Scenario Conversions I like.

techumseh

Deity
I've been spending some time playing several old favorite scenarios that have been converted to ToT by Gapetit. I'm avoiding the better known games like Red Front or Mongols. It reminds me that some first-rate scenarios were produced before ToT, let alone the Patch Project or Lua. Here are three good ones:

1. Justinian the Great. Simply one of the best scenarios ever made. Carl Fritz made several good scenarios and this is his best. Beginning at the time of the fall of Rome to the barbarian invasions, the scenario covers the resurgence of the Eastern Roman Empire under emperor Justinian. All civilizations are playable, but only try the Western Empire if you like lost causes. The Huns are also best left to the AI. Highest recommendation.

2. Four Sea Republics. A very good effort by Paul Hanti, and the only one of his that I am aware of. Rising Italian republics challenge the the Byzantine Empire, at the time it is under attack by the Turks. Throw in some Crusaders and there's lots to deal with. Not perfect, but a good challenge and lots of fun. Most civs are playable. Gapetit has done a beautiful job with the art.

3. Colonies IV. John Ellis's final version of his excellent colonial scenarios. European nations vie for control of North American and Caribbean colonies. Britain, France and Spain are the main contenders, but the Dutch and Swedes are also playable. This scenario suffers from a common design flaw though. The AI just can't do what is required to be competitive with a human player, which in this case is build, expand and defend overseas colonies. It's hard enough for the human player; impossible for the AI. However, I think Colonies IV would be a good candidate for a multi-player game.

Congratulations and thanks to Gapetit for his excellent makeovers. The new artwork gives these great old scenarios a new lease on life.

Very much agree on Justinian and Colonies IV, and anything else by Carl Fritz and John Ellis. I've never tried Four Sea Republics, so thanks for the pointer :thumbsup:

I've been spending some time playing several old favorite scenarios that have been converted to ToT by Gapetit. I'm avoiding the better known games like Red Front or Mongols. It reminds me that some first-rate scenarios were produced before ToT, let alone the Patch Project or Lua. Here are three good ones:

1. Justinian the Great. Simply one of the best scenarios ever made. Carl Fritz made several good scenarios and this is his best. Beginning at the time of the fall of Rome to the barbarian invasions, the scenario covers the resurgence of the Eastern Roman Empire under emperor Justinian. All civilizations are playable, but only try the Western Empire if you like lost causes. The Huns are also best left to the AI. Highest recommendation.

2. Four Sea Republics. A very good effort by Paul Hanti, and the only one of his that I am aware of. Rising Italian republics challenge the the Byzantine Empire, at the time it is under attack by the Turks. Throw in some Crusaders and there's lots to deal with. Not perfect, but a good challenge and lots of fun. Most civs are playable. Gapetit has done a beautiful job with the art.

3. Colonies IV. John Ellis's final version of his excellent colonial scenarios. European nations vie for control of North American and Caribbean colonies. Britain, France and Spain are the main contenders, but the Dutch and Swedes are also playable. This scenario suffers from a common design flaw though. The AI just can't do what is required to be competitive with a human player, which in this case is build, expand and defend overseas colonies. It's hard enough for the human player; impossible for the AI. However, I think Colonies IV would be a good candidate for a multi-player game.

Congratulations and thanks to Gapetit for his excellent makeovers. The new artwork gives these great old scenarios a new lease on life.

From Colonies IV I have included a modification on the scenario, including color sprites -thanks to Mercator- in some units.

Top Bottom