1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[SCENARIO] World War I

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Scenarios' started by Jon Shafer, May 6, 2006.

1. pigfarmer

pigfarmer Chieftain

. i unzipped them and put them in the mods folder - they show up with the other mods. when the game reloaded (ww1 or bfea), it froze at "checking xml". then i tried to load a previously playable mod (greece) and it too froze. the normal game still plays fine. what's going on and how can i fix this situation? btw i installed patch 1.61 and have a new and fast computer. also, when i try to log into multiplayer it just freezes for a moment then nothin (this has been dogging me for some time) suggestions? thanks!

2. risc06

risc06 Chieftain

First of all - this is the best Great War scenario I could have hoped for first off. Trip, your realisation of the frontiers and the positioning of cities, etc. is absolutely brilliant, as is the use of the flags instead of leader heads that might look wierd (as in the WWII scenario way back in Civ2). It is also really fun to play (I've so far tried Germany and Britain).
    Fantastic stuff, but I do have one or two nit-picking little problems that have been bugging me, as well as a few suggestions, if you'll indulge me.
    Firstly, there shouldn't be any French Dreadnoughts (spelling needs to have an 'o' rather than an 'a' to be accurate) in the English channel or North Sea - Anglo-French naval talks in 1912 concluded with Britain assuming responsibility for the defence of northern waters, with France holding the Mediterranean and Bay of Biscay (except for some British battlecruisers at Malta). Also, perhaps there should be a German dreadnought in the Mediterranean to represent the Goeben, which was 'gifted' (in Civ terms) to Turkey at the end of 1914? I also think that October 1914 is way too early to be letting 'barbarian' strikers appear in Germany - unrest on this kind of scale (of a size to seriously trouble German military units) did not occur until the wave of insurrections that led to the fall of the Kaiser and the proclamation of the republic in November 1918.
    Also 'King Wilhelm' of the Netherlands should be 'Queen Wilhelmina' (she assumed the throne in 1890), and is Sweden ruling Norway for any reason other than a need to cut down on AI civs (Norway was independent from 1905)? I'd also be in favour of renaming the Italian leader King Victor Emmanuel III (Orlando did not become premier until 1917), and the Bulgarian Tsar (yes, he was that arrogant!) Ferdinand I.
    Apart from this, my only other problems are historiographical - it's wrong to say in the intro that Britain had an 'alliance' with Belgium (there was an agreement to uphold Belgian sovereignty, which Germany broke, giving the British an excuse to get involved); the Austrian archduke's name was 'Franz Ferdinand' (like the awesome Aussie band!).
    Please feel free to disregard this stuff, but I just thought it should be pointed out for when you do World War I.2.
    Awesome scenarios like this are what makes the CIV series the greatest!!!

3. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

Hmmm, that is odd. My best suggestion would be to uninstall Civ 4, delete everything related to it (the install folder and the stuff in My Documents\My Games\) and then reinstall from the CD, patch to 1.61 and then extract the mods where they belong. If that doesn't work then we'll have to try something else.

4. Jon Shafer

Thanks risc. I did go out of my way to try and get the map looking as good as possible. It's very big, and it would probably be easier to play if there weren't so many units and cities, but to decrease the scale would cause a lot of issues I didn't want to deal with.

Next time I update (not sure when that will be though ;)) I will take your comments into account. The unrest in countries is based solely off of the number of units you've lost along with a random chance so I wanted rebellions to be something a bit outside history (since it would be unfair to have everyone play by the rules while only Germany can wait until the last year of the war before dealing with serious resistance).

Glad you enjoyed it.

5. jawz92

jawz92 Chieftain

This is great, but why did u include barbs?

And for you who didnt know, you place it in the mod directory :p

6. Jon Shafer

The Barbs represent rebellious folk.

7. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Great scenario ! It's good to see something else than WW2 :)

8. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

Trip i noticed that in civilopedia history of Austro-Hungarian Empire is America's history not Austro-Hungarian's historical datas.
    I'm using italian version so perhaps the bug is only on italian version.

9. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Dude, why does Britain have oilrigs?

Especially off the coast of Cornwall, that is just plain silly.

If you NEED oil in Britain for the purposes of the scenario have it as oil produced from coal at Grangemouth or something of that nature. Given oil wasn't tapped in the North Sea till 1973 or there abouts.

It just detracts immediately from the ambience.

10. TrailblazingScot

Russia has no coal, OR iron?

11. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Great Scenario!! The only problem I see is that barbarians sometimes have the german flag, perhaps because germany is using their color...

12. He-Who-Hunts

He-Who-Hunts 2nd Legionary Cohort

Just finished it with Germany on Prince, got a Victory point win... Fabulous scenario!

Although I REALLY miss the civ III 3 artillery... you know; how it was fairly easy to get away with using no cat/can then come industrial age you build like 100 Artillery and RAISE hell WWI style.....

13. TrailblazingScot

My French are in a bloody war that is really hurting :D

It is mid-1916 and I've retaken Strasbourgh, I'd have done better but for some savage German counter-attacks and the rather rubbish help that my so-called British ally has provided. Well, at least the seas are well and truely British and there is no reason to worry as far as that is concerned.

This scenario plays very well, just needs abit of tweaking here and there to improve ambience. I'd recommend maybe "minefields" at sea as there were in history to prevent the British simply taking to landing troops in Northern Germany and so the German ports have some shielding. The added bonus is that it is historically accurate to some degree :)

14. Elponitnatsnoc

Elponitnatsnoc Master Debater

Whenever I start the game, I get the option to select one of the 18 civilizations and it starts and I have a settler and worker on the map. I assume this is not how it is supposed to happen.

P.S. The scenario didn't load when I followed your instructions, I had to copy the file to the public maps folder.

EDIT: I tried accessing the XML files, and they couldn't be located. What's the deal with this? Why can't these scenarios be downloaded when you "check for updates" on the game menu? That would be a lot easier. I have really been looking forward to a WWI scenario and now there is one and I can't seem to play it- most agravating, I'm in tears now. (actually I'm pretty angry though)

EDIT Again: My game just crashed now....

EDIT: for the last time, lol

I un-installed and re-installed it and its working now.

15. Caleb_kreegan

Caleb_kreegan Chieftain

Hi Trip, nice work ;)

Just a suggestion : I've been playing with Germany and I found that the unit voices are in Latin. Could you change it to german plz?

16. Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou you're my wife now dave!

fantastic stuff risc06, but I do have a nit-picking little problem..... franz ferdinand are a british band* :p
    :)crazyeye: joking aside, you obviously know your onions, hopefully these changes will be implemented. can i also just say thank you very much trip, give this man a promotion)

*unless there's some antipodean version im unaware of

17. Samuelson

Samuelson Prince

Pretty good, but i was expecting some new civics and maybe a trench improvement.

18. Jawsofwar

Jawsofwar Chieftain

Played a bit of the scenario as the brits and they all speak in latin?? Anyone else have this happen to them. Guess the romans influenced Britain more than I have known ;)

19. Jawsofwar

Jawsofwar Chieftain

I had same problem and fixed it by extracting the zip file directly into the mods folder. Do not try and extract files and then drag them into the mods folder. When I did that they didnt work.

20. StrategyDoRk

StrategyDoRk Chieftain

I started playing and it looks great, although I haven't goten that far. :) I was wondering if you involved the flu pandemic of 1918? Does the scenario go that far?