Secrets to an easy Always War Sid victory

handy900

Deity
Want to win an Always War Sid level game? No problem, just follow a few secrets (okay - they are not really secrets, more like tips) set forth below and victory will be yours. This is not the only way to win, but it is a sure way to win. A warning though, if the thought of firing off 100+ artillery each turn late in the game is not your cup of tea, this is not the game for you. You’ll be bombing all game long, and it’s a long game.

To win, you must maximize pillaging, which makes Theodora and her Dromons the logical choice to exploit the AI weakness. As an example of the power of Dromons, you can read Mark 1031’s OCC AWS 20K win thread here. If Dromons are not your thing, review Arathorn’sAWS Iroquois win here.

Since I played as Theodora, this thread will mainly focus on a conquest AWS victory as the Beautiful Byzantines. You can read the entire thread of Theodora’s Excellent AWS Adventure here, or just skip to the strategy section below. If you think this sounds fun, avoid reading my game thread, load my 4000bc save at the end of chapter one and rock on, it’s definitely a winnable start. You can easily beat me by centuries if the thought of publicly humiliating me turns your crank. :D
:nuke:WarningTheodora’s AWS adventure is full of lousy and corny jokes :groucho: and is not suitable for those who have not entered fifth grade, or those who do not find fifth grade humor funny. Don't say I didn't warn you. :nono:

First let’s talk about some basics of Always War. The AI will not attack an army except for two situations. The first is a weak defensive (archer) army or a wounded army. For example, swords will attack an archer army and MI will attack a wounded musket army. The second situation is an army in a city on the AI’s homelands when the AI has no other target available. The AI will send swords against a musket army if the army is in a city and the AI has no other targets to attack. This is very important and must be avoided at the Sid level where a musket army can face a stack of 200 MI and swords. Even an army cannot withstand an assault like that.

While some may consider it “cheating” to use an archipelago map, winning an AWD game, much less AWS game on continents or pangaea is very hard. While at least one continent AWS win has been achieved, it is not easy and requires good play, RNG luck and a good map with access to iron and luxuries. Choosing an island map over continents gives the human a big edge.

Because the AI is loath to attack boats that are stacked, the Dromons can pillage and pillage and pillage some more and obliterate AI improvements. The AI will never set foot on your soil if they are sunk before they reach your homeland. This allows you to just build warriors for MP, and gather the necessary strength to attack the AI. You cannot allow the AI to reach your shores. While you can fortify units (like workers or warriors) all around the coastline until Marines (or Zerks) arrive, this is expensive and unnecessary. You can easily taunt the AI with open unguarded coastline and minimally protected cities. This creates a nice a kill zone on water for the overpowered Dromons.

Here are a few keys to lead you to victory by conquest or domination.

· Don’t play Pangaea!: Select a wet, warm, old island map with max water and hope you are alone and that you are surrounded by sea. If there is no coastal passage to your lands, you should be safe until Astronomy, because the AI fears the sea tiles until then. For extra protection, do not play against the Vikings. For even more protection, do not play against other seafaring Civs. Once the Lighthouse is built, keep a close eye on that civ as they can sail sea tiles.

· Being lonely is a good thing: Select a map where you are alone on an island with food, fresh water and luxuries. The most important resource you need is saltpeter. You can win without iron.

· Declare war early & often: Send out dinky little boats as soon as possible to meet the neighbors & get them in war mode. You also want to know if there is a coastal passage between you and the neighbors that you need to guard until Astronomy.

· Trade then declare: Trade with AI before you declare on them on the same turn. Try to trade up for map-making so you can build dromons. You should have some cash since you are at 10% or lone scientist research.

· Barbs are good: Farming barbs for cash is a nice way to supplement the old cash flow. I played sedentary and wished I had set them to roaming.

· Sea tiles are your helper : If there is a coastal passage to the Byzantine island, you are in deep water. Take control of these passages, you must rule the seas. The downside of no coastal passage is that luxuries and resources across the seas are not available until astronomy, so your cities will need temples.

· Build happy buildings: I did not build any other happy buildings besides temples in my AWS game, but with hindsight they are probably a good idea since it took a very long time to gain access to my third luxury.

