SevoMod 3

Sevo,
I know this has probably been covered earlier in the posts, but what is the name of the opening theme music you used in 3.2?

Strange CTD

It has happened twice in the same game. When I use a stack of knights (once 3, then 2) to attack a city, I hear the sound telling me what happened -- some die, some win -- but the graphics freeze, and there is no way out of it except by a 3-finger salute.
Any idea?

Lu

Nobody else thinks about the speed of the game, that jump from 490(or was it 20?) for 900 is a lot? i mean, I find the normal speed of the game too fast, but Im always stopping before the time when it comes to a 900 turns game..Cant you put a speed for 600 turns? I guess I saw it in a mod, if Im not wrong Composite XL mod, or perhaps Amra or perhaps that speed is norrmal in vanilla, but i dont play vanilla at all lol...I would love it :)

Anyway keep the great work!!

hey guy's

I've finaly registered after lurking on these fora for months, just to say:

thanks Sevo (and all other devs)

greets and keep up the good work !

Ps.: being a little presumptious; i'd say go revolution mod; no go for 3 square cities

I'm really excited about playing this. However, I just purchase Warlords and wonder if this is compatible with Warlords.

Is it?

Hope.a...hope.a.... hope.a....

Keith

keithsed said:
I'm really excited about playing this. However, I just purchase Warlords and wonder if this is compatible with Warlords.

Is it?

Hope.a...hope.a.... hope.a....

Keith

No. He will(if not already did) start to work on the convertion really soon.

Ps: Sevo, why just you dont put a big 'no warlords compatible' yet in the front page? Kinda annoying so many people asking it(I was one of them eh) :p

Laurier
that's an optional additional mod, and it isn't compatible with the current build of sevomod. Plus, it has other stuff you may or may not want.

Sevo
So, I was just thinking about some tihngs, and as I mulled it over, I had a (I think) new idea. I was contemplating the three radius cities over 2, and reading about someone suggestions about bringing back the old caravan unit, and something occured to me. This is a rather radical change from the way civ has played in the past, but stick with me here, as it resolves some things in civ that have bothered me for a *very* long time.

What if instead of having the harvestable region around a city be 2 or 3 squares out, having it be much *much* further, say 20 or 30 squares out. In essence, most stuff inside your cultural borders (I'd say allow anything inside your borders, but there would probably be GUI constraints.)

This allows for cities to haverst much more realistically, and allows the player much more focus in where they want the resources to go. For a real world analogy, look at the eastern seaboard. All major cities have to import almost everything they use, there is almost *no* food grown around them, for example. And most industrial resources are harvested far away from them and then shipped to manufacturing centers. This would allow your major core cities to make use of new raw resources on the borders of your empire, and make those unproductive resource cities in the mountains or desert more relevent, as they can "ship in" food and other cities can "ship out" the raw materials. For another example, look at say kuwait or some of the emirate states, they are large, wealthy cities, but totally uninhabitable without massive imports paid for by valuable mineral wealth (in this case, oil)

Also, this would allow for more realistic city placements, again, look at the eastern seaboard, New York, Boston, Washington, Philly, all are very close to each other, in civ terms, probably within 2 squares of each other, in civ, they would all be very small, poor cities, but in the real world, it's one of the most heavily populated and productive regions on the planet. This allows a player to place cities with more stragetical and political things in mind than resource production, and allows for much more realistic placements.

Now, with how you have the mod currently set, this would allow for monstrous, (very unrealistic) mega-cities, quite early on. However, if you you were to impliment some controls to this, I think you could find it quite workable.

First off, the revolution mod is, I think, critical to this working. With that mod it becomes crucially important to manage the health and happiness of your cities, and you must carefully gauge your expansion and growth in city size, or face a rebellion or even revolution, this means you can't grow very large cities until very late in the game, and even then only with a fair amount of investment in infstructure.

A few other changes to consider:

-Change the city placement operations for the AI, so they place cities with the new mod in mind.

