Serps Multiplayer Modpack Improved Gameplay

Hi, This modpack look very good.
I tried it, but I get some issues.
- I can't add new civs mods. I tried to use JFD ones but it don't show into the mod screen.
- There is graphical glitchs. Something work wrong about interface. Example : a bison resource is a black square instead. Or there is a black panel near information when looking popup info of a building.
- Sadly, there is no "2 units per tiles". I tried to copy this mod folder into your mods folder, but it don't work. I really can't play without that. Maybe it could work if I load this mod normaly (i didnt tried), but I fear to loose the good UI about managing easely the 2 units/tiles.

Yes, I added it as DLC, in the folder game.
Maybe it's another problem, cache or conflict with another mod. I will try a clean install and look at it again.
Do you know how I could use "2 units per tiles" with the UI, and your modpack ?

Hi, after a clean install, and using your modpack and only that (no other DLC pack, and no other mod) : It work !!
For now, the game is very nice. I play emperor difficulty. I find AI very aggressive on colonization.
I tweaked a little the game speed file (build -20% time and science +20% time), and playing with Epic speed.
There is something new I didnt see in other modpack I played : upgrade building. For now I don't use it as I have no gold and no happyness.
Something really miss me : 2 units per tiles. I don't know how to put it into the DLC pack without making troubles.

Damn, even not knowing how to mod, I finaly succeded to incorpore this 2 units per tile WITH the UI.
I put in the mod in the mod directory, as I see you first define just folders path in the main file. And the mod file define the path to the xml file, so it's ok.
Also, I added a line in a file CIV5Units.xml of the overide folder, as I saw it's done in the superpower pack using also the VMC dll.
Code:
        <Row>
            <Name>PLOT_UNIT_LIMIT</Name>
            <Value>2</Value>
        </Row>
I don't know why it have to be done, but I remember not done that last time I tried this "2 units" to work well.
And now, I can see icons when stacking units, all work perfectly.
I ended to get a nervous breakdown each time I play with the single unit per tile way. I really can't play without that.

Hi,
I'm here to give my impression on the modpack.
It is almost perfect (once you can use 2 units per tile, of course).
I was able to play a game that goes all the way to the late game (epic speed or marathon, I don't remember).
However, there are two things that could be improved.
- Coastal cities: the resources provided by the ocean are as poor as those of the vanilla game. It would require a mod that would improve that a little.
- Late game: the technologies and especially the buildings and units of the latest game technologies are as poor as on the vanilla game. Again, this would require making the game more interesting. Add a mod giving more possibilities.

There are some really cool modified mods by @Serp. This one in particular, (BNW) Leugi's Barbarian Inmersion Enhancements. Is this compatible with Vox Populi?
It works fine. I've used Serp's mod beofre

Edit: It works fine with Vox Populi but I haven't tested it on the latest VP.

How do I modify it to use only the portion that changes the barbarian names with each era?
hm? You do not want anything from this mod, except changing barbarian names? So also no promotions and nothing from it?
If so, only look at the BarbarianEraScripts.lua and for the keyword "settings_BarbarianNames == 1". You also need the SaveUtilis to save the current average era. And of course the text reffering to those names in TextUpdates.xml.

But I guess it would be better to simply use the settings file and disable everything except the names and do not mess with the rest. Although in EraPromotions.xml are changes like barbarian camp distance and stuff like that, you could remove/empty this file, since this is not covered in settings.

To sum it up, if you don't know what you are doing and have no knowledge about modding, it is likey that you delete some refrences and causing the mod to crash.

Looks like this mod doesn't work properly with DirectX/11.
Cannot choose city production as all... looks very interesting.

Using Direct 9 game looks really bad so don't really want use it.

Looks like this mod doesn't work properly with DirectX/11.
Cannot choose city production as all... looks very interesting.
Using Direct 9 game looks really bad so don't really want use it.
Are you sure it works with DirectX9? Can't imagine any reason why directX should change anything. You have to make sure that no other modpacks are within your civilization folder and no other mods are loaded somehow.

Yes opening game with DirectX9 is playable but graphics look really bad.
If I open the saved from DirectX9 and open game in DX10/11 I cannot choose any city production.
Very weird.

Here pics of the same game one with DirectX 9 and other using DirectX 10/11.

Attachments

• Civ5_DX9_city_Build.PNG
    Civ5_DX9_city_Build.PNG
    392.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Civ5_DX10_11_city_Build.PNG
    Civ5_DX10_11_city_Build.PNG
    309.5 KB · Views: 216
Was wondering if the MP trade issue caused by whowards dll was ever fixed?
I "fixed" it by competely disabling the "Active Multiplayer AI" part in whowards DLL. There is a part that is active even without a minimod to activate it. And this part was causing the issue.

