satelite overlap

Psycedilla

Chieftain
Anyone Else fimd it annoying that satelites cant overlap even the tiniest bit? Its really frustrating when i am on a miasma cleaning spree, i have to sometimes wait with puting up satelites because Some are not set up optimaly. I understand that satelites should ocupy same tile, but whats wrong with influence overlap? I dont want bonus stacking but stil

I guess they don't overlap because it would be very hard to code. Otherwise, I think limiting the proximity of satellites to each other (say, at least 2 tiles between them) would make them more fun than now, where some satellites are quite hard to place because they have huge influence zones...

Nothing to do with how hard it is to code. I remember that in one of the interviews or articles it was mentioned to be on purpose for two reasons:
  1. Make you think about satellite placement instead of just slapping them everywhere (so you have to choose: you want the bonus energy from a solar collector or the bonus production from an orbital fabricator) - having them stack (even with different types) would be highly problematic.
  2. It allows for orbital landgrabs, you can place your own satellites to avoid enemies from launching their own satellites in the region.

Actually, at least from my pov, sats not overlapping is a good thing.

By mid game, sat coverage is so huge, if it wasn't for the overlap rule, the AI - or you attacking the AI - could just drop planer carvers all over the place.

The lowly solar sat orbiting overhead is the only thing that stops this tactic.

Basically, it adds a new dimension of battle tactics - how to engage the enemy sats to knock down their sat overlap coverage as you siege their city, and then you drop your own combat sats overhead.

So 1 vote no, please don't change unless a voluntary mod. I quite like the extra strategy dimension of enemy vs your sat overlap battle.

They would be overpowered if they could overlap.

Now, if you really need the latest model in orbit, you can always crash the previous one. Get to satellite view, select it and click "Delete".

As somebody who can't get enough of the teleport satellites, I agree it's probably better they can't overlap. If they could teleport satellites would way too good, as would planet carvers. You could just slap teleports and carvers right into most enemy territory with how big your orbital coverage is by mid/end game and then move your whole army on top of their cities in one turn, with carvers to help blow everything up as you do so.

It makes it more challenging when you have to bring an artillery or tank in along with the army to clear out the solar collectors they spam to make room to place your own stuff.

They would be overpowered if they could overlap.

Now, if you really need the latest model in orbit, you can always crash the previous one. Get to satellite view, select it and click "Delete".

This. Furthermore, satellites are very cheap so if they could overlap, the sky would be littered with them. And imagine spamming orbital lasers or planetary satellites. It'd be insane.

Top Bottom