Rocket artillery keep requires setup

They should set it up where on promotion the red-down arrows disappear and the white-up arrows are kept. Only I cannot remember if must set up is an up arrow or a down arrow, I would hope a down. This would also solve the upgraded chariot archers still have the rough terrain penalty problem as well.

I first realised this when my cavalry were getting beaten up surprisingly easily by riflemen that the AI had upgraded from pikemen, thus giving them double strength vs mounted units :(

So it really does pay to build a cheaper unit and upgrade.

In many, many ways. They keep most of their old abilities, plus it's generally less expensive to buy an old unit and then pay the upgrade cost than to buy the newer unit (though you do lose a turn of utility and maintenance during the upgrade). Just be wary of lingering negative promotions, like the one on artillery from the OP.

In many, many ways. They keep most of their old abilities, plus it's generally less expensive to buy an old unit and then pay the upgrade cost than to buy the newer unit (though you do lose a turn of utility and maintenance during the upgrade). Just be wary of lingering negative promotions, like the one on artillery from the OP.

It depends on the policies and wonders you have. I didn't have professional army but had built Big Ben and had the 25% discount on purchasing (commerce policy, forget what it's called) so it was cheaper for me to buy a new destroyer than upgrade my caravel (though upgrading would've let me keep the +2 extra sight). It's definitely cheaper to buy a new unit than buy an older and then upgrade though (unless you have both pentagon and professional army but neither big ben nor the commerce policy).

I think what Clearbeard was saying was for example when it is possible to build both Swords and Longswords set the city to build a Sword (if I remember from my last game it takes about half the time of a Longsword) and then pay to upgrade to Longsword. Even with the need to set up, there is something great about a Rocket Artillery with a range of four, an extra attack, an extra movement point, heals even when it moves and maxed out on rough or open.

In the civlopedia, i was told that rocket artillery did not have to set up prior to firing but when I upgraded my ex artillery to rocket I still had to set up. Any way to fix this?

Top Bottom