(edit: just saw whoward already linked youto my post regarding this issue : https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/dll-various-mod-components.479600/page-98#post-15733630 )

But this is a change in the DLL and I did not publish "my" DLL yet (which is based on whowards and also merged few stuff from CP DLL and more bugfixes).
The major reason why I did not publish this DLL (and a modpack v20) is because for whatever reason this DLL seems to cause disconnects in multiplayer. And I don't find the reason why this happens (it is very hard/impossoble to savely reproduce). I'm not even sure if this was caused by my changes, or if whworads DLL v94 is causing it...

Maybe I publish v20 within the next days, which will include this new DLL, and mark it as "unstable" or so, so others may be able find a way to reproduce the problem...

edit:
I need to publish "my own" DLL, because whoward is not interested in fixing any multiplayer related bugs (see his thread)

Last edited:
In case anyone is still interested, here is my beta release for Modpack v20 beta (contains EUI 1.29a with several small adjustments).

It includes a DLL (based on whowards v94) which also includes several bugfixes, especially for multiplayer, and few stuff from Community Patch and other works.
https://github.com/Serpens66/DLL-VMC-master_Serp/blob/main/README.md<
My new DLL is mandatory for a handful mods in this modpack, also mods that did not require it in v19b, so they won't work without it. (see files and search for "dll" keyword, I usually always left a note either in modinfo or in lua or in xml...)

Why is it beta?
(Because there may still be bugs)
Because half a year ago, when I wanted to release it, I got random disconnects in multiplayer and I wasn't able to find out what was causing them (there was a game freeze for the disconnecting player). I think it was my "SharedVision" mod, that is why it is not included in this beta. But I'm not 100% sure, so please report back if you have issues and also send me your CustomMods.log (enable logging in "..\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5" config.ini file).
(if you have knowledge about DLL to lua events causing a freeze (eg because of the Lock), please write me here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/efficient-use-of-saveutilis.668750/#post-16062487 )

Download beta5:
( WIP , write me PM if you want to speed up the progress, so I know there is still interest in the modpack)

Changelog from v20 beta versions:
from beta1 to beta2:
- fixed "move_to" command in EUI not ending, after moving the unit.
- enabled CustomMods.log for events.
beta2 to beta3:
- fixed being stuck in religion founding screen, if someone has the same panthon like any other.
- english localization fixed
- reduced units in city limit from 3 to 2.
- unpause the game after every multiplayer load (in case it was saved while paused, because someone disconnected)
- added beliefs culture/faith/science back for tundra/forest/jungle, while for jungle/forest it is only for unimproved tiles.
beta3 to beta4:
- made explorer-trait ruin bonus also work for shoshones
- improved the AI religion founding code (2 times faster)
- disabled EVENTS_PLOT (because it send by far too much events, possibly causing problems and disabling it again speeds up AI religion founding and more) and added instead improvement rules RequiresHills and RequiresAdjacentCity to DLL.
- disabled EVENTS_PLAYER_TURN, cause this also might cause problems. And removed Visible TradeUnits mod. (the theory is, that any event which is too close to an autosave, can cause freeze/corupted saves https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/efficient-use-of-saveutilis.668750/#post-16062487 )
- disabled EVENTS_UNIT_UPGRADES and added code for my level promotions mod into DLL instead of lua.
- cache CityBombardRange instead of calling it thousand times.
- EUI: end city attack mode, if clicked on a plot without a target. and made compatible with bombard range mod.
- replaced "No Auto_Map" with "No Map" goodyhut mod. Also disabled the event GoodyHutCanNotReceive in DLL. Added some custom goody rewards, all techs can be found in goody huts.
- removed XP for scouting, because of too heavy events. instead all goodyhuts will give 10 experience.
- made barbs not spawn obsolete units

Known bugs of beta4:
- some beliefs give yields they should not
- in last era, no barbarian units will spawn, because they have none that is not obsolete. Will give them every kind of unit in beta5.
- shoshones again desync when collecting goody huts ... wtf ?!

--------------------------------------

I will fill the list what it contains within the next days (or after it is no longer beta.. not yet complete):

Most Relevant DLL fixes:
- fixed workers stop working after removing a feature
- fixed shoshone desync in multiplayer
- fixed crash if founded pantheon without captial
- disabled "MOD_AI_MP_DIPLOMACY" which makes human to human trades working fine again.
- fixes incoorperated from other mods (CP or AUI (Artificial Unintelligence):
- AI Multiplayer double turn --> when loading a savegame in multipayer, the AI no longer gets a double turn. And no longer a human is not able to move units.
- Iroquois trait is now working correctly (connect with road tiles)

New DLL features:
- when a human player looses connection, the game is paused, instead of a computer is taking control. The player can then simply hotjoin (eg via steam).

