[R&F] Samurai is still complete rubbish

Or, its just poor wording on FXS part as there are several other promotions that require the player's promoted unit to be the attacker in order to be triggered, but only say "vs.". (e.g. Volley, Spiking the Guns, Advanced Rangefinding, Marauding, Line of Battle, etc.)
I wonder how many single players know that?
I'd imagine not a whole lot.
As @Sostratus points out, we only see the combat odds calculations when we're the attacked. Based on the "vs." text description, I just assumed the bonus applied always, as we never see the odds before we're attacked by the AI.
Yep, just another piece of info hidden from the player by poor wording/UI. Unfortunately, this means the only way to know about bonuses received (or, not received) when on defense, without looking at the game files, is to find an AI unit with the appropriate promotions and check the combat preview. Maybe one day I'll get to actually modding in the text changes (There's a whole slew of incorrect & missing info in the text files.), but it'd be nice if FXS did so first.

Unfortunately, this means the only way to know about bonuses received (or, not received) when on defense, without looking at the game files, is to find an AI unit with the appropriate promotions and check the combat preview. Maybe one day I'll get to actually modding in the text changes (There's a whole slew of incorrect & missing info in the text files.), but it'd be nice if FXS did so first.
Actually, there is a way: You could start a "Hot Seat" game and run all the civs yourself,.declare war on yourself at some point and check all the bonuses.

Actually, there is a way: You could start a "Hot Seat" game and run all the civs yourself,.declare war on yourself at some point and check all the bonuses.
I don't see how that would help you determine defensive bonuses any better. You'd still have to check the combat previews. The only difference would be that you could set units with specific promotions to test, but there are certainly better/faster ways to do this. And that's assuming you even knew to investigate in the first place. Might as well just look at the game files themselves.

I had just assumed "melee" referred to the combat type, rather than the promotion class. If Battlecry doesn't apply against Heavy Cavalry, it changes my analysis quite a bit, even though Battlecry will still help against other unit types.

I wish Firaxis would make an effort to make descriptions clearer and less ambiguous.

Top Bottom