Ruff's Cobbled SG Modpack

Thanks ruff. Enjoying using the old revision so I've grabbed the new one.

This is new to me:

I have no idea what all the buttons are for. Any help I can see? Or even what mod is this.

Its 12Monkey's Plot Enhancement - read up on the readme file or in the Plot Enh thread - link on first page.

ruff_hi said:
The logger does NOT start on game start. You have to start the logger yourself using ALT-L. It will then display a dialog box (see below for dialog box using the default logging name). If you hit cancel, the game will not be logged and no logging actions will be valid. If you hit ok, the game will be logged. This information will be echoed to you in the feedback section of the screen (see below).

I have started working on the next version of my mod, and came across the above in Ruff 1.2.0. Not being an avid SGer, I do not understand why Ruff would automatically disable, in the config file, the logger on every new game start and every time a game loads, but since he is I must assume it is useful for him. I do see this as rather confusing to someone using the mod for the first time, especially since it was confusing to me what was happening until I read the code in autologEventManager.py. I think I should keep it automatically logging by default and make that an option. What do you all think?

I prefer Ruff's implementation so that my private, single-player games don't get logged unless I ask for a log. That way, I don't have to search through a log file to find my SG game logs. I like it also because it defaults to the game name being used for the log file name. For folks participating in multiple SGs, that's pretty handy.

Gaurav said:
I have started working on the next version of my mod, and came across the above in Ruff 1.2.0. Not being an avid SGer, I do not understand why Ruff would automatically disable, in the config file, the logger on every new game start and every time a game loads, but since he is I must assume it is useful for him. I do see this as rather confusing to someone using the mod for the first time, especially since it was confusing to me what was happening until I read the code in autologEventManager.py. I think I should keep it automatically logging by default and make that an option. What do you all think?
I did this because there seemed to be an issue with the original logger and v1.61 if you didn't click on the dialog box quick enough.

Gaurav said:

Personally, I like this feature. I usually don't log my SP games, but I like the other features of the mod. It's more natural to enable it for an SG (where an extra step doesn't really seem like much) than having a pop-up everytime I start/load one of my SP games.

@ruff: Great mod! :goodjob: But... I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there's some problems with the domestic advisor (the F1 city window) - sometimes it will not show any cities at all, and other times it will show the cities, but the sort column function doesn't work (i.e., you click to sort by production, and it sorts it in some manner unrelated to hammers.) I don't know if this is a problem with the original improved domestic advisor itself, or it's "cobbling," but it's a serious enough problem that I needed to disable it - nothing worse than trying to build space ship parts and not being able to see any of your cities production in F1!

If it would help at all, I think I have some saves where this occurs, but it'd be a bit of a pain to track 'em down.

armstrong said:
Personally, I like this feature. I usually don't log my SP games, but I like the other features of the mod. It's more natural to enable it for an SG (where an extra step doesn't really seem like much) than having a pop-up everytime I start/load one of my SP games.

Hi, I agree, Ruff's mod is awesome, that's why my mod is based on his.

As to the autolog, version 1.1.0 of my mod, by default, just does what Ruff's 1.1.0 version did - automatically log when it is enabled, no popup, simple. But if you prefer, set the new option I added in the ini file and you get exactly what Ruff's 1.2.0 does - disable the autolog, editing your ini file, every time you load a game, no matter what you had set "[ENABLED] Autolog =" to in the ini file. Also mine puts in some feedback to the in-game log to let you know what it is doing, whether the autolog is on or off. And regardless of your ini settings, you can still bring up Ruff's popup to change whether you are logging during the game.

After all, my mod has to satisfy another audience -- me :) and hopefully other newbies like me.

armstrong said:
@ruff: Great mod! :goodjob: But... I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there's some problems with the domestic advisor (the F1 city window) - sometimes it will not show any cities at all, and other times it will show the cities, but the sort column function doesn't work (i.e., you click to sort by production, and it sorts it in some manner unrelated to hammers.) I don't know if this is a problem with the original improved domestic advisor itself, or it's "cobbling," but it's a serious enough problem that I needed to disable it - nothing worse than trying to build space ship parts and not being able to see any of your cities production in F1!

If it would help at all, I think I have some saves where this occurs, but it'd be a bit of a pain to track 'em down.

Since Ruff's mod and mine have identical CvModSpecialDomesticAdvisor.py, mine probably suffers from the same issues. Could you please try your savegame with version 1.8e of 12Monkey's Special Domestic Advisor by itself? If you have the same issues, please report it in that thread, otherwise let us know and upload your savegame. Thanks.

armstrong said:

Thanks for the comments. The production sorting is a known issue and has been reported to the original modder. It actually sorts as if the hammers where characters and results in a sort order like "1 ", "10", "16", "2 ", "25", "6 ", "66". The issue with cities not showing has also been reported and occurs (IIRC) due to the number of cities you have (ie too many for the mod).

As a workaround for the production sorting issue, I've discovered that by selecting another tab at the bottom of the domestic advisor (great people, example) and then switching back to the City tab results in the sorting beinging what one would expect -- lowest to highest or vice versa.

frankcor said:
As a workaround for the production sorting issue, I've discovered that by selecting another tab at the bottom of the domestic advisor (great people, example) and then switching back to the City tab results in the sorting beinging what one would expect -- lowest to highest or vice versa.
Really! That is interesting. I will see if I can reproduce this 'fix' and pass it onto the original modder.

@ruff_hi:

Excellent stuff ! I really enjoy your mod. One quick question: Could I use this Mod on Multiplayer too if I change the config setting for SinglePlayerOnly Use to 0 ?

Code:
# This mod is only for single player games
SinglePlayerOnly = 1

Do the other MP players then need the Mod too to make it work correctly ?

Thanks in advance,

·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· - I have no idea, never played multiplayer. I guess that this is a 'suck it and see' situation.

ruff_hi said:
·Imhotep· - I have no idea, never played multiplayer. I guess that this is a 'suck it and see' situation.

I'll try it out this very evening. I will post my experiences here, if you're interested.

·Imhotep·

ruff_hi said:
Its 12Monkey's Plot Enhancement - read up on the readme file or in the Plot Enh thread - link on first page.

For some very strange reason I cannot get it to show.

If I use 12Monkey's Plot Enhancement mod on its own, it works fine, but then I cannot use your great modpack.

Any idea what is going on? I do not use any other mods than your modpack.

Nials said:
For some very strange reason I cannot get it to show.

If I use 12Monkey's Plot Enhancement mod on its own, it works fine, but then I cannot use your great modpack.

Any idea what is going on? I do not use any other mods than your modpack.
Check the ruff_mod.ini file. The plot enhancement might not be enabled.

@Ruff, I really like your modpack so I took the liberty and made some changes to the message text for the autolog just to make the messages more "narrative friendly". Now the log messages look a little less like console messages and can be intergrated into a written turn report more easily.

I used the latest version of the ModPack.

Revised AutologEventmanager

Bede said:
@Ruff, I really like your modpack so I took the liberty and made some changes to the message text for the autolog just to make the messages more "narrative friendly". Now the log messages look a little less like console messages and can be intergrated into a written turn report more easily.

I used the latest version of the ModPack.
I had a quick flick through and it looks nice. I will have a good long look and see if I still like it. Thx.

Top Bottom