Scenario making for beginners.

When working with events.txt in ToT, when I use an @AND modifier to trigger a transport site build enable, does it matter which goes first when using both "receivedtechnology" and "alphacentauriarrival"?
From Macro.txt:
You can have one and only one @AND in any single @IF statement (and none in the @THEN portion of the event), and this modifier works only with these triggers: BRIBEUNIT, CHECKFLAG, CITYDESTROYED, CITYPRODUCTION, CITYTAKEN, RANDOMTURN, RECEIVEDTECHNOLOGY, TURN, TURNINTERVAL, and UNITKILLED. Both triggers must be complete and valid.

So no, because AlphaCentauriArrival doesn't work with the @AND modifier. Assuming it did, order is immaterial because both trigger conditions need to be satisfied for the event to fire. You could split the event triggers and use Flag in the action part. Use CheckFlag with a mask in a third event to combine the two. FYI, CheckFlag also works with @AND.

I've read several threads on the game's combat formula, and while the harder maths make my eyes glaze over I understand the general concept. Whereas in the vanilla game bigger is always better, I'm working on a project where I want to keep light infantry relevant. One way that occurred to me, and that you can see demonstrated in Strelok22's Bulgarian Civil War scenario, is to boost the hitpoints of light units and nerf them for vehicles—in a sense mimicking Civ3, where infantry have poor attack but good defence and vice versa for tanks. I'm just wondering if anyone that's crunched the numbers knows the rough equilibrium for this sort of HP/Firepower counterbalance.

Last edited:
Hi guys;
I' m working on a scenario located in Ancient Egypt. Its the first time i use the "editor" menu. Now what happens is that the scenario in question, whether played from scn. crashes 1 second after its loaded. When i try to play from the file .sav file, the game crashes at the end of the human turn.

Any help or threads that i could read to try and fix this?

Attachments

• Ancient egypt 1.7.sav
    80.5 KB · Views: 310
Is it possible to take away the abilities of diplomats and spies to bribe/subvert cities? And does it work for AI tribes and the Player?

With the events macro, is it possible to apply a negotiation mask halfway through the game instead of right from the start?

For example, Tribe A kidnaps Tribe B's precious little princess at Turn 140, with 360 turns still to go. Tribe B gets pissed off at Tribe A and refuses to talk or listen with Tribe A and declares war for the rest of the game, but Tribe C can still talk and listen with Tribes A and B with no problem.

Can something like this be done, or am I better off using the ToTPP lua for it?

Hi
Do you guys have a place to upload scenarios for other to download?
Please let know.
Regards

When hex editing a save or scenario file, where do I find the map information so I can remove map layers I don't want in Test of Time? Looking at the Catfish Cave page on the save file format, the column for the offset location is blank, so I do not know where to find it?

Someone just asked me where to go to get tips on Civ2 editing. Found this place and was about to send it to him, however it's sad to see it looking a bit neglected with dead links and questions unanswered.

@techumseh your link in the OP doesn't work. That's literally the first thing people see when they come in here.
I'm guessing you were linking to the old version of this? or one of its subsections?
https://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/faq/

@Case 's link doesn't work either and his is the second post which everyone sees next lol. He's long gone so I guess that can't be fixed although maybe you could add the updated link to the bottom of your post abovie it @techumseh ?
I presume he was linking to the old version of this page? http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Category:Tips

Thankfully the links i nthe 3rd post down by @Mercator still work as I notice he's been gone for a long time too (which is a shame as I know he was one of the gurus here behind some great stuff!).

@PlutonianEmpire sorry buddy your questions are a little too advanced level for me. :(

Hi
Do you guys have a place to upload scenarios for other to download?
Please let know.
Regards
@raphalv You'll be wanting here mate :)
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/

Hey guys, this brings me to a question I wanted to ask. I have some materials I've collected from before the move, scenario making tips and scenarios themselves. Would it be helpful if I uploaded them to CFC? Even if I am not (obviously) their author?

Oh, I thought the Downloads DB allowed for accreditation, but maybe that was vBulletin.

I'd say go for it, better we have them than not. :)

Hey guys, this brings me to a question I wanted to ask. I have some materials I've collected from before the move, scenario making tips and scenarios themselves. Would it be helpful if I uploaded them to CFC? Even if I am not (obviously) their author?

Oh please do! I've done it heaps that aren't mine purely to preserve them. If you look in both the Call to Power 1 and 2 sections you'll see I've put heaps of stuff in there. If you look at the descriptions you'll see examples of how I credited the authors.

Oh please do! I've done it heaps that aren't mine purely to preserve them. If you look in both the Call to Power 1 and 2 sections you'll see I've put heaps of stuff in there. If you look at the descriptions you'll see examples of how I credited the authors.

Awesome! I haven't done much uploading before so your is a great example to use! It will be a slow process, but if anything deserves being saved its Civ 1+2 stuff. :old:

Few noobies questions, putting hands back in scenarii after few years,

-I though putting directly barb on a city would give it to them. Seems it doesn't work with tot. Was is the case with MGE ? Did we always have to loose one turn to give barb cities ?

-Was a player of MGE, only scratching tot in the end. Resolve the units' sprit issue reading Catfishs' website then using the @units_advanced in rules.txt. Problem is, it covers until the extra unit H, leaving the one after that with their "original" skin. What am I missing there please :'(
/edit : Just added the missing lines, it works if one stupid guy thinks about reloading the savegame ... :D

Last edited:
Natively, TOT supports 80 unit types, the same as MGE. TOTPP allows this to be increased up to 127 unit types, or anything in between. (There are 81 up to a max of 128 icon slots in the Units image file, but the last one is always used for barbarian warlords and doesn't have a corresponding entry in Rules.txt.)

Computer memory is divided into 'bytes', which are 8 'bits', and each 'bit' can be 0 or 1. A byte can have 256 values, either 0 to 255, or -128 to 127 if interpreted as a number. So, if a unit's information has several bytes of information, and one of those bytes corresponds to the unit's type, it is relatively easy to tell the program that instead of 0-79 being valid unit types, 0-127 (or maybe 126 so there is still a barb leader slot) are valid unit types. It's not impossible to overcome this sort of thing, @TheNamelessOne seems to have somehow overcome a 1 byte limit for the number of cities. I presume that he gave us the maximum number of units that were easy to give.

I'm guessing a reason for 127 unit types instead of 255 is because the city information saves production in a single byte, with units being positive numbers, and improvements/wonders being negative numbers.
CityProductionByte.png

(If you care why I call 'counting down from 255' negative numbers, you can watch this video.)

How would I go about giving one unit different sprites for each civ? I recall Pluto Rising doing the same with cities.

Top Bottom