1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Scotland!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by WaxonWaxov, Nov 14, 2005.

1. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Chieftain

Hello all here is my Scotland mod....

EDIT:

Check out the new readme in post #3 below....

2. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Chieftain

trying to upload....

3. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Chieftain

4. Reveilled

Reveilled Chieftain

Doesn't having William Wallace and Robert the Bruce make the civ a little...I don't know, limited in timespan?
    I'd definitely keep one of them in, but maybe a better choice for a second leader would be someone from earlier or later times? As some ideas, maybe William the Lion, Alexander III, James VI (or Mary? I don't really remember much about how good a ruler she was from history classes), or even Donald Dewar (would be pretty much perfect with an FDR leaderhead).

I'll have to give this a try, though. Looks interesting.

5. Wizard of OU

Wizard of OU Chieftain

He is quite right, I love William Wallace as much as anyone, but he was never King or ruler of Scotland. But, I think that it is perhaps the best choice, on the grounds that picking a modern day ruler of Scotland would be a bit of predicting the future.

6. Wizard of OU

Wizard of OU Chieftain

where do we download these files to?

7. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Wherever you have Civ4 installed it should eventually look like :

..... Program Files\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods so that his new folder get plopped into your Mods folder and doesn't overwrite any core files.

8. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Oh yeah. Great news on a new Civ to absorb into my mod. I'll be looking for it!

9. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Chieftain

Yea, I might replace Wallace with James VII since after all he's the Scottish King that conquered (through inheritence) England.

More updates to come later this evening... (like 13 hours from now)

10. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Don't you mean James VI? James VI also became James I of England around 1603.

And yes I agree, Robert the Bruce and James VI (or I) would be better choices than William Wallace.

11. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Chieftain

You are correct, Sir. I got a little carried away with the "I"s in the post above.

I was just thinking about Macbeth instead of James VI (I)... who knows.
    Right now, I've got bigger fish to fry with getting the UU, Highlander, to work.

After that, I'll learn how to use custom 2D pictures for Robert the Bruce. I'll probably use stills of Angus Macfayden from the movie.

By then I'll decide who the #2 leader for the Scots should be. It probably won't be Wallace.

12. Sadistik

Sadistik Chieftain

Just a suggestion, but you could always use the famous conqueror Brian Boru as an alternative leader if you don't like Wallace. His title was "Imperator Scottorum" which translates to "Emperor of the Gaels", as at the time (1004) Ireland and Scotland were considered to be two halves of the same coin, so to speak. (Eire / Ireland's latin name was Scotia Major, while Alba / Scotland was Scotia Minor). Scotland itself was not truly unified yet as Strathclyde was still independent, while Ireland was split into four major kingdoms before Boru, but unified under him.

On the other hand, I think Bruce would fit in any situation, be it Scotland or the latter Pan-Gaelic suggestion I proposed, as he and his younger brother were invited to conquer Ireland, with the latter crowned king before eventually dying in battle. He was truly Scotland's most famous (and probably rightfully so) monarch. I would strongly consider MacBeth as a second one if you don't like the Boru idea.

Yours,
    Sadistik

13. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Chieftain

Thanks for the history lesson on Boru.

Last night I worked on the graphics for The Bruce, but still need to pound out of technical issues with it.

As for the another Scot leader, I've decided to go with Macbeth. I feel he's a better choice than Wallace or James VI.

The completed mod, including UUs, should be complete by the end of the weekend.

EDIT: Maybe I will go with William the Lion......

14. Reveilled

Reveilled Chieftain

I actually quite like Macbeth, but it will no doubt attract some Scots that are less able to think of our history as anything but sunshine, roses and bunnies into your thread to complain about how evil and terrible a ruler Macbeth was and how such an evil person leading scotland is offensive, indicitave of bigotry, yadda yadda yadda.

In light of that, William the Lion might be the better choice. The only obstacle will be that huge beard of his in a leaderhead.:mischief:

15. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Chieftain

Funny thing is, I'm spending all this energy to pick a second leader for the Scots when I'll only probably ever play as The Bruce (and so would many others I figures.)

I'm considering making a Civ mod that is the Templars.....

16. Reveilled

Reveilled Chieftain

Well, you don't need to put in a second leader. Most Scots won't have heard of William the Lion (nor, for many, Macbeth!). Scottish History in Scottish schools is basically just William Wallace, Robert Bruce and Mary Queen of Scots (with brief guest appearances at either end of the cirriculum by Alexander III and James VI), and outside of Scotland, aside from those who actively study the country's history, it's not going to be more than that either.

I don't think the civ will be worse off for just having King Robert as its only leader.

17. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

below are the files i have modified to add the higlander as a special UU in my SuperCiv mod...(zip->rar, paste them over the previous one...)

the only think i haven't done is the copper or iron (it requires iron only) it is discovered with metal casting but need monarchy and iron working

and i like william wallace as a second leader

Attached Files:

18. Sadistik

Sadistik Chieftain

I fear Shakespeare did more harm than good for MacBeth and the Loairn dynasty.

19. Halk

Halk Chieftain

Can I suggest Kenneth MacAlpine as the leader rather than Wallace?

MacAlpine would be Expansive/Aggressive.

Schiltron might be a better unique unit. Have it replace archers, and give it archer stats, but 50% bonus v mounted or something like that.

Just suggestions, that's all!

20. Reveilled

Reveilled Chieftain

Shouldn't Schiltrons replace Pikemen?

In any case, it's a good idea for a UU. The only problem would be in modelling a tichtly packed circle of spearmen with just three figures.:sad: