Scotland!

Well in CivGold 3.0 for Warlords the UU is a swordsman replacement, the Highlander. Starts with Gorrila I iirc. So a Gallowglass would be a slightly more historic unit.. but sounds good.

Considering it would be a mace replacement, I think shock 1 would be required.. either that or CR1. Because the advantage of the UU comes later than a swordsman, there would be more enemies and or cities to take. I would rather shock to be truthful. Or Amphibious, for some medieval hilarity!

As for Robert Bruce, has no one ever done a leader head for him before? I'll need to fire up CivGold in Warlords tonight and have a gander again.

UB - Market Cross? Perhaps? I would like to see Scotlands once great navies given some recognition, how about some early sort of Dry-dock that gives 15-25% increase in ship productions? (To recognise how Scotland kept neck and neck with England in terms of naval production until we rather stupidly loaned everything to the French)

James IV may famously have had a decent navy ... but really ... can we honestly say a great navy characterised Scottish civilization? 'Tis an idea of course. Under Britain Glasgow produced something like a half of the world's ships, but no Scottish state benefitted from that. Besides, there is usually sync between UUs, leaders and UBs. Mercat cross ain't terrible. UB is a toughy.

Anyways, mod is progessing well. Just got the civilopaedia's to do before all pre-UB work is completed.

Here's a little preview:

You can see I changed the color of Charlemagne's beard and put Carlisle Castle behind him. Mael Coluim II has Dunnottar Castle behind him I should add.

RE the UU. I'm not sure I understand why a shock or city raider bonus would be historically justified ... well Shock more so that city raider. Was thinking about +25% hill attack (cancelling out the hill defense bonus) and/or +1 XP attack value ... i.e. 20% higher XP per successful attack. Well, that's what I'm thinking changing XPattackvalue from 4 to 5 will do. Would seem appropriate given that this maceman replacement is a swordsman ... and swordsmanship - esp. among these guys - was very much an improvable art. What do you think?

The other option would be giving them the hill attack bonus and Woodsman II. That would make the Galloglass a unique unit ... but not overpowered in an inappropriate way. For the moment, I'm gonna set it up with Guerrilla II. With just that, that's pretty safely not overpowered and historically meaningful ... it means all upgraded units from that with keep that promotion, which would be appropriate when that's the kind of advantage Scottish soldiers were supposed to have, esp. so as when they get upgraded to Riflemen they'll keep the advantage.

Well no, but I was struggling to think of another UB in all honesty. I was trying to point out that it was a decent navy and as much as a match for the English navy at the time, considering the size difference between the countries. I'm open to other suggestions.

Woodsman II sounds interesting, but I think Guerilla II would be more appropriate.

I am going to go and have a long think about the UB..

I was contemplating a range of possibilites; financial boost is bad given David I's traits; military boost bad given Mael Coluim II's traits. So science boost is necessary ... but to be appropriate would have to follow the Ethiopian example and draw UU and UB from completely different eras. Thus, I suggest Royal Society as an Observatory replacement.

Observatory's traits are:
*Cost=150
*"can turn one citizen into a scientist"
*+25% science

Royal Society I'd suggest:
*Cost=200
*Requires University
*1 free scientist
*Can turn two citizens into Scientists

The Royal Society would thus be one "can turn citizen into a scientist" stronger than the French salon, but this is compensated for by the University requirement not possessed for either the Observatory or Salon, and the 33% extra cost. What do you think?

I know Royal Societies aren't unique to Scotland of course ... but Stock Exchanges are hardly unique to England, Saloons to France, Gardens to Babylon, Mausoleums to India, etc. Good way to simulate Scottish scientific genius of the 18th and 19th centuries.

The other possibility could be Select Club ... being no different from the Observatory but having the free scientist ... equal in cost and power to the salon (though the salon gets an artist rather than a scientist).

I'm thinking atm that the former idea is better.

The civ is now virtually ready. UU, UB, civilopedia texts, etc, are all done. I will play a full game now, but can upload it any time. Will use another thread when I do though.

Went for the Royal Society for now. UB takes not very long to change though.

Did you do the graphics for the UB yourself!

Upload it!

:D

Let me see!

Just to stick my oar in. I think the UB should have something to do with Science since the Scottish Education system was one of the best historicaly speaking for a long period of time. Like I suggested above the Kirk could replace the church building and give a bonus to Science or the Royal Society idea is pretty good.

For the UU I would still go with Shiltrons (Pikemen with a bonus) or the Highlander/Gallowglass idea (although the term Gallowglass is used nowadays to mean Irish sowrdsman so might be best to stick with Highlander.

I know its not a war like unit but some sort of Scottish explorer unit could be used as the UU too as the Scots are famous for traveling all around the world as Mercs, Explorers, Missionaries etc. When I was in Bejing recently there was a Tang era clay figure that had red/ocher hair and was wearing what looked dystinctly like plaid trews. The description only said possible European Merchant though. I know what it looked like to me. Just a suggestion mind you.

Top Bottom