Scoring?

Dell19

Take a break
How does the scoring system work? Looking at the table, some people have had the same results but have different scores. Is this to do with the score of who you were playing and if so, how is it calculated?

I'm not about to explain the ELO rating system ;)....thats what is being used if you care to investigate it yourself :)

Its very informal and means absolutely nothing.

I should add due to players playing more than 1 at a time,it is less than 100% accurate.

Should we have a tournament or something?...might take awhile.It would take some commitment of time.Thats one problem I have seen.Players can't finish what they start cuz they keep getting banned :D

A tourney would be a great idea, but again it comes down to the time problem (although most of the games are going through at a fair old rate).

What format would the tourney take? Swiss format? Single (or double, or even triple) elimination?

Regardless of the format, I'm in!:D

As an aside, I've finished licking my wounds now, and I'll start another game with someone this coming Thursday (I've got other commitments until then). Dell19, how about a battle of Lincs?:D

That would be cool to have a tournament and a battle of lincolnshire? Btw we have the best football team :p

Originally posted by Gazmond
What format would the tourney take? Swiss format? Single (or double, or even triple) elimination?

A torney soiunds like a great idea!:goodjob:

The best format would probably double round robin. Since most people could play more than one game at a time, in theory, the longest game could define the length of the torney.

I'm willing to volunteer too help direct, if needed.

So, who's in and when do we start?
:cooool:

ok, tell ya what...I'll give you the ball.Run with it :)

Anything you can come up is good.Keep in mind the logistics of this modern "postal chess".I'm hesitant cuz I can see some potential problems getting such an endeavor finished.

I have never run a tournament of any kind.I have participated in them but thats the easy part ;)

I like a round robin...but this is also the most difficult to organize and finish.Maybe a double knock out with an A side and a B side?Maybe a swiss?

OK Smash.

It's been about 10-12 years since I played in a torney, and even longer since I helped organized one, but I think I can handle it.

Sometime in the next few days I'd like to post a poll to get a sense of what people want and how many are interested. It might help if the poll could be made sticky in order to atract more attention.

As far as a round robin being difficult to organize, it would be the easiest: have everybody play everybody twice and report the results. All that's left to do is tabulate the results and resolve problems.

That, and of course, play. :)

I would be quite interested in playing in a torunament but I don't know what a round robin is and I would probably lose all my games....

Originally posted by Dell19
I would be quite interested in playing in a torunament but I don't know what a round robin is and I would probably lose all my games....

A round robin is when everybody plays everybody else. For example, if there are 10 people, you would one game/match against the other 9.

As far as losing all your games goes: I have always found that when I lost a chess game, it didn't bother me so much if it was because I was out played. It was when I beat myself that I was very dissapointed.

Top Bottom