-Perhaps change the way harvesting works, have say farmers and miners, so you could have building that would increase a cities ability to use miniral wealth, but not to grow more, or vice versa.

-Allow increases in the harvestable radius with tech upgrades, specifically transport related upgrades (with road you go from 2 to 5, railroad goes from 10-20, refigeration adds +5, etc...).

-Defenitely change the coding around border expansion over oceans so that the border will only extend a certain distance, and not expand more than a few tiles out.

-Something to perhaps address might be blocades and just exactly where cities can harvest. Perhaps have each city able to harvest the resources within the normal radius as normal, and only have the increased resources avalaible if they are connected by the trade network. This makes naval blockades and pillaging much more interesting, as it allows for more than just stragetic resources and one city to be impacted, but can effect your whole empire, down to the production in your core cities (disrupting the imports). This also makes rivers much more relevant to placement, as a city on a river would have access to much more in the way of raw resources (also more historically realistic, IMO)

I think if properly executed this coul be a simply incredible mod, but there is much work that would need to be done to get it to that point.

To start, I think it needs much discussion and evaluation, so, what does everyone think?

Arlborn said:
No. He will(if not already did) start to work on the convertion really soon.

Ps: Sevo, why just you dont put a big 'no warlords compatible' yet in the front page? Kinda annoying so many people asking it(I was one of them eh) :p

I was just thinking maybe the mods section should be subdivided into vanilla/warlords?

Mmmm vanilla... rum 'n' raisin.... icecream hungerrrr!:p

minditime said:
First time poster, long time sevomod user. First of all much thanks for putting this together, I am a big fan. I updated to 3.2 and civ has crashed with no warning very early in the game - I didnt have the problem previously. Could it have something to do with using the Guillaume's 18 civ Earth Map? That is the scenario I was running when it crashed.

Also how do I make use of the winamp addition?

Thanks in advance.

=) Happy to have turned a lurker into a poster! There have been two CTD's reported thus far. I can't say about the Earth Map--I'm not sure if that plays nice or not...time to start watching to see if these CTD's are flukes or not, but my experience is generally that one CTD means a problem in the python. Possibly the tech leak, but we'll see.

Black Rose said:
I take it you're a fan of Serenity or the Firefly series? :D

Indeed I am. So sad it got the axe, and then Wash dies in Serenity. But I loved the characters.

Black Rose said:
Think you could add tea, tobacco and chocolate/cocoa as resources? ...

Just a little thing that annoys me; in the late game it seems that cities just stop growing...

* Cities can share food...
* Cities with high elements of health...

Just a thought on your warlords version; will you remove things from warlords to maintain your mod, or the other way around?

Oh, and just one more -last -thing. Since buildings cannot be demolished or sold, could you make it so that clean power plants obsoletes polluting ones such as coal plant? Unless you plan on adding the effects together, that is.
Regards from Black Rose :king:

I probably won't add any more resources at present because they're getting harder to balance out, but I can see how they would work into a world map. You could substitute some of the resources (coffee for tea, eg).

With regards to city growth, I know what you're saying. The late game irrigation effects help, as do supermarkets (+25% in all cities), and now with global economy you can get +1 bread from all Towns. That'll help.

Powerplants: effects ARE cumulative. The "power" benefits only occur once, but if you build a coal plant AND a hydro plant, you'll get production benefits from both.

When I do warlords I'll make it up as I go. Some elements I'll remove from my mod where there's a better alternative in Warlords; for example, the warlords great wall vs. the current great wall, the Warlord unit, etc. Some things I'll keep from my mod...

Zorn said:
Wonderful job, especially the new civics.
I am not really sure if I like it that there are two that greatly reduce city maintainance availyble so early. But I haven`t played enough to make a sound judgement here.
Since everyone and his grandmother is requesting new features, I would kindly ask for Lopez route pillage mod to be included. No gameplay change, just the possibility to selectively destroy roads.

