Russian War - How to hurt Russia's Reputation

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
Here's a thought... (I mentioned it in the other thread, but here it is in full)

Sign an MPP with all nations on that continent.
Sign an MPP and ROP with Russia. This will give them the rep hit that we need.
Sign or gift a lux deal with Russia. (too bad silks, gems and coal will only give us 73gpt for 1 turn...)
Sign an MPP with all nations on the other Continent. (China wants coal, though).

What will this do? This will give the Russians a rep hit in the following areas:

Breaking an ROP deal.
Breaking a MPP.
Breaking Lux and Strategic Resource Trades.

Why are the Russians attacking us?

1 - We're currently sapping 373 gpt from them! :eek:
2 - They have no coal, and want the source of coal we claimed.
3 - Our city defenses there are kind of weak (And outdated).
4 - They have Cossacks, so they want their Golden Age.

I think the #1 reason is that they want a Golden Age. Their (probably negative now - Has trade been looking at active trades? :hmm:) gpt is another factor. They probably had a trade with France or China (if you look at the active trades from the last two saves) that just expired.

I really doubt that we can muster the forces needed to tackle the Russians. It's questionable if taking 3 cities will be enough to make them give us something (or nothing) for peace. They might as well want gold, or a tech (or even coal).

We might just have to bite the bullet in that a city on the other continent wasn't such a good idea. If we had airports, maybe we could have defended it better.

So, possibilities are:

1 - Sign the MPP and ROP with Russia. That gives them a rep hit.
2 - Trigger a World War. Atleast that will slow down the tech pace a bit...

I say we just gift TBD to some hapless Civ, like Rome. We risk making China stronger by inviting them into this war. Especially since most of Russia's troops are centralized near the coal.

Plus, what happens if this little trick works and Russia keeps the peace? Then should things escalate without our help during the next 20 turns, we would be the ones suffering a rep hit as we would be forced to break one of our treaties.

Not a bad idea, though I am not concerned about our tech situation, taking into account our considerable tech lead. All in all, I say we cut and run and let it be someone else's problem.

Mind you that if some other civ declares war on any other civ in those 20 turns, we'll have to go to war with another civ, which could escalate into US being in a full blown war with 2 or more civs. I'm with Donovan on this one; gift away or abandon the city...no need to get into complicated matters which could end up working against us.

I'm also fine, however, with using gold per turn or a luxury - anything that isn't a MPP.

Gift the city to Rome or Iroquois. Although if Russia is intent enough they could try to extort us and declare war if we refuse. Perhaps sign a MPP with America or Aztec, someone that isn't too strong nor too weak to take on Russia.

Top Bottom