Adjustments to the included EUI 1.29a:

• removed many files in FrontEnd folder, so menus will be unchanged (not worth the risk of bugs)
  • ActionInfoPanel: Disabled notification of new plot/ciziten in cities. Compatible to UI-City Expansion.
  • CityStateDiploPopup.lua: compatible to City States gifts and added info about protecting players in the popup.
  • CityView.lua: Costs are always absolut (no cost-cash). compatible to UI City Expansion mod.
  • InGame.lua: No permanent movement/range highlighting, instead only while holding right mouse button, or while in "move_to" mode. In attack mode, clicking on an empty plot, will end it.
  • InfoTooltipInclude.lua: compatible to random traits mod.
  • UnitFlagManager.lua: Alawys show promotions in flag of all players (not only if in war). And show a description of the promotion when hovering over it.
  • TradeLogic.lua deleted. Useing the one in AI Display Values mod instead.
  • DiploTrade.lua/SimpleDiploTrade.lua : without TradeLogic.lua rom EUI, these will hide all ressources in trade menu, so I disabled that line.
  • CivilopediaScreen.lua: do not show "dummy" traits in civilopedia.
  • fixed "move_to" command in EUI not ending, after moving the unit.
  • end city attack mode, if clicked on a plot without a target. and made compatible with bombard range mod.
  • "fixed" truncated string for some process in city screen for languages using a dot to display high numbers. (also fixed in 1.29b)
  • added to plot tooltip information from where the current yields are (beta5 and higher)

Removed mods: (you can add them again if you want, but make sure to also add xml changes into Overrides Civ5Units.xml)
  • Fortress Borders - Outposts (v 7)
  • Global - Local Generals (v 2)
  • Improvement - Airbases (v 14)
  • MP Fix - Goody Hut Bonus (v 2) (not needed anymore, since shoshoes are working now)
  • Reforestation (v 8)
  • Brazilwood, Kasbah, Polder Extension
  • UI - City Expansion (v 14) (will be added later when added to DLL)
  • Units - Mech Infantry (v 9)
  • Units - Population (v 71)
  • Units - Prospectors (v 7)
  • Buildings - Upgrade System (v 12)
  • Visible Trade Units
  • Scouting XP
  • AI Smart
Changed mods (compared to v19b):
  • Convenient start (v 3)
    added code in lua, that will every human player meet each other human at game start (without showing their position), so you can make deals right from the start, if you want.
  • Global - City States Gifts (v 5) (DLL)
    Not only the leader of the team gets chance of a gifted unit/food at first met, but all members get it/have a chance to get the unit.
  • Improvement Upgrades (v 3)
    significantly nerfed the boni of new improvements. Tried to make it still worth building them, but only increasing the yield by +1. Suburbs now cost gold to build (25, scaling with difficulty and gamespeed, unfortunately the game does not display the value in tooltip)
  • Wonder Race (v 1)
    completely rewritten code which only does, what I want, so displaying if anyone else is building the wonder. No expensive code needed to see who is wining or other stuff. Will send a notfication every single turn as long at least one other is building the same wonder.
  • Units - Visible Trade Units (v 1) and Tech - Satellites Reveal Cities (v 9)
    made multiplayer compatible (original code might cause desyncs)
  • FlagPromotions ModSupport without UnitFlagManger (v 5)
    does only include icons now. the promotinos are added via EUI 1.29a to the flags.
New mods:
  • Abundant Strategic Res Bonus (v 2) (DLL)
    Having more than double of the needed startegic ressources for your units, will give them a combat bonus.
  • Any Pantheon (v 1)
    You can choose pantheons even if someone else chosen the same before (is currently required to fix a problem in simultanous turns, when more player pick the same in same turn, they can't continue the game when founding a religion. Is caused by a DLL change from me)
  • Artificial Unintelligence Lite (v 9)
    some xml changes to hoepfully make the AI better without needing too many cheats. Therefore I reduced the handicap based on difficulty setting for the AI. I hope the AI is not too weak now, we will see.
  • New Wonders:
    Banaue Rice Terraces Wonder (v 2), Buda Castle Wonder (v 1), National Wonders - Biosphere (v 5), National Wonders - Internal Revenue Service (v 1)
  • Display AI Deal Value (v 1) (DLL)
    Will show you in the tradescreen with AI how they value the current deal. If negative, they will refuse, if positive or acceptable, they will accept. Makes it easier to find out how much you need to offer.
  • Faster Animations (v 1)
    replaces "faster aircraft animations". It includes faster aircrafts, but also fastens other units movement animations. This way you can still see the nice animations, but it is 2 times faster. Unfortunately I was not able to speed up combat animations.
  • More Gamespeeds (v 1)
    Adds new gamespeed settings: "Standard with Epic research times" and "Epic with Marathon research times". Wealth and Research city projects are researched at mining/writing (converts 35% of production). Increase the science bonus for techs that are already researched by other civs from up to 30 to up to 40%. If the stockpile process mod ist active, 95% (instead 80) is converted and up to 60 (instead of 30) production can be saved.
  • Random Traits Plus (v 1)
    Every Civ gets 2 randomly choosen characteristics attached at game start. These 16 different traits are characteristics like Agressive, Diplomatic, Expansive, Mercantile..., which will provide different boni. You will get a new button on the top right, which will explain the traits. Idea from "Civ IV Leader Traits in Civ V" mod from Wes.
  • StratBuildRemove (v 1)
    This mod will remove building requiring a startegic ressource you do not have anymore. As soon as you have it again, you can build the building for no production again.
  • UnboundPolicies (v 1)
    Policies are no longer dependant on a previous policy (except for the opener).
  • Unique Policy Buildings (v 4)
    Every policy will unlock a new building with nice boni you can build in any city, if you have enough strategic resources. Currently it costs 1 iron each, but the plan is to add a new strategic ressource for them in the future.

