Roads over the Andes

Kehgrehdid

Chieftain
I like playing as the Inca, so of course the sooner I can get over the andes to Argentina/Venezuela, the better. Early on, at least, I can't get over the mountains, but later on I find my automated workers have built roads to the other side, which is very helpful. Why/How does this happen? Is there a specific tech needed, or do those roads automatically appear when roads are built on both sides of a mountain tile? (I know this may be a general civ question, but I've only noticed it in Rhye's, probably because random maps often don't have real ranges.)

If I remember correctly, once you meet the Europeans, two of the mountains become hills (at either end of the Andes), allowing your units to go into the rest of South America over land.

If I remember correctly, once you meet the Europeans, two of the mountains become hills (at either end of the Andes), allowing your units to go into the rest of South America over land.

That is true. But it doesn't need to be the Europeans, just a civilization of the old world (not Aztec or Maya). So you have to wait for the conquerors before expanding into the rest of SA, or you'll have to discover them first. Good luck with that :) But you could build galleys to move your units past cape horn and start building cities in Brazil before the old civs discover you. Also, keep a scout/galley east of SA, if a caravel sees the unit there is a chance that they will not get the conquerors event. That will save you a lot of trouble ;)

IIRC, the mountain at the southern end becomes a hill, and the jungle at the northern side disappears.

Well, you can always discover the old world as the Mayans and then switch to Inca when it gives you the choice.

Top Bottom