· Currency Banking is good: I made the mistake of researching chem. before currency banking. The banks would have helped me turn research up to get cannon & cavalry faster. CurrencyBanking was the better play.

· Low research is good: Make no plans to move the research slider above 10% for most of the early game. One exception may be a speed research run burning lots of gold to get astronomy after the great library expires. One lone scientist with the slider at 0% is a good play most of the time. By the time you can build banks & universities and afford to turn up research, you should already have the game well under control.

· Build the Glib early: I rushed a temple and built the Glib in my third city, which was probably a little too early. I completed the Glib before any AI even learned Literature. But it’s better to be safe than sorry, because if you miss the Glib, you are doomed.

· Capture the Glib? Forget about it!: If you miss the Glib, you must capture the Glib. This will require a lot of luck and skill to pull off, but is theoretically possible. In order to capture the Glib, you must bait the AI away from the Glib city before you attack. Of course you’ll need an army to cover your Glib attack force, and that will be almost impossible to come by since you won’t have the Glib to get you the techs (pikes or gunpowder) you need to survive long enough to get an army. If you miss the Glib you are in deep trouble, so start it early and use the "improve tiles and join workers" trick.

· Build a gigantic navy and pillage: The Byzantine shipbuilders must build fire-spewing dromons by the dozens and pillage the AI coastal tiles to slow the tech pace. Dromons miss a lot when pillaging, so build a bunch. These flamethrowers must sink all AI ship traffic until the AI has a full complement of land units, at which point the AI will have no cash to support a decent navy. In the game I played, they just gave up on sending out boats except for a lone Roman galley near the end. Keep a few dromons close to home as a safety net.

· Build a ton of spears: Do not build horses. Knights are too expensive and you will need a lot of attackers. Build loads of cheap spears that you can later upgrade to muskets. You can build trebs and longbows after your initial assault, which should be on an ironless AI continent.

· Build cheap warriors for MP: you will be stuck with few luxuries until astronomy, regular warriors are cheap MP.

· The best early offense is a good defense: For the initial assault, plan to insert at least 30 muskets on your landing along with a settler and 2 workers or warriors. You will disband the worker/warrior to rush walls and a rax. Pillage the tiles around the tile you will land on to slow the AI counterattack. Settle on a hill for the defensive bonus. Disband a worker and cash rush walls after you settle. Then disband the second worker and cash rush a barracks. Consider turning off battle animation because the Sid AI IBT attack can last for several minutes if animated.

Someone forgot to bring along an extra unit to disband & rush the rax. 32 muskets for a civ with no iron may have been overkill, IIRC about 20 wound up living to fight another day after the large SODs has come and gone.

· The first AI victim must be ironless: The first AI you invade must be chosen with care to ensure you don’t get all your muskets killed, and that you get a quick leader. The Sids will send huge stacks against you, so the safest initial attack is on an AI continent that has no iron access and as has not learned invention so you will not face swords, MI or LB. I waited for muskets, and then landed on an AI continent where the muskets would only face archers and horsemen. This created a bunch of elites that then produced leaders on defense. Remember, these muskets were in a city on a hill with walls. The site of 20+ elite muskets created in a single turn along with a defensive leader was sweet. So, to increase your odds of success, your first target should be ironless and only be able to attack with horse or archer units. Move artillery and attack units under the army and attack the AI while your elite muskets continue to create leaders on defense in your initial walled city.

· Raze all AI cities, then settle: Do not build a city on an AI continent until after you have razed all the AI cities and eliminated the AI. The only exception is the initial landing where you drop a bunch of muskets and settle a lone city. As an experiment I reloaded a save after the game was over and landed on the rich French continent where giant stacks of MI, Acav and swords patrolled the lands. The French killed 40 muskets on a single turn that were in a city on a hill before the rushed walls became operational. It's a pain to hold cities.

· Hide under a musket army: You must respect the AI stacks and use appropriate tactics like hiding your attacking trebs and LB under a high defense army if you want to win.