Last edited:
In case anyone is still interested, here is my beta release for Modpack v20 beta (contains EUI 1.29a with several small adjustments).

It includes a DLL (based on whowards v94) which also includes several bugfixes, especially for multiplayer, and few stuff from Community Patch and other works.

Why is it beta?
Because half a year ago, when I wanted to release it, I got random disconnects in multiplayer and I wasn't able to find out what was causing them (there was a game freeze for the disconnecting player). I think it was my "SharedVision" mod, that is why it is not included in this beta. But I'm not 100% sure, so please report back if you have issues and also send me your CustomMods.log (enable logging in "..\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5" config.ini file).
(if you have knowledge about DLL to lua events causing a freeze (eg because of the Lock), please write me here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/efficient-use-of-saveutilis.668750/#post-16062487 )

Download:
https://mega.nz/file/89xXjKCC#H1WgGBZFfGcoLgQGPb6ycKyhmf5eBWX_uVoAVr86V5w

I will fill the list what it contains within the next days (or after it is no longer beta):

Most Relevant DLL fixes:
- fixed workers stop working after removing a feature
- fixed shoshone desync in multiplayer
- fixed crash if founded pantheon without captial
- disabled "MOD_AI_MP_DIPLOMACY" which makes human to human trades working fine again.
- fixes incoorperated from other mods (CP or AUI (Artificial Unintelligence):
- AI Multiplayer double turn --> when loading a savegame in multipayer, the AI no longer gets a double turn. And no longer a human is not able to move units.
- Iroquois trait is now working correctly (connect with road tiles)

New DLL features:
- when a human player looses connection, the game is paused, instead of a computer is taking control. The player can then simply hotjoin (eg via steam).

Removed mods:
Changed mods:
New mods:
Looks like some AMAZING work! I was wondering if you could share some insight into how you modified the DLL to fix the multiplayer trade issue, and to prevent AI from taking control if someone gets disconnected.

Looks like some AMAZING work! I was wondering if you could share some insight into how you modified the DLL to fix the multiplayer trade issue, and to prevent AI from taking control if someone gets disconnected.

I uploaded the code to github with a short explanation:
https://github.com/Serpens66/DLL-VMC-master_Serp/blob/main/README.md

Some comments in the code may be german. If you think they are important and google translate does not help, you can ask me.

Regarding your specific questions:
Trade issue: As written above, I simply outcommented the define of "MOD_AI_MP_DIPLOMACY", which reverses some of that code changes. If you want you can search for this and find out which part of code exactly is the problem, but since this MOD_AI_MP_DIPLOMACY mod is not working in whowards DLL anyway (it works in community patch), it is no lost at all to disable it completely.
Pause on disconect: Search for "MOD_AUI_GAME_AUTOPAUSE_ON_ACTIVE_DISCONNECT_IF_NOT_SEQUENTIAL"

In case you are not aware:
Most mods of whoward have 2 instances of "enabling/disabling". On the one hand you have the minimods with an xml entry to set a value to true/false (1/0). On the other hand you have those defines in the DLL. And most of the code changes in the DLL are started with "#if defined(MOD_XYZ)". This means, if you outcomment the define within "CustomMods.h" file, you disable all changes made by this. And sometimes, not always, there is also the minimod check "if (MOD_XYZ)" to enable/disable code.
In case of the MOD_AI_MP_DIPLOMACY, the define alone did changes to the DLL, although the minimod was not active.

Last edited:
@Lt_Karan let me know when you can help to improve sth.
(beta1/beta2) For example I just noticed that when you save the game, while it is paused (because somone disconnected) and you do not wait for him to reconnect and instead load this savegame, the game will not unpause... and right now I don't know where I should put unpause code to fix this...

I got this code from this one and slightly adjusted it:
https://github.com/gskleres/nqmod-vs2008

Last edited:
Top Bottom