Semi Permanent World Congress Resolutions

Bromar1

King
A lot of the WC resolutions right now are permanent after a single vote, which I don't find to be very realistic. Things like sanctions etc. are good to have but when they become permanent, it really hinders the flow of the game.

My suggestion would be to have a follow up vote after 2 or 3 WC meetings. For example, if Travel Ban goes into effect, it would be around for the next 3 WC meetings. After the third meeting, there would be a special session to decide to maintain or repeal the resolution. If it is maintained, then it is permanent for the rest of the game. Otherwise, it is repealed.

My main motivation for this is that WC is way too pro-active and not reactive enough. If a Civ gets hit with sanctions, they have to scramble to get their economy back up and even then will almost never have enough votes to be able to make a proposal to the WC. If you survive the sanction and manage to build your army back up, there is still not much you can do. You can't threaten to go to war to have sanctions lifted. There is no peace deal option to force the other civ to propose repealing the sanctions. There's also no way to make a deal with a friendly civ to have them propose repealing the sanctions.

The root of the problem is being able to even propose resolutions. If you are able to make proposals, then you are in the top 3 for number of votes and are unlikely to get hit with sanctions. If you do get hit with sanctions, it's probably because you are not in the top 3 and you'll have a hell of a time trying to get sanctions repealed to be even proposed at all. Having a special session circumvents that issue and gives you a shot at removing sanctions without having to get into the top 3.

This is primarily aimed at Sanctions but I think things like Global Peace accords, Cassus belli, City State Sanctions, Travel Ban and Passport systems are good candidates as well.

Having them automatically repealed the next WC unless someone brings up the vote could work, but would take some pretty large reteaching of the AI I imagine. (Because bringing up the repeal vote would actually mean you SUPPORT it rather than you don't as it stands now)

The current way the WC runs is pretty realistic to how the current UN works though, a hand full of nations have total control of it with the rest of the world basically just along for the ride. The difference is with Civ's version you actually have votes passed without rival nations automatically vetoing each other....

I didn't have the same experience as the OP :
Given that there are 3 proposals each council, I've seen civs repeal their "sanction" (as early as the council after being sanctioned) because there was another proposal where everybody wanted to vote (once global war, another time a world project, at least).

And once the ideologies are chosen for most of the civs, the alliances move a bit, and more previous sanctions get repealed thanks to the new "blocs".

It was quite dynamic in my last game (the AI sanctioned me even though I was second in votes, and I could repeal it only because I bought a dozen of votes).

The root of the problem is being able to even propose resolutions. If you are able to make proposals, then you are in the top 3 for number of votes and are unlikely to get hit with sanctions. If you do get hit with sanctions, it's probably because you are not in the top 3 and you'll have a hell of a time trying to get sanctions repealed to be even proposed at all.

That's what my World Congress Reformation mod does. It makes city-states into actual former nations rather than having them count more than actual nations and instead it raises the voting power of the Civilization depending on their population and also makes sure that maintaining diplomatic relations with your fellow friends is an incentive because Choosing Host is no longer picked upon choosing different eras, but rather allowed to be picked directly off the panel, so even the littlest can be host if they have the moneyfriends.

Top Bottom