· Astronomy is key: Get astronomy so you can transport musket armies loaded with only 2 muskets to the most powerful AI continents and pillage the tiles the dromons could not reach. If you try to insert a one-musket army and transport it by dromon, the one musket army insertion can be deadly, and success depends on pillaging and a favorable AI island shape. To succeed, you need to insert a one-musket army, avoid attack on the IBT, and add a second musket the next turn. Look for a mountain or jungle where you have pillaged the AI roads so knights cannot reach you on the IBT. Drop the one-musket army and the second musket in a safe area where no AI IBT attack can occur. If no safe landing area exists, wait patiently wait for the arrival of Caravels since the AI won’t attack a fully healed 2-musket army with MI or knights no matter where you land it. I’m not sure if cavalry will attack to a 2-musket army, and it’s best not to find out the hard way. Pillage the AI early and often to slow the tech pace and disconnect horses and saltpeter.

· Load armies with only two units: For the rest of the game (or until you get galleons) only place 2 units in armies so caravels can transport them from island to island. Armies with 2 LB or 2 knights are deadly even versus rifles when combined with enough rock throwers.

· Build lots of cities for unit support: Razed AI lands, as well as any crappy little islands should be populated by corrupt cities, which are placed on wealth (a few can build 30-turn settlers once you have good cash flow). You will need lots of cities or you will go broke from paying unit support. Since you control the seas, corrupt cities need no garrison. Don’t waste money on MP in corrupt cities. Use the unit support for your attack forces instead of MP in corrupt cities, the dromons can protect garrison free island towns. Dedicate one core city with extra food to building settlers for most of the game to populate these little islands. If you do not have saltpeter, you will need to find some on an island and transport spears there for an upgrade.

· Baiting the AI: [Pictures of the bait sequence are below.] When you go on offense, you will want to bait the AI to pull their huge stacks out of the cities, then you can quickly and effectively raze cities with artillery and the cheap LB you have been producing. Never build any MI or swords because they are too expensive and don’t upgrade until RP. The game should end in the middle ages unless perhaps you play a large or huge map. It’s okay to build some knights after you have a large LB stack since knights will eventually upgrade to cavalry. You should have loads of cash for upgrades because you are running a lone scientist for research and have dozens of corrupt island cities set to wealth. Techs are not really necessary after you get guns and astronomy. This is a long grinding game with an amazingly slow tech pace.

Create some space, stay there, and the AI will come running from their cities toward your lone uncovered unit. This picture was taken after the IBT. The wounded babe-knight was positioned so that the Sumerian Knights could not reach her on the IBT. She will move under the army on this turn for protection. Proper spacing is a must. Note Lagash is being starved down to size six by the dromons that occupy all it's workable sea tiles.

Raze the now lightly guarded cities and create more space. With the Sumerians watching from the mountain, and Lagash starved to pop 6, the city fell easily. Be sure you have a open escape route before you bait the AI, otherwise they will block your march.

Pull the AI further away from the remaining cities, then escape by boat. The Sumerians were content to guard the pillaged grass and plains while we razed their cities. Those are not single pikes you see, but rather stacks of Pike, MI and LB. The exploring babe will move onto a boat before the AI reaches her.

· Be extremely careful if you decide to capture and hold an AI city before you eliminate that AI: I advise against it because the AI gets a ton of free unit support. Even after you raze 66% of an AI Civ you will be amazed at the size of their remaining stacks. I recommend you raze all cities. If you covet a wonder like the Lighthouse, capture that city last to avoid flips and having to fight to hold the city. One exception may be capturing a city from an ironless AI, but still be careful. An ironless AI used horses and archers to kill 8 of 32 muskets in my initial assault city on a hill behind walls.

· Starve your enemy: Use dromons to bomb and to starve coastal cities to size 6 that you are attacking. This tactic also takes away AI commerce tiles when you park a dromon on the coast.

· Stack your boats: The AI will attack a lone dinky or dromon. Apparently they fear the sight of two currah's stacked. :rolleyes: Go figure.

· MM decently: You need to do at least a decent job of micro managing. I didn’t check each city each turn. I checked cities often in the early stages of the game, and hardly ever later. Map Stat makes watching for riots a lot easier. Anyone who MM’s every turn could load my save and finish several centuries earlier than me, so don’t let the MM scare you. I did do the obvious stuff like improving river tiles first; using chops wisely to avoid wasted shields; MM cities to get an efficient shield count like 10 shields per turn; building 20 shield cost units in 7spt cities to minimize wasted shields; stuff like that.

· Leader Farming: vmxa Suggests what I believe is an excellent tactic which I did not use in my game. Allow the AI to load their galleys and sail safely to a landmass of your choosing. Once they drop off units throw rocks and then kill them in the hopes of generating leaders. If too many boats for you to handle arrive simultaneously, just sink them before they can offload their units. Remember, Dromons have lethal bombard against other ships.

One last thing, build a lot of artillery. A few LB with lots of artillery are effective, but you must hide them under an army for protection.

That should be enough to get you going. Good luck! It’s actually pretty easy. :goodjob:

I enjoy reading those accoutns, but bombarment from arties or ships or even bombers if not for me. I just go with armies and little or no pillaging. Still tedious, but I do not have to suffer the tons of misses.

handy900 said:
You can do it. The hardest part is not getting bored before the game ends. :lol:
Oh, never mind, then, nyo. :p

Thanks Handy. I will be posting this to my SGOTM7 team!!!

BTW my girlfriend says I'm like her 6th graders so I qualify for Theo's great wits. :lol:

Whomp said:
Thanks Handy. I will be posting this to my SGOTM7 team!!!

Okay, but be aware that some of the bullet points are good for AW on any level (hide under armies), but some are only necessary for a Sid game (land 30 muskets in order to survive an archer rush). So just be aware of that.

BTW my girlfriend says I'm like her 6th graders so I qualify for Theo's great wits. :lol:

Yes, some stuff just never gets old. :D

Your advice to be careful with a defensive army put in a beachhead city is solid. Nothing more painful that watching the game put up one of your armies with 1 or 2 hp's left, while you have lots of other units watching.

After dozens of Sid games, I have a pretty good feel of how many armies of what type I need to withstand the assualt, but I still lose an army from time to time.

I like to play conquest and then I will get into late game using most of the units in the game. This means armies for offense. I will drop a stack under protection of armies and a settler. Found a town and rush a barracks, fort everyone and wait for them to kill themselves.

Use my offensive units to get leaders and more armies, safely. That is no unit left in the open after combat. I do not use any ruses to get them out of their cities, just use armies to kill them, until I capture or raze all.

I tend to raze at first, but since they have 10-15 cities, it is not long before I can hold them. This is because I will have scads of units in them anyway. They cut the roads for me, until they are down to the last defenders.

I just grind out one civ after another with better and better units and armies. It is not till Flight that is gets ugly.

You have inspired me to have a go, or at least to start :goodjob: :crazyeye: . All that bombarbment strikes me as tedious so I may not get very far though. Dromons seem to fail almost all the time. Always war isn't really my bag either, as I like trading/alliances etc.

It seems that most maps are hopeless as the islands connect too easily, and the AI are soon swarming all over you. Ainwood has clearly been messing with GOTM maps as this isn't what I am used to.

From my few goes at the start I think researching writing (50turns)-philosophy (max) then picking mapmaking as a free tech, then researching lit is a reasonable option, hoping to hand build both the Lighthouse and the Library. I aimed to buy pottery and masonry for gpt (which of course is never paid). Leaving sci leaders on gives a chance of a free wonder (sci leader) as you are likely to get all 4 of these techs first (I haven't picked AI who start with alphabet). I haven't played far but I think getting Leo's will also be very important. It is a little shocking how playing at Sid makes me a wonder-junkie.

From what you say it might be bad if the AI are together in a large island as they may build more boats.

It is very very hard to get both GL and GLH. The AI loves to get to MM and build the Lighthouse. I do not even attempt to build it, just the Lib. Taking the two best cities out for so long making a pre for a wonder is rough.

In fact I often do not have any pre to use as I do not have Masonry. I can still get the Lib with a 3 turn pre as the AI is tardy on getting to Lit, even if it is first to Philo.

vmxa said:
It is very very hard to get both GL and GLH. The AI loves to get to MM and build the Lighthouse. I do not even attempt to build it, just the Lib. Taking the two best cities out for so long making a pre for a wonder is rough.

In fact I often do not have any pre to use as I do not have Masonry. I can still get the Lib with a 3 turn pre as the AI is tardy on getting to Lit, even if it is first to Philo.

