Seq vs. Sim and Tech trading on vs. off

Options?

• Total voters
Forget this poll there is a design flaw.

Simultaneous turns for the pace of progression and tech trade in order to have anything to do in terms of diplomacy. This could still be regulated to strictly tech for tech trade, and no subsidization or other gamey behavior.

Simultaneous turns will pretty much prevent any hiding of techs or demographics, which some teams seemed to have an issue with from the last game.

Wow, the two options I voted for are actually winning. That's unusual. :)

If there is simul, I will participate in the first team then, because you can save and open later with your pw and see the differences. But perhaps I don't know it.
Is this an unfair play? What do you think?

If there is simul, I will participate in the first team then, because you can save and open later with your pw and see the differences. But perhaps I don't know it.
Is this an unfair play? What do you think?
I think it's dangerous because you may accidentally (or not-so-accidentally) play turn or two ahead in the save to see what happens. Even within the same turn, you can move units around and perhaps reveal things in the fog that you would not otherwise have seen. It seems very risky to me, although it sounds like you play like this regularly.

By the way, there is no reason why this is limited to the first team. Even in simultaneous play, there are ways for other teams to load up their save. I guess if we're worried about the first team being the only ones to do this and potentially gain an advantage, the method for any team loading their own save might need to be made public.

All in all I don't like it though, and feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea.

Wait are you saying that on simultaneous turns you can play ahead to reveal the map/ unit /resource locations etc.

Can you not do this on Sequential turns? Or is it just a matter of whether you play pitboss or what? :confused: I thought both games would be played through pitboss... What am I missing?

Wait are you saying that on simultaneous turns you can play ahead to reveal the map/ unit /resource locations etc.

Can you not do this on Sequential turns? Or is it just a matter of whether you play pitboss or what? :confused: I thought both games would be played through pitboss... What am I missing?
You can do it on any form of gameplay, sequential or simultaneous. I was replying to the second part of HUSch's post. My personal view is that a simultaneous turns game would definitely be preferable to keep the speed and the interest up. :)

SW, if you play a PB test it.
You can save and open in hotseat. There you must give the pw of the player who is first (in simul),
in sequence you must give the pw of the player which is on turn (that is in simul the first).
I don't know if you can play more than your next turn in simul. If you can there is no possibility for fair play. I think you need in hotseat every players pw, but I don't know.

In sequence you need after your turn the pw of the next. After ending the DG I 've played with all pws to see where the res are. I haved post the endsave.

Lp
you need in simul to open the save the pw of the first player, it's allways his turn.

Do you mean "no tech brokering"?

I think having that option selected takes away a strategy of a team playing the tech middleman. I see anything that reduces the strategic options available as a bad idea.

Yeah, and it also lessens the fun of the risk in diplomacy. To me it's more fun if you have to trust that a team will not betray you in passing your tech on to someone else. With no tech brokering it's basically enforcing a game mechanic to prevent any possibility for tech betrayals, so there's essentially no risk in trading stuff to anyone. That takes away from the excitement of the game, IMHO.

So, the poll shows that "simultaneous turns" and "tech trading on" are both winning by a considerable margin. Given that this has been open for a week, should we consider this finished now, and move on to discuss the next settings?

Personally from playing civ rev a bunch before getting into cIV i would go against simultaneous turns. It may be different because of a 24hr turn period vs a couple of min but there can be issues where both people move at the same time but one gets to move fist then the other attacks them even though they probably wouldnt want to attack someone on a forested tree hill. :badcomp: Also people often wait til the very end of turns to move their boats and drop them off next to the city and attack at the very begining of the next turn. leaving out any hey a bung of tanks landed next to my city should i send defenses there decision making.

Top Bottom