[SCENARIO] World War I

Have played you scenario like 2 hours straight :crazyeye: I am Gustav V of Sweden have been with war against the russians since the beginning and finally I control st:petersburg :king: !! among other russian city's, have recently lost stavanger to Spain so there are cavalry running around in Sweden, the Russians don't want any peace, the British control all of the Baltic sea...

I have one complain Though:
*Scandinavia is a bit misshapen, i changed it myself to make it look more real :p

And is there a reason that when the Americans landed a massive force at Norway and then just disapeared ?

Trip said:
# World War I
# Civilization 4 (c) 2005 Firaxis Games

Thanks for the mod.

I downloaded it today and tried my hand as Italy. I played at the default difficulty settings and managed to do rather well. I waited until June 1916 to join the allied side, and decided to advance through the Adriatic ports, using naval bombardment to soften up resistance in advance. I took Trieste and Fiume, then turned against Salzburg, capturing it with heavy losses. Unfortunately, my allies deserted me in autumn 1917, signing a peace treaty, and the Germans counterattacked on a massive scale, recapturing Salzburg and pouring into Northern Italy with cavalry.

All in all, a very enjoyable mod.

Yay, this looks awesome - and there goes the rest of my evening. ha!

Just a question. I just downloaded the scenario, and when i start it up i only have a choice of 7 civs. Is that the number of playable civs?
I remember reading that there were 18 in this scenario, or am I just wrong???

Just a question. I just downloaded the scenario, and when i start it up i only have a choice of 7 civs. Is that the number of playable civs?
I remember reading that there were 18 in this scenario, or am I just wrong???

there are only intended 7 civs to the scenario i think, but if you open the map file with wordpad, right click then open with, you can scroll down and you will be able to edit wich civ that is playable or not.

Stellan_87 said:
there are only intended 7 civs to the scenario i think, but if you open the map file with wordpad, right click then open with, you can scroll down and you will be able to edit wich civ that is playable or not.

Thank You very much Stellan_87, I did exactly as you wrote and it worked!
I just had to change the playable civ value to 1 on the civs that had 0.

Thank You Very Much.

Good map. Played on the normal difficulty. Only took about three hours to finish... Needs to be longer. There also needs to be far fewer revolts!!! Took too much time and energy to put them down, especially given how few there actually were. Even the major French "revolt" wasn't much of a revolt, they just refused to attack and for good reason. Back to the game, the French were pretty much a push over. The Russians proved more difficult. The British took more cities from me than either the French or Russians!!
Finally, since you don't want it to be perfectly historically accurate, why not give the Minor Nations a choice of joining or staying nuetral.

...WOW...Amzaing Mod.......Great Job Trip. I could never could get a large map or larger to open up on my machine. When I unzipped this mod and installed, then fired up the game...well, you could imagine my surprise. One question though?....When I went to play the mod for the first time and then went back to play my saved game a message appears "Must load World War I Mod to play...Retarting game" It restarts and whola....game is on. Is this normal...I'm asking cause I have never played any mods before. It might be a dumb question..but...lol...like to know....................Great Job Trip WTG:) :)

Bright day
Nice scenario... though I started playing on noble as Ustria and ran into red with 0 research, that is rather too harsh I believe. Plus I think that Prague should be somewhat boosted as bohemia was the austrian industrial region.

EDIT: Also, Bulgaria is not perma-allied, and is it me or does it declare late?

Papa Lazarou said:
fantastic stuff risc06, but I do have a nit-picking little problem..... franz ferdinand are a british band* :p
:)crazyeye: joking aside, you obviously know your onions, hopefully these changes will be implemented.

:blush: Oh my deity! I can't believe I wrote that - obviously had my mind on other things - like playing the awesome scenario. :D Cheers for the 'onions' call, Papa Lazarou - my students are hardly ever that kind!
Also, I think I agree with kittenOFchaos that there should be some kind of minefield improvement/setup/thing available to players (I say this with my beloved High Seas Fleet at the bottom of the North Sea - no doubt about who won that Battle of Jutland!).