It is possible, as I have just built both in my latest attempt. I excluded civs who start with alphabet though, and did pre build quite aggressively for the Lighthouse (in my capital). The Library is fairly straight-forward. If you get a cow/river/5fpt (mapfinder) start and have a reasonable area for further cities, then at least the start is quite likely to work. Getting pottery and masonry is important, and has to be done via trades. It is possible that researching pottery yourself before writing is the way to go.

I got the impression from Handy's write-up that initial expansion can afford to be compromised in the pursuit of naval supremacy. After all, hopefully the AI can't reach your home island, giving you plenty of time to fill it up.

It does strike me there is still a large risk of playing for ages and then getting scuppered by bad luck: eg no sensible AI target, no saltpetre...

Offa said:
I got the impression from Handy's write-up that initial expansion can afford to be compromised in the pursuit of naval supremacy. After all, hopefully the AI can't reach your home island, giving you plenty of time to fill it up.

This was the case in my game. As it turns out there was no "safe" sea passage to Byzantium because I was surrounded by sea tiles. This protected me from the AI until I could build dromons to sink their exploring galleys. Building the Glib very early as I did may have helped because I got MM that much faster. This allowed me to sink galleys that probably were loaded with settlers that may have claimed some of the remote islands. Only 1 small island ever got settled by an AI. I was able to claim the rest.

It does strike me there is still a large risk of playing for ages and then getting scuppered by bad luck: eg no sensible AI target, no saltpetre...

I don't think there is too much risk of losing once you control the seas. I found remote islands that had SP and Iron. It would have been a pain to ship spears to the SP island to upgrade them, but it could have been done and the victory gained. The AI has no answer for the dromons, the pillaging and the bait & switch tactics.

If all the AI have iron, things will be a good bit harder I think. I'd land on a mountain and try to survive long enough to get a leader. If you can get 1 leader the game is over. The leader (army) allows you to pillage non-coastal tiles, cover artillery, and create space to implement the bait & switch tactics and get more leaders.

If you lose it will probably be because you either share an island with a civ, or there is an easy coastal crossing the AI can use. If the AI can attack your lands, you are in trouble. Beating a SID AI off your lands is possible in AW, but not easy. Since this is AW, it's a huge dogpile. For this reason regular size maps may actually be easier than tiny maps for this game. I'll have to try a tiny map to see if this is the case.

I may have gone a little overboard with the artillery, but I love artillery. :D

If you turn off battle animation and fire your artillery it goes alot faster. Then you can turn it back on for the battles if you care to.

With all that said, this may be better suited for an SG than a solo game because it does take a good bit of time. It's very doable though. :goodjob:

Offa, that is why I said very very hard, istead of impossible. I have done it twice, but I do not go for it any longer. Trading for anything is not a given, especially if you are not seafaring and do not manage any early suicide curraghs.

I often find that when I get contact, they have all my techs, except writing. I can't trade that, until I know Philo or someone else does.

handy900 said:
Want to win an Always War Sid level game? No problem, just follow a few secrets ................

SAW, It’s actually pretty easy. :goodjob:

:dubious: :shakehead :suicide:

vmxa said:
Offa, that is why I said very very hard, istead of impossible. I have done it twice, but I do not go for it any longer. Trading for anything is not a given, especially if you are not seafaring and do not manage any early suicide curraghs.

I often find that when I get contact, they have all my techs, except writing. I can't trade that, until I know Philo or someone else does.

This game isn't like GOTM in that I am prepared to give up and try another map if things don't go my way at the start, so on that basis the Lighthouse is worth the attempt. Overall a few "practice" attempts don't take too long. It is admittedly not that easy to build the Lighthouse, and with random AI opposition wouldn't seem likely. The late ancient era phase certainly seems much easier with the Lighthouse though. The Library is surprisingly easy to build.

Of course I didn't trade either alphabet or writing. I just straight out bought pottery and masonry, for gpt (obviously not paid as I declared war). As it is an always war game, my reputation shouldn't matter too much.

The tactics in this game are obviously pretty specific to the Byzantines, but that is fine. I used very very different tactics in sid tiny maps as the Aztecs, and those were fun too, but pretty frustrating as a little bad PRNG luck could scupper things.

