1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Scotland!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by WaxonWaxov, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Sid'sCivIVFan

Sid'sCivIVFan Chieftain

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I drop the CustomAssests folder into the mods folder of the game. When I select load a mod it appears and the game restarts but the Scotts do not show up as selectable Civ. What a I doing wrong?

2. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Warlord

This was not designed to be used as a mod. From the download put the folders that are within Custom Assests in the Custom Assests folder under /mydocuments/mygames/Civ4....

Once you've done that, start the game and you should be albe to use the Scots WITHOUT loading it as a mod.

PM me with anymore questions. I don't monitor this thread like I used to.

3. herbie1302

herbie1302 Chieftain

Below is a list of Scottish Kings and Queens

THE HOUSE OF ALPIN
    Kenneth Macalpin (843-859)
    Donald I (860-863)
    Constantine I (863-877)
    Aed (877-878)
    Eochaid (878-889)
    Donald II (889-900)
    Constantine II (900-942)

THE HOUSE OF DUNKELD
    Malcolm I (942-954)
    Indulf (954-962)
    Dubh (962-967)
    Cuilean (967-971)
    Kenneth II (971-995)
    Constantine III (995-997)
    Kenneth III (997-1005)
    Malcolm II (1005-1034)
    Duncan I (1034-1040)
    Macbeth (1040-1057)
    Lulach (The Fool) (1057-1058)

THE HOUSE OF CANMORE
    Malcolm III (Canmore) (1058-1093)
    Donald Ban (1093-1094)
    Duncan II (May-November 1094)
    Donald Ban and Edmund (1094-1097)
    Edgar (The Peaceable) (1097-1107)
    Alexander (The Fierce) (1107-1124)
    David I (1124-1153)
    Malcolm IV (The Maiden) (1153-1165)
    William (The Lion) (1165-1214)
    Alexander II (1214-1249)
    Alexander III (1249-1286)
    Margaret (Maid of Norway) (1286-1290)

The Competitors (Balliol and Bruce)

THE HOUSE OF BALLIOL
    John Balliol (1292-1296)

THE HOUSE OF BRUCE
    Robert I (The Bruce) (1306-1329)
    David II (1329-1371)

THE HOUSE OF STEWART
    Robert II (1371-1390)
    Robert III (1390-1406)
    James I (1406-1437)
    James II (1437-1460)
    James III (1460-1488)
    James IV (1488-1513)
    James V (1513-1542)
    Mary Queen of Scots (1542-1587)
    James VI (1567-1603) of Scotland James I of England

4. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

ok i put the folders in your download under custom assests and i can now play scotland but it also caused some xml errors. the chinese leader head, communisum and three georges dam. i can still play the game but i worry what this will do to the game later when i reach those spots.

5. warwickboy

warwickboy Chieftain

No I don't. It would have been more sensible to have leaders such as Edward I, Henry VIII and so on to represent England. Yes, technically Queen Vic was the queen of England, but also the queen of the United Kingdoms. It annoys people when they buy a game to see their national identity has been subsumed incorrectly. Not so much that it makes them go storming back to the games shop - the game is of course loose with history and is just a game after all - but enough to make them wish that a little more sensitivity had been used when creating the civs.

The England/Great Britain debate is one that still has some ferocity in the UK, and the smaller nations besides England are adamant that the terms 'England' and 'UK' (or 'Great Britain' or whatever) are not viewed as synonymous.

Tip: Make sure you get the terms sorted out in your mind before you're next sipping the whisky in a Scottish bar ;)

6. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

any chance this mod will come out in a Warlords edition?:D

7. thetank

thetank Chieftain

I'd go with Mary

gotta sex it up a bit.

8. dalauder

dalauder Chieftain

Where do ya get the download?

9. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Gruoch - "Lady Macbeth" - would prolly be cooler. Mary was a bit of a loser.

10. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

my word, this thread's been away a long time! i thought it might have been announcing bts compatibility.

11. Corm

Corm Prince

Yup im interested in this for BtS too. If I knew how to do it or could be pointed in the direction of insturctions to teach myself how to do it I would find the time...

12. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

Yes we demand Scotland for BtS!!!

13. Corm

Corm Prince

...and a Shhhhhrubbbery! :D

BTW: For a unique building, if there isnt one, could I suggest a Kirk to replace the Church building but it also gives a bonus to Science. Representing Scotlands historical Kirk based education system which is older than many European Civs education systems.

14. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

Scotland for BtS, now. ->

The SNP member in me wants to send in some highlanders against the English Empire.
    Could be funny to make England my vassal.

15. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

I've started making one for BTS; I'll upload it when it's finished.

16. Soneji

Nothing better than London under the St Andrews Cross!

:D

17. Soneji

Good one Calcagus. Quite a lengthy job to undertake on your own?

18. Soneji

Like so?

:lol:

19. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Well, I've got the leader done (pinched from a previous mod), and integrated; got the UU integrated. It works. Need to do a UB, then write the texts for everything, play around with the stats. The leader is Malcolm II, Mael Coluim mac Cinaeda. Could change it to Mac Bethad or Causantin II or even Malcolm III... but the particular leader graphics being used means the leader has to be drawn from that pre-Norman era. I want to add a second and/or third leader ... one of whom will be David I. Would love to have Robert Bruce ... but there are no appropriate animated heads about. The only alternative would be a renaissance/early modern ruler such as James IV, James V or James VI. Or I could used Isabella (or her derivative Willelmina), change the background, and make her Mary ... but that'd be lame.

Mael Coluim II: Charismatic & Protective
    David I: Financial & Spiritual

The Charlemagne graphics (with changed background) would have been perfect for David, but he's wearing a frigging imperial - rather than royal - crown, which makes it usable for a king of that era. The Polish mod's Casimir is good too, but he's got Poland's arms as buttons for his cloak - so again, not usable. I guess I could go static, but I don't like that so much.

Used a wonderful Norman soldier for the UU ... a Gallo(w)glass - soldiers from the Hebrides, Argyll, Galloway and Carrick who helped kick the English out of most of Ireland and helped kick them out of Scotland. The availability of new units in the community kinda narrows the options for a UU, but Gallowglass is not a bad one. Any ideas for bonuses anyone? It will be a maceman replacement ... so that's the base.

20. Soneji

Well in CivGold 3.0 for Warlords the UU is a swordsman replacement, the Highlander. Starts with Gorrila I iirc. So a Gallowglass would be a slightly more historic unit.. but sounds good.

Considering it would be a mace replacement, I think shock 1 would be required.. either that or CR1. Because the advantage of the UU comes later than a swordsman, there would be more enemies and or cities to take. I would rather shock to be truthful. Or Amphibious, for some medieval hilarity!

As for Robert Bruce, has no one ever done a leader head for him before? I'll need to fire up CivGold in Warlords tonight and have a gander again.

UB - Market Cross? Perhaps? I would like to see Scotlands once great navies given some recognition, how about some early sort of Dry-dock that gives 15-25% increase in ship productions? (To recognise how Scotland kept neck and neck with England in terms of naval production until we rather stupidly loaned everything to the French)