1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scenario making for beginners.

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by techumseh, May 1, 2002.

1. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

2. Mercator

Mercator Emperor

What year is it? The spaceship parts can only be built in AD years.

3. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Got it! That was it! :) Thank you

Werd, that would be useful a lot too, downloaded :hatsoff:

4. CivPartisan

CivPartisan King

Ahhh!!!...I see my reply didn't get posted before I went to eat...oh well---Thanks, Mercator! He said what I to say anyway. Also, the launch screen is going is still going to show up.

5. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Damn, I guess I better scap that idea :sad:

P.S. What might cause my game not to show "cheat menu warning message" when I try to activate CHEAT in my new normal Civ game? It seems every time I retire I get "CHEAT MODE" line even though I never used that mode in the game.

6. CivPartisan

CivPartisan King

Cheat mode has been used at some point to get that. I vaguely remember some author editing that line out of the game.txt file for whatever reason. Of course, if you save it as a scenario, then save that file as a regular save file cheat mode is gone when you retire...but it's only useful if you are at the beginning of the game otherwise your score is off, unless of course...that's what you want.

It's such a fun game after all these years, isn't it?

CivPartisan

7. Gelion

Gelion Captain

ROFL! I simply think that golden years of gaming were 1990's :)

The trick is NOT to have it and I simpy don't understand how CHEAT MODE gets activated at the start of the game. I'm looking everywhere to try and switch it off.

8. CivPartisan

CivPartisan King

So glad you like my words of wisdom...hehehe...
    :D

I do believe you are right- the 1990's were at least the golden years of gaming...

Next time you see cheat mode...cheat! :goodjob:

Send the barbarians a nuke. You'll feel better and it won't matter. :nuke:

Cheers,

CivPartisan

9. Catfish

Catfish Emperor

Have you tried deleting civ2.dat? A new file will be automatically created by the game.

10. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Thank you! It worked like magic! Do you know what the problem was exactly?

11. Catfish

Catfish Emperor

The game's handling of certain variables in memory is a bit buggy - often they're not cleared when they ought to be (like this, for example). I figure the same happens here and when your game settings are dumped to civ2.dat, the uncleared cheat flag is written to the file as well. Thus every time you fire up Civ2, the data from civ2.dat is loaded, together with the cheat flag. I've never had this happen to me using Civ2: Test of Time, so maybe it was fixed by this version - or maybe I'm just lucky. The bug and the solution have been known for some time.

12. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Now I even know how to fix city graphics! Thank you, this is a great asset to me.

13. Kessey

Kessey Chieftain

I have a question.

I'm really new at this scenerio creation, so my first attempt is pretty basic. I wanted a nuclear war; nothing fancy, just countries nuking each other from 4000 bc until the end of the game. I'm curious as to what it will do to the world by 2000 AD.

I set up a game on a small world, mostly islands, and 7 civs. I set it to Bloodlust and gave all civs all technologies. I gave 1 civ The Manhatton Project and set all gov'ts to Fundamentalism. I also set it to Deity level.

I had hoped it'd be like my PS game, where countries would use nukes as soon as they got them. However in this game, not one civ used a nuke ever, just ships, planes, and helicopters.

Is there a way to nudge everyone to use nukes throughout the game? I'm not sure how to edit the game so civs only have nukes, so I was hoping for a simpler solution.

Thanks and take care,

Jay

14. Pariah

Pariah Outside Influence

You could try editing the Rules.txt file: set the prerequisite tech for the unwanted units to something new, eg. X1 - and ensure that no other tech(s) lead to that one, making it impossible to attain.

15. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

I occaisionally edit the scenarios that came with Civ2 MGE to suit my preferences. Some snarios have woders enabled, and some do not, and I cannot figure out how to toggle that. The ones without wonders do not have changes to the rule.text file in the wonders' city improvment lines that would kill them, so I am guessing there is some way to toggle them on or off in scenario settings.
    How is it done?

16. Catfish

Catfish Emperor

Cheat menu → Scenario Parameters → Edit Victory Conditions → Toggle Count Wonders as Objectives

When wonders are counted as objectives, they cannot be built. You will only see the effect enabled in scenarios or saved games derived from them. Won't work in regular saved games.

17. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

Thank You. Thus to toggle it on in a senario which has them as victory objectives, you would have to toggle the conditon, and then save as a (new) scenario.

18. Catfish

Catfish Emperor

That's right.

If you wish to edit the scenario without advancing it by a turn, load the SCN file as you would a saved game. SCN files won't appear in the games list, so the file name must be entered manually. It should appear in your autofill list once you start typing.

19. Mr E

Mr E Chieftain

What is the best/easiest way to delete the huts when doing a custom map. I searched and searched but did not find anything about this.

Any suggestions, thank you in advance.

20. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Cheat → Scenario Parameters → Wipe all goody boxes

How do you make tribe-coloured units in ToT? I dug through a few scenarios for clues and experimented with a units_mask file, but they always show up in-game undynamic.