Jawsofwar said:
Played a bit of the scenario as the brits and they all speak in latin?? Anyone else have this happen to them. Guess the romans influenced Britain more than I have known ;)

Yeah, with Germany happens the same :sad:

Trip said:
Hmmm, that is odd. My best suggestion would be to uninstall Civ 4, delete everything related to it (the install folder and the stuff in My Documents\My Games\) and then reinstall from the CD, patch to 1.61 and then extract the mods where they belong. If that doesn't work then we'll have to try something else.

i have done so - deleted and reinstalled incl p 1.61... now none of the mods will run (incl tutorial) i havent shifted any files etc. this is starting to freak me out and i'm starting to feel jinxed. the regular game runs fine. is this a freak occurence or can i still fix it and play these cool mods? :confused:

The only (minor) thing that annoys me is that it'd be nice if it had a list of great people that made more sense.

Regardless, that is just minor. An excellent scenario indeed.

This is great. Definately better than the Desert War and American Rev. scenarios.
But here are my nitpicks, and what I think should be addressed:

1. No peace treaties before end of Scen. (discussed above)
2. No Score victories before end of Scen. or raise score victories to at least 600 (of the 3 games I played, 2 ended with score victories for the Allies as soon as Americans arrived)

(as an Ottoman history student, my concerns)
3. Ottoman infantry should not be so much weaker than the Russians, nor should they be weaker than the Austro-Hungarians, who, if you think about it, would have gotten their asses handed to them by the Turk if they had gone at it. I accept the British being so much weaker than the Ottomans, but not the Russians. Also, to prevent their army from being disbanded in 1915, the Ottomans should have more gold, or at least a bank and/or grocer in Constantinople (yes they were in debt, but they also had plenty of banks)
4. Also, main Ottoman army mustered in Halab/Aleppo, not Gaza, in 1915. In this scen, Halab begins the scenario empty.

As you can probably surmise, my main pet peeves on this are the early victories and peace treaties. It sounds like some people are having Peace Treaty problems with BfEAsia too. I think it would be pretty easy to add in a "permanantwarpeace" into this.

All in all, thanks for all your hard work.

edit: I second the Great People comment. How many people are into modding this ourselves, since Trip probably doesn't have time to tweak it... we could add in the naval mines, a great people list and more? Who is up for that?

edit @ Marcus: Maybe a solution could be to get rid of the one Ottoman dreadnaught (which sometimes got disbanded for me anyway, and instead give more gold)
I think that perhaps Trip didn't have the time to set each players gold in his scenarios, he was too busy on admittadly much more important things, like writing these great scripts.

Perhaps Kopernikus and the Frontline 1918 crew could collaborate on mixing this map with a further mod to allow some more units, and maybe something that might stop the one-turn capturing of cities, back and forth.

To suport jlocke, the ottoman soldiers often fought without uniforms, food or many other things most armies would demand. Also, they should have a large reserve of cash seeing that the British bought back two dreadnoughts they were building for the Ottomans.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad (most!) people are enjoying it, despite a few flaws. As jlocke has mentioned I don't really have time to continue updating this as I would like to, but certainly support any efforts to do so by others.

As with BFEA, there's no way to PREVENT the AIs from making peace short of setting permanent war/peace, but then countries like Italy and the United States won't be able to join the war after the scenario begins. I believe I implemented an event which makes them go back to war the next turn though... that's the best I could come up with. ;)

pigfarmer said:
i have done so - deleted and reinstalled incl p 1.61... now none of the mods will run (incl tutorial) i havent shifted any files etc. this is starting to freak me out and i'm starting to feel jinxed. the regular game runs fine. is this a freak occurence or can i still fix it and play these cool mods? :confused:
I would try one more time. Everyone else seems to be able to get things working so there's probably something lingering somewhere in \My Documents\ or something. It's odd that everything else seems to be working. Whenever things don't work like this for me I just uninstall-delete-reinstall a few times and see if it goes away. ;)

player1 fanatic said:
One question:
I'm planning to mod this scenario to make Serbia playable (guess why?)
So would that break any scripted events or not?
Shouldn't, I don't believe I have any events connected to Serbia. Good luck against Austria-Hungary though. ;)

2. No Score victories before end of Scen. or raise score victories to at least 600 (of the 3 games I played, 2 ended with score victories for the Allies as soon as Americans arrived)

I agree with this... My game as Germany ended in 1916 with a victory score, on monarch level. That was a little dissapointing... I continued playing, but got a CTD a couple of turns later...

Anyway, great mod Trip! Have consider making this for a living? ;)

I enjoyed this scenario A LOT. Thank you. It's very accurate. However I noticed a few missing cities on the outer parts of the map. Perhaps you can fix that? Also the tech descriptions are incorrect.

Top Bottom