Scouts being 'upgraded'

smileylad

Chieftain
I'm in Europe and therefore, only have the demo to play on at the moment, so I don't know if this will happen in the main game ( I'm presuming it will ).

Anyway, my scouts defeated a few barbarian units and were promoted to a military unit. This makes them stronger, but you lose their movement bonus and so on.

I found this annoying as I wanted a scout to explore as I already had enough warriors and spearmen. This happened to anyone else?

Actually you KEEP the movement bonus! (It's a promotion.)

Archers that can shoot on the same turn they enter a mountain/forest or cross a river are awesome.

By the way, I did not found a way to upgrade my Warriors to Spearmen in the demo. How is one supposed to do that?

By the way, I did not found a way to upgrade my Warriors to Spearmen in the demo. How is one supposed to do that?

I think you can't. Spearmen IMO upgrades only to pikemen, warrior upgrades to swordsman. Upgrades go only in their pre-defined lines of the same unit types.

Actually you KEEP the movement bonus! (It's a promotion.)

Archers that can shoot on the same turn they enter a mountain/forest or cross a river are awesome.

I agree with you, I had the same thing from a ruin and I took my foot rampaging the barbarians afterward !

In my latest game (although the demo yet and only on Prince) I was able to capture the roman capital with a Scout that was upgraded to a Hoplite in a goodie hut and another scout.

After killing some barbarians they sat right next to the city on some hills. The Hoplite got Medic promotion and the scout survivability 2 for extra healing and +50% defense.

Somehow the AI City did not attack the Hoplite (maybe it thought kill the weak unit first). So basically my scout was attacked each turn but healed all damage. My Hoplite was storming the city, healing, attacking again, healing... also sacked a worker, a settler and a warrior that was returning home from scouting. Also 2 freshly produced warriors.
This went on for I think at least 20 turns. I captured Rome which has enough luxuries to pay for happy and now my really experienced hoplite is backing my fresh 2 units of companion cavalry in the storm on Thebes. And btw scouts are really nice combat support once the continent is explored.

Top Bottom