Ruff's Cobbled SG Modpack

okay, i'm probably doing something wrong here. the question is: what?

i've installed the mod to ...\mods, by which i mean that i unzipped the contents there. i can go into "advanced" and load the mod. however, nothing seems to be different. any ideas what i've forgotten? the various sub-mods are activated in the .ini file, so i don't think it's that.

Judge Dee said:
okay, i'm probably doing something wrong here. the question is: what?

i've installed the mod to ...\mods, by which i mean that i unzipped the contents there. i can go into "advanced" and load the mod. however, nothing seems to be different. any ideas what i've forgotten? the various sub-mods are activated in the .ini file, so i don't think it's that.
I put this mod together on the basis that it would be installed under the 'customassets' directory of 'my documents/my games/ etc' folder. I haven't really tested it as a mod under the 'my programs/ etc' directory.

Is there a way of deactivating the mod? I recently installed it to play a few vanilla games, and now when I wanted to play with Fall from Heaven II I have absolutely no interface: no minimap, no sliders, no buttons... nothing, just the map and the units on it. I believe it's conflicting with FfH somehow.

evanb said:
Is there a way of deactivating the mod? I recently installed it to play a few vanilla games, and now when I wanted to play with Fall from Heaven II I have absolutely no interface: no minimap, no sliders, no buttons... nothing, just the map and the units on it. I believe it's conflicting with FfH somehow.
The quickest way of deactivating the mod is to rename the customassets folder under my docs/my games. I do this all the time. I rename it to 'customassets - ruffmod'.

Hello there :D!

I've been trying to get these cobbled mods to work. But I failed. I already had some back and forth pm with ruff. But we couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Here are some screenies coming. I'd invite everyone to have a look at them. Maybe you've met similar problems ... And maybe you have the one missing link! ;)

This is the standard-screen. Notice the icons in the name of the city. Or in the production line. Also stuff like :food: and :gold: isn't working :(.

The city-screen is not showing what already exists in the city ... for example: the palace. The trouble with the icons is also showing in here.

And what is weird too is: the civilopedia. It's simply blank.

I don't use anything else with it. Chamaedrys german flags have been removed. They only exist in the renamed Standard CustomAssets folder.

So ... This is a call for papers ideas.

Regards, .

dot said:
Hello there :D!

I've been trying to get these cobbled mods to work. But I failed. I already had some back and forth pm with ruff. But we couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Here are some screenies coming. I'd invite everyone to have a look at them. Maybe you've met similar problems ... And maybe you have the one missing link! ;)

This is the standard-screen. Notice the icons in the name of the city. Or in the production line. Also stuff like :food: and :gold: isn't working :(.

The city-screen is not showing what already exists in the city ... for example: the palace. The trouble with the icons is also showing in here.

And what is weird too is: the civilopedia. It's simply blank.

I don't use anything else with it. Chamaedrys german flags have been removed. They only exist in the renamed Standard CustomAssets folder.

So ... This is a call for papers ideas.

Regards, .

Have you tried putting the original pak files back where they were?

Did you set up debugging and show Ruff your ini files and logs?

Gaurav said:
Have you tried putting the original pak files back where they were?

Did you set up debugging and show Ruff your ini files and logs?

:confused:

Sorry, I'm an absolute dummy with that stuff. So ...

- what pak files?

- set up debugging? Where and how?

Oops, that'd be my coming out as an idiot :blush:.

dot said:
:confused:

Sorry, I'm an absolute dummy with that stuff. So ...

- what pak files?

- set up debugging? Where and how?

Oops, that'd be my coming out as an idiot :blush:.

No problem. I assumed because you went back and forth with Ruff you tried out the basics. (Remember what happens when you assume...)

Regarding art pack (.fpk) files, when you installed the German flags, you probably needed to follow instructions similar to these, I am not sure which ones you may have had to unpack and move. I am just telling you to try moving them back. They are sometimes called pak files because you use pakbuild.exe to make them.

Regarding debugging, some fairly decent instructions can be found here. Don't worry about trying to fix it, just create the logs and upload them so Ruff or anyone else can try to figure out what the problem might be.

Some things I figure you have already tried based on your description are:
1. Clearing out CustomAssets first before installing Ruff's mod.
2. Clearing your cache.
3. Making sure vanilla Civ4 works (vanilla means with no mod installed).
4. Making sure no other mods are being loaded.

Ruff, does beyond compare simply view the differences between files/texts only? Or does it also offer merging them together? If it can merge, is it pythonable? :D

Fachy said:
Ruff, does beyond compare simply view the differences between files/texts only? Or does it also offer merging them together? If it can merge, is it pythonable? :D
It compares folders (can also compare individual files) and shows you files that are different. Double click on the file and it will show you individual lines that are different (new, deleted, changed). It will not (IIRC) merge the two files together but it can syncronize two directories.

Gaurav said:
Regarding art pack (.fpk) files, when you installed the German flags, you probably needed to follow instructions similar to these, ...
No. :) Didn't have to run any *.exe files.

Gaurav said:
Regarding debugging, some fairly decent instructions can be found here. Don't worry about trying to fix it, just create the logs and upload them so Ruff or anyone else can try to figure out what the problem might be.
Ok ... Here's the debuglog: View attachment 130970. But it seems to me, that the problem with the fonts doesn't appear in there. But maybe someone has some spare-time and is keen on checking them?
The part on forceScreenRedraw ... it does appear often enough in the cityscreen for me to end the task [Civ4] by the task manager. :crazyeye:

Gaurav said:
Some things I figure you have already tried based on your description are:
1. Clearing out CustomAssets first before installing Ruff's mod.
2. Clearing your cache.
3. Making sure vanilla Civ4 works (vanilla means with no mod installed).
4. Making sure no other mods are being loaded.
1.-4.: YES :)

:thanx:

That message log points towards a more general CIV4 issue rather than my mod issue. A uninstall / reinstall / reapply of 1.61 udpate might be the order of the day.

If you decide to do that, rename the 'my docs\mygames\civ4' directory to something else and you will not lose any of your games, downloads, updates etc but it will also give you a completely clean install.

From there it is a stepped approach ... 1) does the game load 2) load my mod - does the game load 3) put in the flags you had - does the game load, etc.

Off topic
First things first: I nearly cried when the Socceroos dropped out. They did a really good job. And this penalty ... :cry:. I would've really enjoyed to have them in the cup until the semi-finals.

-------------

ruff_hi said:
That message log points towards a more general CIV4 issue rather than my mod issue. A uninstall / reinstall / reapply of 1.61 udpate might be the order of the day.

If you decide to do that, rename the 'my docs\mygames\civ4' directory to something else and you will not lose any of your games, downloads, updates etc but it will also give you a completely clean install.

From there it is a stepped approach ... 1) does the game load 2) load my mod - does the game load 3) put in the flags you had - does the game load, etc.

I did the uninstall / reinstall / reapply already. But I did it again ... just to be sure.

1) The original vanilla version does load ... but my graphics engine has trouble with the terrain.
2) That's fixed with the patch (1.61). So the game loads and everything is fine. But I do have no animals - only the shadows - and I have to run on medium graphic level. All the rest does work.
3) I apply the rough mod. And the game is getting rough with the above reported troubles. :(

Any ideas gentlemen?

dot said:
I did the uninstall / reinstall / reapply already. But I did it again ... just to be sure.

1) The original vanilla version does load ... but my graphics engine has trouble with the terrain.
2) That's fixed with the patch (1.61). So the game loads and everything is fine. But I do have no animals - only the shadows - and I have to run on medium graphic level. All the rest does work.
3) I apply the rough mod. And the game is getting rough with the above reported troubles. :(

Any ideas gentlemen?

A quick search through the forums (used "animals shadow bug -ffh") turned up this. Try turning on "Freeze Animations". I'd also suggest trying this with some of the other graphics settings disabled and/or disabling some of the component mods.

Never mind the minimum specs, you really do need a DirectX 9 128 bit graphics card for this game.

Yep. That works. Thank You Gaurav :hatsoff:

EDIT: "That works." does only refer to the animal shadows. :(

Alright, the problem with the fonts is caused by porges attitude icons. That's what i figured out so far. Actually eotinb's autolog causes a minor fault which is that the pop-ups for new techs ain't popping up no more. Really only a minor fault compared to the huge improvement for SG's ...

still processing ... ;)

dot said:
Alright, the problem with the fonts is caused by porges attitude icons. That's what i figured out so far. Actually eotinb's autolog causes a minor fault which is that the pop-ups for new techs ain't popping up no more. Really only a minor fault compared to the huge improvement for SG's
If that is the case with the fonts - remove the font files and disable the attitude mod in the ruffmod.ini file. Re the new techs, try disabling the modified tech window too.

hi_ruff!

I figured that it's easier for me to pick every single mod that you've picked and try to add them one by one. It just seems harder to drop them out one by one to find the mistakes. :mischief: ;)

What I've added so far is ...

• HOF autologger - originally from eotinb
  • Reminder - (also from eotinb) see above (Note: new key fires dialog box - ALT-M) - I still have the ALT-R active. Do you have a hint for me where I can change that to ALT-M myself?
  • Clock Mod - reportedly by eotinb too (I don't know if it's in there. If so ... how do I activate it? :crazyeye:)
  • Requies - Exotic Foreign Advisor :thumbsup:
  • Porges - Attitude Icons (Those are causing the font-problem. So I dropped them :thumbdown .)
  • 12monkeys - Plot List Enhancement :thumbsup: - The explanation on "how to install" is really good!
  • Sevo - Sevo's Civilopedia :thumbsup:
The problems that seem to be caused by the autologger have already been reported by me over here.

So that's the info ... to keep you up with what I'm trying. :D If you have any ideas ... please let me know.
lurker's comment: This is also true for lurkers ;).

Regards, .

dot said:
hi_ruff!

I figured that it's easier for me to pick every single mod that you've picked and try to add them one by one. It just seems harder to drop them out one by one to find the mistakes. :mischief: ;)

What I've added so far is ...

• HOF autologger - originally from eotinb
  • Reminder - (also from eotinb) see above (Note: new key fires dialog box - ALT-M) - I still have the ALT-R active. Do you have a hint for me where I can change that to ALT-M myself?
  • Clock Mod - reportedly by eotinb too (I don't know if it's in there. If so ... how do I activate it? :crazyeye:)
  • Requies - Exotic Foreign Advisor :thumbsup:
  • Porges - Attitude Icons (Those are causing the font-problem. So I dropped them :thumbdown .)
  • 12monkeys - Plot List Enhancement :thumbsup: - The explanation on "how to install" is really good!
  • Sevo - Sevo's Civilopedia :thumbsup:
The problems that seem to be caused by the autologger have already been reported by me over here.

So that's the info ... to keep you up with what I'm trying. :D If you have any ideas ... please let me know.
lurker's comment: This is also true for lurkers ;).

Regards, .

Wow, are you installing the original mods or are you disabling them in Ruff's mod? Between the HOF changes, Ruff's changes (and my changes, but those aren't in Ruff's mod) the Autolog is changed so much it barely resembles eotinb's original.

Which version are you using?

Top Bottom