SandBar: An interesting take on PerfectWorld

vktj

Warlord
I felt that Legends of Ancient Arabia (LoAA), as well as the other Arabian mods like Rhye's Sword of Islam, really deserve their own map script, so I have hacked PerfectWorld/Totestra to make a suitable random map for Arabian adventures.

A picture is worth a thousands words, so I have attached one.

This map script makes things a lot, and I mean a lot more dry than stock PerfectWorld ever did; LoAA is about nomads adventuring in the desert and the map script makes sure there's a lot of desert to explore.

Having an entire planet that is a desert seems a bit extreme, so the map script makes a map that is a flat map. It's only supposed to represent a small part of earth.

Being a Tectonic map generator, the forms of land PW makes are very unpredictable. I went to a lot of effort to control this unpredictability in SandBar and force everyone to be on the same land form, while keeping the shape reasonably random. I also tweaked the map to more likely have water near the edge so players are not likely to get annoying starts at the edge of the map--this was the lion's share of the work.

The map forms are almost always a single island with a hopefully fairly interesting shape; its form is somewhat reminiscent of Tropico's random map generator.

This map script is in the file LoAA-patch3.zip which is available on these pages:

http://samiam.org/Civ4/Arabia.html

http://civ4.vk.tj

In addition, LoAA-patch3.zip has a version of Totestra with a one-line fix which fixes how mountains are made in rocky maps, as well as a version of Totestra ("TotestraDry") that makes really dry world maps (even drier than Totestra's "Arid" maps).

Also, LoAA-patch3.zip has some bug fixes for Legends of Ancient Arabia (Random Maps now have the correct civilizations and resources on them, and workers can now actually build windmills in the endgame), as well as a new scenario map (an arid version of the one in my avatar), though I think I'm the only person who cares about fixing and updating that old mod. :D

Oh, one last thing: I have verified that Sampo reported a real bug: About once every half dozen maps or so, PerfectWorld does indeed make a map with absolutely no hills or mountains on it. I can't be bothered to fix it, so: If you get a map without hills or mountains, reach for "regenerate map".

Update "Fast and cheap" maps are completely broken in this map script. I'll disable them in the next release and replace that parameter with "No tribal huts" (LoAA's scenario map doesn't have huts, so I need to allow people to turn them off)

Attachments

• SandBar.jpg
    SandBar.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 897
I have updated the SandBar map script to no longer try (and fail) to make "quick and dirty" maps; in addition, there is now an option to make maps without Tribal Goody huts, since Legends of Ancient Arabia's (LoAA) scenario map doesn't have huts.

Speaking of scenario maps, I have added an arid version of the map in my avatar as a map for LoAA.

It can be downloaded here:

http://samiam.org/Civ4/Arabia.html

- Sam

Playing multiplayer Legends of Ancient Arabia games with my buddy made me realize I really like having a few islands out there, just enough that cruising around with Dhows (Caravels) in the midgame is worthwhile.

That in mind, I have made a new version of this map script that will tend to have more islands off of the mainland to explore, and the mainland will be a little smaller.

In other words, the map will still (usually) have a single big mainland, but now it will usually (but not always) have a few smaller islands to expore with Dhows (Caravels) in the midgame.

One side effect of the changes to pull this off is that it's now more likely a player will start near the edge of the map.

It can be seen here:

http://Samiam.org/Civ4/SandBar.html (scroll down for the SandBarMoreIslands.py download)

Attached is a sample map made with this script.

Attachments

• SandBarMoreIslands.jpg
    SandBarMoreIslands.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 287
Top Bottom