Sorry I was coming from the no restart perspective. I just play it out till I win or lose. I also will seldom be seafaring, I don't care for this trait, even on an island map.

vmxa said:
Sorry I was coming from the no restart perspective. I just play it out till I win or lose. I also will seldom be seafaring, I don't care for this trait, even on an island map.

@vmxa,I am very impressed that you play out all Sid games until the end. What proportion do you win? For myself, I play very few solo games, and as you can see I take a very relaxed attitude to restarting (with a new map of course). It makes a relaxing change from GOTM, and really the opening is the most interesting part of the game.

@Handy, reading your log, your dromons must have been on steroids compared with my lot. They seem almost completely useless at pillage to me, but are effective at killing AI ships, of which there have been loads. I am up to 330 AD, (my army: ~25 dromons, ~ 3 pikemen and a few ancient cav). I am starting to worry that my eventual intended first target (Egpyt) won't work as Cleo has so many troops that there will be nowhere to land. It is already very hard to find any free tiles to bombard.

I see you built a military up quite early on: why was this? I have rather neglected my military as I was so keen to build lots of dromons and rather thought I could build troops later. Some more MPs would be nice though.

In addition I have only 4 AI in my game, which I suspect was an error, as the AI civs are all quite strong (apart from the Japs, who have almost been destroyed by the babs).

Offa said:
@Handy, reading your log, your dromons must have been on steroids compared with my lot. They seem almost completely useless at pillage to me, but are effective at killing AI ships, of which there have been loads. I am up to 330 AD, (my army: ~25 dromons, ~ 3 pikemen and a few ancient cav). I am starting to worry that my eventual intended first target (Egpyt) won't work as Cleo has so many troops that there will be nowhere to land. It is already very hard to find any free tiles to bombard.

They do miss alot, but eventually they will get a hit. Once you pillage a tile the AI cannot repair it as fast you can pillage it again since they don't have enough workers. Sumer never even tried to repair a tile. Keep firing. :D
They quit building boats once they reach their unit support level. And their economy crashes from all the unit support they pay. That is why it is imprtant to pin them down. If they sneak out an settle a new city they get a bunch more free unit support. IIRC it's something like 24 free units. Maybe a lurker knows the SID free support #. :)

I see you built a military up quite early on: why was this? I have rather neglected my military as I was so keen to build lots of dromons and rather thought I could build troops later. Some more MPs would be nice though.

All of the warriors were for MP. Most were regulars and never saw battle. The spears I built were for a massive musket upgrade which I did the turn I learned GP. Remember to build alot of cities because once you revolt to Monarchy you only get 2 free units for every town and 4 free for size 7+ cities. Despots get 4 per town, so MP get expensive. Only place MP in productive cities.
Eventually I got 2 15spt cities which built artillery almost all game long.

In addition I have only 4 AI in my game, which I suspect was an error, as the AI civs are all quite strong (apart from the Japs, who have almost been destroyed by the babs).
They will always be strong to you. At one point I had razed all Cleo's cities and she only had 3 settlers keeping her alive. She STILL had big stacks (I need to check the save to see if the advisor rated her strong even with zero cities). I don't know how the AI gets free unit support with no cities. I guess they count a settler as a city.

Don't worry about checking F3 for strength. Just raze.

Is there a civ with no iron? If so, that is where to land on a hill with muskets. I landed with 32 and IIRC 24 or 22 survived against archers and horsemen. Once you get a leader (don't worry, you'll get one on defense) you have it made.

Are Babs & Japs on the same island? AFAIK the AI in my game never set foot on each others shores.

...and really the opening is the most interesting part of the game.
I agree! That's why I like tiny maps I guess.

Offa I do not want to do so much thread jack. Sorry Handy.

But I never win on pangea, but I have not tried many. I can do contients about 1 in 4, so far.

Islands are much higher, all you need is a fair start and not too large of an island. The key is to remember you can grind them down if you stay tough. I fear a xeno neighbor and a really large island ( too many civs will settle).

I am sure many can do better. I do play other levels when I get a game from one of the forums or a friend.

Top Bottom