As for all the rest, the mod is just awesome. Especially early unit balance is great!

You really should get your own forum for it.

Thanks. (I'm afraid if I get my own forum I'll never be able to keep up with the posts and whatnot--as long as I'm here I can read everything!)

I thought a long time about those early maintenance modifying civics. Two factors went into my decision to make them as they are. The first is that it simply makes sense in those cases that maintenance will be lower. If your legal system is basically tribal elders and your economy is totally decentralized as a barter system, there's not a whole lot of infrastructure to upkeep!

The second factor is that I had already increased all of the maintenance costs in this mod--I have a hard time expanding at monarch and above because my economy starts to collapse. The new civics help balance that force in the very early game to allow expansion until you can establish some cities with Towns, Banks, etc and get things running.

Note that at some point those civics will start to hinder you despite their seeming large benefits. Barter system, for example, has no foreign trade routes, and those are MUCH more lucrative than domestic routes, so at some point you're better off getting into a system that allows foreign trade and paying more to keep your cities together.

As always we'll play with it and see how things work out. :goodjob:

Jazzbo said:
Sevo,
I know this has probably been covered earlier in the posts, but what is the name of the opening theme music you used in 3.2?

Children of Dune Soundtrack (Brian Tyler) -- Inama Nushif

Wonderful track that is supposed to be the Fremen language. Kinda makes you imagine vast sand dunes and empty space...perfect for the civ title screen!

civ4ludo said:
Strange CTD

It has happened twice in the same game. When I use a stack of knights (once 3, then 2) to attack a city, I hear the sound telling me what happened -- some die, some win -- but the graphics freeze, and there is no way out of it except by a 3-finger salute.
Any idea?

Lu

Lu -- I take it you were able to recover since you said it happened twice? Did you load from an autosave? If so did you do the same thing without any problems? Just trying to gather more data.

mqrt said:
I've finaly registered after lurking on these fora for months, just to say:
thanks Sevo (and all other devs)

:clap: Woot! Another lurker's first post in the thread! Glad you like the mod!

Silver said:
So, I was just thinking about some tihngs, and as I mulled it over, I had a (I think) new idea. I was contemplating the three radius cities over 2...

Great idea and clearly you've thought it out. It would certainly change the gameplay and perhaps make it more "realistic" as you pointed out. Obviously, it would be a tremendous project to get working and get balanced. I guess I just play with the cities as is accepting them as part of the "game" atmosphere, but you're right that places like the East Coast could never exist in a game of civ. The great plains actually support both coasts to a degree in terms of food production. There's no caravan mechanism or city food trade mechanism, so it just doesn't happen.

I probably won't implement one myself since I can't predict how it would affect the game and it doesn't bug me enough to change it and smooth it out. I am looking into the revolution mod, though, and trying to figure out how I'm going to address Warlords. Probably going to be a PITA. :mischief:

Patch A is posted. See the first page.

-Fixed TechLeak problem in untimed games
-Fixed missing pedia entry
-Fixed Slaves disappearing with Bondage

good news
great work as always every version of sevo mod gets a little better
than the one before :goodjob:
love the new civics :D .As a player who hated the way the game
caused your economy to fall apart if you expanded to fast ANYthing
that reduces costs is welcome .

bad news
mod worked fine .then I applied patch a now this python error screen
come up at the beginning of every turn

see post 2305 saved games not compatable

Brave Sir Robin said:
good news
great work as always every version of sevo mod gets a little better
than the one before :goodjob:
love the new civics :D .As a player who hated the way the game
caused your economy to fall apart if you expanded to fast ANYthing
that reduces costs is welcome .

bad news
mod worked fine .then I applied patch a now this python error screen
come up at the beginning of every turn

So I guess you asnwered the question in my mind..Its not compatible with savegame then, is it sevo?

Strange CTD

Any idea?

