small at higher resolutions (2560*1600), so it's not that bad. I just wish it used up some more space to display information if the player wants so.

Yes. you can. I'm at work now so I can't tell you where it is exactly, but I found that option yesterday in the options.

I already knew about the small interface. I was being "tongue-in-cheek". Selecting it makes no difference at the high resolution i play at (it uses it automatically)

Paying maintenance for roads? Where do I find a number/amount of how much the impact is in a game (in game information or rule book)?

Thx
-Nick
I believe you see this if you hover over your gold icon, top left of the tool bar.

And when you build roads the game tells you one road costs 1g each for maintenance.

Top Bottom