Rookie Mistakes

The main rookie mistake I see other people make (that I rarely do myself, but sometimes accidentally) is not spend their gold, especially in the early game when there's not much you can buy with it. Gold is a resource, just like food, production, science, and culture. But unlike those resources, it's a resource that you can spend any time you want to, on anything you want. Letting it sit there and do nothing is on opportunity you have missed to get a step ahead.
I don't really agree with this. I'm not in any way a competitive player, but I will argue that having a gold reserve is a great security fallback. Not spending your gold is a missed opportunity until you find yourself in an unexpected situation where buying an archer or a swordsman is the difference between being able to defend yourself and not being able to.

I don't really agree with this. I'm not in any way a competitive player, but I will argue that having a gold reserve is a great security fallback. Not spending your gold is a missed opportunity until you find yourself in an unexpected situation where buying an archer or a swordsman is the difference between being able to defend yourself and not being able to.

Yeah there is certainly an element of judgment between using your gold to get stuff that will help you snowball and knowing when you might need to upgrade your units in response to an attack. I think the rookie mistake is not getting that balance right.

Keep in mind that what you build is always determined on map type, civilization, difficulty level, victory condition you are planning (if any), and the situation of the individual game, as well as individual play style.
It's a good debate and worth having but this is the most important thing that has been said.

It's a good debate and worth having but this is the most important thing that has been said.

100%

The Civ you are playing makes a massive difference. If I’m on Maya, I’ll get a builder out toot sweet. Hungary or Georgia, I need a scout asap to scout out those CSs and so on.

(and if I have a lovely meeting with the Zulu 7 tiles from my capital, I’ll eschew all of the above and start cranking out military units!)

Some of the pure, simple mistakes I used to make:

* Not paying attention to the Civ & leader abilities: Seowon & Acropolis go only on hills, etc.

* Finishing a technology unlocking a military unit (Stirrups, for example), while still producing the previous unit of the same upgrade line (Heavy chariot). The game automatically updates production to the upgraded unit, which usually takes much more turns. Although it can be used efficiently, if you plan right.

* Using great scientists' eureka ability too early. It is better to wait and achieve some eurekas in other ways and then use the GS for the more consuming eurekas. Same thing about envoys and governor titles - Use them when they are useful. If you are certain you won't use a great person for some turns, send them exploring. They cannot be killed.

* Managing era score - holding back on historical moments (and even settling new cities) when you have enough era score but also forgetting "cheap" era score sources such as 3rd tier building in some districts, ending a rival civ suzerainty over a CS while their troops are levied, completing all 4 tenets of your religion, excavating artifacts.

* Not checking the world search option before placing a wonder. Only a few things in this game can upset me more than losing a wonder-race I didn't even know was on. That doesn't mean I give up on any wonder that has already been placed by another civ, one should take into account relevant city size, production potential, recently recruited great engineers, etc. To do that you need to uncover the map as quickly as possible, which corresponds with the debate regarding build order.

Last edited:
100%

The Civ you are playing makes a massive difference. If I’m on Maya, I’ll get a builder out toot sweet. Hungary or Georgia, I need a scout asap to scout out those CSs and so on.

(and if I have a lovely meeting with the Zulu 7 tiles from my capital, I’ll eschew all of the above and start cranking out military units!)
I have never seen someone actually write “toot sweet” even though I know it’s anglicized “tout de suite.” And apparently the way you spelled it is the correct English way. Mind, expanded.

I always make a scout first on land heavy maps and usually go warrior second, just because I need to beat down barbarians. I always internally agonize over the order of builder, monument, and a third warrior... (unless my resources are ones that can be improved with AH or Mining, which are easy to grab and have some powerful improved tiles.)

I just hate horse barbs so darn much the range can’t even be contained.

Waiting to spend envoys in the early game until you slot Diplomatic League. I have lost many a free envoy due to forgetting to use that policy.

Also spending envoys too quickly. I have been snaked many, many, MANY times spending envoys quickly. It is often better to wait to spend them.

Oh, and I always build a scout first, then a warrior/slinger depending on the terrain. Knowledge is power and who doesn't like goodie huts?

Waiting to spend envoys in the early game until you slot Diplomatic League. I have lost many a free envoy due to forgetting to use that policy.

Also spending envoys too quickly. I have been snaked many, many, MANY times spending envoys quickly. It is often better to wait to spend them.
This is a good one. I'm still learning how to leverage city states. Like just because I can suzerain one doesn't always mean I get any benefit from it (at the moment)

Top Bottom