Lu -- I take it you were able to recover since you said it happened twice? Did you load from an autosave? If so did you do the same thing without any problems? Just trying to gather more data.

Sevo, I did not redo the same thing after recovering from autosave, I worked around it, single-unit attacking. (The 2nd CTD happened because I forgot :mischief: )
Attacking with stucks of other units (eg. Cavalry, Vietcong [playing Vietnam]) did not generate the same problem so far.
Lu

HI i have a big problem...mod worked fine(3.1c)then I applied update 3.2 and now i can't play.I can't run civilopedia and in game i don't have any interface.I have reinstal path1.61.reinstal mod and I clear cache and customassets..and it didn't work.

Just finished a game(no patch a) with Hiram(phoenecian, random civ), normal speed, noble, all default except for space race, standart map with 10 civs, 2 continents and it was AWESOME! A lot of fun! I did met my first civ in like 5 turns and right after I met 2 more lol, I perceived that there was not much space to expand south(I was north with the sea) so I just closed the way for north with 2 cities then they couldent build up there a city :> But I thought wrong and in the end I could build only 5 cities lol..But ok, my empire was doing pretty well, the sulmarian was in my front but only with like 50-100 points, but they were warlikes -.- Shortly after alexander and korea declared war on me at same time(bastards!! Im not good in the military aspect of the game lol) he declared war on a friend of me(we all were in the same continent) and annihilated him really fast -.- By this time because of that and of my war, he got way away of me in the score..Then I could handle Alex(if he excuse me) and the koreans till I could ask for peace and right after that a little city of them joined my empire cuz of culture(love it :>), what was just about time cuz then the sumarian declared war on korea and again exterminated them really fast with a alliance with alexander. Just after that the only city with iron of the sumerians joined my empire by cultural again(I didnt even had cultural trait lol, they could at least build a temple in their city to avoid it an? :p) and then they calmed down lol..But then I already perceived that it was hopeless for me to try a war againt them or to win with socre because they were over almost all the continent, for exception only of me and 3 cities of the greeks, then I saw that, again, the only way was try a cultural victory or diplomatic, and even tihs was hard because I didnt have the appropriete traits, he did build a lot of ancient wonders already and about diplomatic, he was not bad in repitation with the civs left in the game..So I did my researchs all way up to rock in roll and so on, built Eiffel tower, rockinroll, broadway and so on, did all possible for get it, in the end my culture was 100% lol, and about the diplomatic aspect, I was always losseing cuz frederick had +14 with him and +13 with me, cuz of +1 he was always voteing for him -.-...Anyway I won cultural victory with about 10 turns left :p

Wonder if 1 day I will win in any other way than cultural or diplomatic lol ^^

Ps: only 1 thing that i dunno if is right, when I adopted free religion, i could keep my state religion, is it normal? Cuz first time useing it lol, but a bit odd cuz AI always has no religion in tihs civic..

Hey everyone. I really like the Sevomod and adding Dales Combat Mod bombardment makes it even better. However, since I upgraded to 3.2 it looks like the 'Three Square Radius Cities Mod' is no longer working. Does anyone have experience with this mod and how I might go about getting working again?

Thanks,

Ralph C.

Attachments

• t3_5.gif
    t3_5.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 315
Ah, @Black Rose, sorry to say but my cities were growing a lot in late game lol, my capital had like 25 population? or was it 28(what is the limit?) and still growing relatibely fast, as the others as well! The global marfket civc is great for that(althogh the stupid AI aprooved in the last 5 turns in the UN global civic as envirolism(what is the name in english? lol) and it suxs lol, almost all my cities were startiveing then, but my capital was still growing 0.o), I tihnk this is really balanced for me :) Or perhaps I had just a lucky terrain in game lol

About the three radius city..Wasent it only a addon for the mod? Anyway I love the idea!

Someone know why it doesn't work???I redownloaded ver 3.1 and it works...any solution??

Top Bottom