Samurai

Hamilton321

Prince
After taking a break from civ, I returned and have been focusing on trying out UUs that I overlooked in the past. While doing this, my favorite UU changed from Praetorians to Samurai. What I love about them is how good they are at assaulting cities, and that there are so many different ways you can promote them. Samurai are the only UU in the game that starts with first strikes and can be promoted down city raider. If you are playing singleplayer then promote them down city raider. If you are multiplayer and your opponent is spamming collateral damage then promote them down drill. If you are facing an enemy who has a lot of knights, then give them formation.

In the right situation, samurai can be downright overpowered, this entails getting a lot of them early and using them confidently. For a game where samurai can be used effectively, one will need to have very good city placement to research all the prerequisite techs and then whip out enough samurai to be effective. Civil service needs to be researched very early, thus samurai rush synergizes well with a good capital.

That's not to say samurai don't have their problems, there are about three big problems that make samurai quite situational. The biggest problem with samurai is that they become available pretty late especially since Tokugawa gives no bonuses to tech, the game may already be decided by the time you get them especially if you are playing multiplayer. Another big weakness is that cities with very high cultural defense defended by many longbows will require a lot of force and casualties, to take with samurai, even if they are experienced. I often resort to using spies to remove the cultural defense, but you cannot do this very often until the endgame. The final problem with samurai is that they are hard countered by late game mounted units that the AI and human players alike love to build: knights and cuirassiers both slaughter samurai in the open field even if they are promoted with formation. It is important to keep them either in rough terrain or attack these armored cavalry units in cities.

..... Samurai.......

I don't know the level you play or your experience with the game, and can't speak for MP strategies at all, but Sams are considered a rather mediocre unit in general - especially as you higher difficulties. Toku's status as a leader is rather irrelevant, since good players can tech fine with any leader, but he's generally considered the worst leader in the game due mainly to his traits and sub-par Uniques. Regardless, that has no bearing on his UU. For one, Maces in general are not highly used on higher levels as medieval warfare is often not a a great break-out strategy - not that they can't get some use mind you. (Curs or X+Cannons are ideal) With that said, you can get some Sams some experience for Rifle upgrades later. Though Toku Rifles start with drill anyway due to his traits, and some consider Toku Rifles a second UU. (so some redundancy there..but getting some Sams to Drill IV early on can pay off later with some upgrades....drill really only has value at IV)

Second, when it comes to UUs, the highly rated UUs tend to come very early game with the exception of a unit like the Conquistador which has a significant bonus over base on a unit (Cur) that is heavy favorite among experience players for break-out on high levels. I consider Conks Top 5 myself. Otherwise, you are talking about units like Quechas (OP and #1 UU on Monarch+), War Chariots, Immortals, and Praets (Praets have use and effectiveness on any level) The very important point here is the early UUs provide advantages in the early game which is hugely important in this game.

If you are using Sams against later game units, then there are other areas of you game that need improving, especially if you are playing on lower difficulties. That can be addressed in the Strategy & Tips forum if you desire - a great place to learn.

I remember doing something right one game as Toku and I had Drill IV and Drill V (I think) rifles. I was like the Princess of Pain and I could cut down anything with very few losses. That was a fun game.

Drill line promotions are neat when facing units that deal collateral damage. However I would say the Combat line is more universal. More often than not the enemies I encounter have units that are immune to first strikes (knights or cavalry with flanking 2).

Drill line promotions are neat when facing units that deal collateral damage. However I would say the Combat line is more universal. More often than not the enemies I encounter have units that are immune to first strikes (knights or cavalry with flanking 2).

I think the most valuable effect of the Drill line is not the ability to evade collateral damage (apart from maybe an Always War game where I have to defend a lot) but the ability to survive combat with less damage.
Therefore I usually promote along the Drill line on siege-heavy campaigns, such as
- Engineering rush: Drill-crossbows mop up after Trebs. Trebs do the heavy lifting, top defenders are already injured, so I don't need combat on the crossbows. Also, with only 6 base strength, combat promos offer little gain. Drill-IV units often survive without needing to heal at all.
- Oromo warriors and cannons: For the same reason, plus Oromos have a headstart on the Drill-line.

Top Bottom